Mild Corneal Ulcer Help

vincentthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vincent got a scratch on his eye on New Year's Eve, presumably from the other cat that lives here. He was keeping his eye shut and it was watering a lot so I gently opened it and there was a visible scratch right across his eye.

I took him to the vet right away and it costed me a lot of money. They looked at him and gave me eyedrops to put in his eyes every 8 hours for 4-5 days. I did the eyedrops perfectly for about 3 and a half days. His eye seemed to be completely better even after two days. However, this morning (the 6th) he squinted his eye a little bit for a while. It's opened all the way now but I don't know if I should do the eyedrops again and I cannot afford the vet. If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated. 

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
You should always continue the full course of medication. I'm not sure if it's antibiotics or steroids you were given, but either way, you should complete the treatment. If unsure, why not call the vet? A follow-up over the phone sounds reasonable to me and not something that should cost you money.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vincentthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't like making excuses but after I had done his drops regularly and on time for 3 days, I had to go back to work and I work long hours. I had to rely on my boyfriend who didn't actually do the drops...

gammeldame

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had to treat my outdoor/stray cat with eye drops and I was only able to do the drops in the morning before work and 10 hours later when I got home, even though the vet said every 8 hours. His eye did heal from the abrasion, so if you still have drops left, do give them to him for a few more days.