Migraines

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crazyforinfo

I don't like the sounds of that one. Is she going to the same Hospital?
If so they would have a record on when she is there and would have investigated a drug issue. If it is different hospitals, I would say it is a drug thing.
It is the same hospital, we only have one in our town, and the same doctor is always on call.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Godiva

Well, if she has health insurance, there are better ways to treat her migraines.
But yes, they gives shots that are very effective (for most cases)... and they contain a mild opiate. It doesn't sound to me like she has them the same day every week... just sounds like she gets them way too often and it's interfering with her ability to function at a job (I've been there).

There's nothing they can "find wrong" with you when it comes to migraines, there's no medical evidence they can test you for to prove you had a migraine or tell you why you had a migraine. So, maybe she doesn't have a brain tumor or aneurysm, but it sounds to me like she really needs preventative therapy as opposed to after-the-fact prn therapy.

I hope that helps.
She does have them on the same day though, she has just started new days lately. It has been every Tuesday for the last 4 months or so.

Recently she has added different days.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Godiva

That's a good point, but no one's business besides the person who is having the migraines, and her docs. I like to give patients the benefit of the doubt and privacy. I may be naive, but I've been on the end of it where they assumed something that wasn't true, and I didn't get treated like I should have because of it. Just IMO...
I know that it is not my business, I am just worried about what might be going on. She has two children that I am concerned about.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep so I got the migraine 8 days before my period for two months now. Very odd.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crazyforinfo

What works for you that isn't a prescription? I am hungry but afraid to eat anything. I am in dire need of ideas. Oh I tried an ice pack after the Excedrin & that didn't help either.
depending on the migraine...
i have an herbal/rice warmer pack that i keep in the freezer. not quite as cold as an ice pack, it's still quite cold, & heavy & it blocks light. good while i'm waiting for meds to kick in.
heat/hot bath soak sometimes helps. also using the shower massage on my head.
i have a homemedics shiatsu massager that i think is meant for necks but i use it for my head sometimes.
bio-feedback exercises - learned them about 25 years ago. they still sometimes ease the pain.
those mentholated sticky pads you can get at the pharmacy help, too.
but all of these are stop-gap measures until whatever i've taken starts to have an effect. i use imitrex injections when OTC meds don't work.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to add that biofeedback works! It takes some practice, and only on mild pain to get the hang of it, but once you figure it out, it's awesome. I can only keep it up for a little while at a time, and I only use it until something kicks in too. It's like intense meditation.