Migraines?!?

dinahcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I cant seem to get rid of this migraine that I have. I used to get them pretty frequently years ago.. and they have been alot more frequent lately. Acetominophen paired with advil doesnt seem to do the trick, as well as either of the two taken by themselves.

I'm not yet tired enough to go to bed, so.. laying down wont work for the moment.

Any suggestions??

ash_bct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grab a towel/face cloth, get it damp and microwave it... Make sure that its not too hot, don't burn yourself and fold it up so you can lay it across your forehead.
This always helps me while I am waiting for the pills to kick in~
Feel better

catherine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, I had them real bad last year at this time! Not a fun thing to have to go through. I would take the Tylenol Migrain medicine, lock myself in the pitch blck spare bedroom and pass out. I did this for about a week before going to the doc and getting some stronger med. but I don't remember what it was.

I hope you feel better soon! Give the tylenol migrain medicine a shot.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to get them pretty frequently, headaches, visual auras, ocular migraines...the works! My neurologist told me to breathe into a paper bag for awhile. Migraines are caused by the dilatation (enlarging) of the veins at the base of your skull. By breathing in carbon dioxide (rebreathing into a bag), the veins constrict, thus ending the headache. Ice applied to the base of the skull will achieve the same thing.

For long term results, I found that acupuncture worked wonders. It reduced the incidence from daily, down to once a month (just before a period).

I hope you feel better soon!

jaspers mummy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry your not feeling good
hope you feel better soon when I get a bad headach I like to make the room as dark as posible that seems to help
I hope you are feeling better soon

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would really recommend that you speak to your Dr. about medications that may work for you. Your Dr. may also refer you to a neurologist. There are several meds that are proving effective for many people suffering from Migraines. If one doesn't work, you could try a different one, but anything is better than the agony you are in now. I also get migraines and don't really prefer to take medication since it just knocks me out, but sometimes it finally serves as the best relief.
These other suggestions are wonderful, and I understand Acupuncture is fabulous for the longterm! Please take the best care of you, and feel better soon.

jazzy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a terrible migraine the other night on my left side of my head. I just took advil liquigels and it works fast.

kittykook

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get migraines sometimes too.....in fact....just had one about 3 days ago. I took 800mg of Motrin and a Lortab. (prescription pain medicine) I had some of the Lortab left over from when I hurt my back a couple of weeks ago. But even taking all that, it barely just took the edge off my headache.

As it turns out, I was coming down with a sinus infection that was causing my headache. I am now taking antibiotics and my headache is gone and I'm feeling better.

If you are prone to sinus pressure, taking a sudafed along with the tylenol will often work pretty good. (just take it early in the day because it might keep you up all night if you take in the evening) But the best idea is that if you're not sure what's causing your headache, go to the doctor to find out the cause.

Hope you feel better soon. I have headaches fairly frequently and I know how miserable they can be.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i used to get miagrains very badly,
My doctor told me because i was stressing too much and that i needed to relax.
I dont remember what i did but once i had a severe miagrain and my best friends mum was playing this tape for relaxing, It has the sound of waves from the ocean and stuff and that made my miagrain go away in an instant.
I sat on the chouch it was a dark room listening to it and it really worked.

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry you're not feeling well. Hope you feel better.

My dad gets migraines and he has a prescription medication for the migraines since he can't take advil. He also keeps the place dark and take some chocolate and a classic coke-cola and it works for him fine.

Fine what works for you though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dinahcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by greycat2

Sorry you're not feeling well. Hope you feel better.

My dad gets migraines and he has a prescription medication for the migraines since he can't take advil. He also keeps the place dark and take some chocolate and a classic coke-cola and it works for him fine.

Fine what works for you though.
Chocolate & Coca-Cola to relieve a migraine? I've never heard of this before. I wonder why it works? I thought caffeine wasnt good for a migraine?

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Chocolate can actually trigger migraines for some people. Caffeine is a double edged sword in its own. Both too much caffeine as well as lack of caffeine when you're used to it might trigger migraines.

I've been researching the subject for some time now and I've written several articles about this. You can read them at my site www.migraine-notes.com. You can also read my migraines blog there and stories by other migraine patients and I even added migraine news lately. Some pretty interesting stuff in the news about the most current research.

If you wish to add your migraine story to migraine-notes.com, please just drop me an email with your story and I'll publish it.

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DinahCat

Chocolate & Coca-Cola to relieve a migraine? I've never heard of this before. I wonder why it works? I thought caffeine wasnt good for a migraine?
For a true migraine, caffeine will only make the migraine worse. However, for a tension headache (Which, I hate to tell you all, is what the majority of you are describing) they will work wonders.