Miliary Dermatitis And A Heart Murmur

doddsington

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Rudy has very bad miliary dermatitis. Due to his heart murmur he cannot have allergy injections :( his vet has him on apoquel...a dog allergy medication that Michigan State Univerisity animal hospital near us has been using on cats successfully in recent years, and that helps, but we have a flare up right now! His skin has patches of leaky itchy scabs! We put him on a grain free green pea and duck natural balance diet 6 years ago and he would only have flare ups sometimes. I'm at a loss of how to help him. Can anyone lend advice?

Attachments

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has allergy issues. What we did:
1. Flea medication.
2. Changed diet. You can try a new single source diet of unique protein.
3. Removed scented litter. Placed new litter.
4. Put him on meds til it dies down, mostly due to his self trauma. Antibiotic. He needed a cone collar, and antihistamine or cortosteroids, sooner but the vets weren't helpful for self trauma.
5. Trimmed his nails.

It is taking awhile but seems to be dying down a bit after directly addressing the source of the allergy, and the self-trauma and stress issues. You could be treating him for allergies reaction but not removing the cause of it.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can also treat the "ouchy" spots topically with well-chilled chamomile tea. It is safe internally for cats, in the proper doses, so you don't need to worry about him ingesting it while grooming. It is very, very rare for a cat (or a human) to have any allergic reaction to chamomile, but since he does have allergies, try it on only one spot. Observe it after an hour or so, and if there is no additional inflammation, you're good to go! OH...you can use it on yourself for skin irritations, as well! Works like a charm on eczema.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doddsington

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hope it gives him some relief. One of our members used it on her cat, and it worked so well she started using it on her own eczema...she's sleeping through the night without scratching now!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doddsington

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet ended up changing his food(again) and giving him the comfortis tablet(for flea medication as she found flea dirt on him-we just bought and moved into a new house) and he's now having diarrhea:( it's been a week of diarrhea and she's prescribed him a probiotic which has not helped. I think it's his new food, but his allergies are gone! So it seems as if his new food cured his allergies but is causing diarrhea. Idk what to do for him as we're on 4/7 of the probiotic tablets and the vet said to not change his food back. His tummy is upset cause he's meowing for grass outside that I've been picking for him.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try canned pumpkin. That can sometimes get things solidified again.