Mild cardiovascular disease

pippin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure whether I should post this in Cat Heath or Nutrition- but anyway here goes :)

My pal has some fatty deposit buildup in his heart- it's quite mild at this point, but obviously I can't let it get any worse. His heart is otherwise healthy. Does anyone else here have a cat with similar issues? I've been told to put him on a low-fat diet- any recommendations for good canned food that's relatively low in fat? Or might anyone have nutritionally balanced home cooked (not raw) recipes for cats with such issues (preferably veterinarian approved)? I've heard very good things about Dr Lisa Pierson, but unfortunately cannot afford a consultation with her. 

Also was told to give him more fish oils- how much/often is good for cats?

Would really appreciate any advice/tips!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm not sure whether I should post this in Cat Heath or Nutrition- but anyway here goes :)

My pal has some fatty deposit buildup in his heart- it's quite mild at this point, but obviously I can't let it get any worse. His heart is otherwise healthy. Does anyone else here have a cat with similar issues? I've been told to put him on a low-fat diet- any recommendations for good canned food that's relatively low in fat? Or might anyone have nutritionally balanced home cooked (not raw) recipes for cats with such issues (preferably veterinarian approved)? I've heard very good things about Dr Lisa Pierson, but unfortunately cannot afford a consultation with her. 

Also was told to give him more fish oils- how much/often is good for cats?

Would really appreciate any advice/tips!
Tiki foods are pretty low in fat: our cats love their chicken recipes. Tiki isn't cheap but it's very good, low-carb food without fillers or lots of gravy. In case you haven't already seen them, Dr. Pierson's food charts (link to PDF here) include columns that show fat content.

Good luck! I hope you're able to find some good, low-fat foods your cat will like!

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, that is pretty unusual in cats. How old is he?

One good non-fish low fat canned food is Tiki Cat chicken. There are two varieties of the chicken, but both are very low fat. Dr. Pierson's site (www.catinfo.org) has a comparison chart of common wet foods available in the US broken down by protein, fat and carbs which should help you find other low fat foods to try. It is hard to find low fat foods that are also low carb though. :(

A high quality, human grade named fish oil like salmon or krill oil will help add good omegas to his diet. Generally one capsule split amongst two or three meals daily is a good amount.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pippin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, that is pretty unusual in cats. How old is he?

One good non-fish low fat canned food is Tiki Cat chicken. There are two varieties of the chicken, but both are very low fat. Dr. Pierson's site (www.catinfo.org) has a comparison chart of common wet foods available in the US broken down by protein, fat and carbs which should help you find other low fat foods to try. It is hard to find low fat foods that are also low carb though.

A high quality, human grade named fish oil like salmon or krill oil will help add good omegas to his diet. Generally one capsule split amongst two or three meals daily is a good amount.
Thanks guys!

Oh, I didn't realize that was unusual in cats! We're not sure how old he is exactly, he might be 9.