MIGRAINES! What do you do when they attack?

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get them, but not nearly as bad as some of the others here do. Mine usually start as sinus headaches that blossom into a migrane. Once they become migranes, though, they can last 4-5 days. I react badly to most of the prescription migrane meds, so I usually take Excedrin migrane and an extra dose of caffiene...and try to time them so the bounce-back happens at a time when I can be at home and nonfunctional.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom2SalemIsis

i get horrible migraines i usually black out the window in my room turn the air conditioner on high make sure that there are absolutely no lights coming from anywhere and that there is no noise in the room (if i can i get everyone not to make noise in the rest of the house) smells bug me too no one can cook anything cause i will do the same thing ill be leaning over the side of the bed over the trash can.and i stay in there till it goes away (after i usually pass out) if that dont work my husband takes me to the e.r and i end up getting a shot that knocks me out
Thats how I get them to, though I've only been to the ER once (thank god). There is nothing worse when its like that, right? Every sense is so intense

Usually takes a day for me to completely feel better, sucks!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like most of the others here, I get the extreme sensitivity to light & sound with my migraines. When the aura starts (it's visual with me) I head for the feverfew capsules. I take 2 or 3 caps with either a Pepsi or a cup of strong coffee, then lie down in a dark room for a while. I'd say that works about 75% of the time. I also have a prescription I can take if I need it, but it makes me feel kind of dopey, so I don't like to use it very often. Excederin for migraines sometimes helps, too.
I'd have to say my migraines are brought on by stress rather than foods. I can feel a severe tightening in the back of my neck & know I'd better do something to relax or I'm in for it.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually have about two migraines a week. They start out with a visual aura and progress to nausea and a throbbing headache. Imitrex works wonders for me (I've tried all of the tryptans, and only Imitrex works.) Midrin used to work for a while, but quit working. My migraines can be triggered by red wine and some processed meats, so I'm smart enough to avoid those things. I haven't really pinpointed any other definite triggers. I'd really like to have a hysterectomy because I think my migraines are made worse by the oral contraceptive that I've been on for years and years. If I can't talk my gynocologist into a hyster...I need to talk to my family practice doctor about trying a beta blocker as a preventative. I know some people who have had very good results with the beta blocker Topamax.

Pookie & the girls

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are horrendous, aren't they? Migraines are hereditary - my mother gets them, I do and both of my children do. You have to learn what your triggers are and learn to avoid them. I haven't had a migraine in a long time as a result. The worst one I ever had lasted 2 months, and I was off work, subjected to daily tests at the hospital, brain scans, dye being ejected everywhere, a spinal tap, and so on. For me, the warning signal is the light show - if I can get some Tylenol into me within 5 to 10 minutes of the light show starting, I can usually deflect the migraine! Usually being the operative word - not always!

I carry Imitrex with me for them, but haven't had to use it in years. If they last several days, sometimes a shot of demerol at the doctor's office or hospital will help. But not always. The best way to combat them is to find out what your triggers are! For me it's flashing lights, whether through moving blinds, traffic lights, a ceiling fan with lights that is on, or a severe change in the atmospheric pressure.

Migraines are terrible to deal with, and those that have never had one cannot even imagine the pain that you go through. Noise, light, even moving your head causes unbelievable pain. I think childbirth was easier.

I find that if you are seeking medical help for them, it helps if you track them on a calendar - write down start time and end time on each date. That gives the physician an idea of the severity and frequency of attacks and makes them more amenable to helping you.

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been getting migraine since puberty, but they're less severe and less frequent now than they used to be. I am not sound or smell sensitive at all, but lights, OMG, I can't stand it. There have been headaches where I've been praying for unconsciousness because the pain is bad enough to have me on the verge of passing out (and I don't mean falling asleep). I've tried imitrex and that sort of thing, but they're sort of a hit or miss for me and only work maybe a third of the time. Add to that the fact that they're expensive AND I have a history of having to take certain medications that are contra-indicated with them. So, I don't take them anymore. I have a running Tylenol 3 script, since my frequency is not as high as it used to be and the T3 is very affordable. I suppose eventually I'll develop enough of a tolerance and have to find something new or move up to something stronger, but for now one or two of those babies and a dark room for a long sleep works for me.

Once, I went to the ER and was told by an idiot of a doctor that when a migraine hits I should take 1 regular strength tylenol. 4 hrs later, if it's still there, I could take 2 regular strength tylenols. 4 hrs later, 1 xtra strength. etc...you get the point. I could have killed her.....if I could have moved. Also, she was asking me all these questions...um, I can't articulate answers and I WILL agree with whatever choice you give that will have the least follow up questions when I'm in that condition, so it was a complete waste.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leli

Once, I went to the ER and was told by an idiot of a doctor that when a migraine hits I should take 1 regular strength tylenol. 4 hrs later, if it's still there, I could take 2 regular strength tylenols. 4 hrs later, 1 xtra strength. etc...you get the point. I could have killed her.....if I could have moved. Also, she was asking me all these questions...um, I can't articulate answers and I WILL agree with whatever choice you give that will have the least follow up questions when I'm in that condition, so it was a complete waste.
Obviously someone who doesn't have migraines....................what about all the people you kill while your waiting for the aspirin to kick in?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I have had migraines since I was in elementary school. But they have lessened over the last few years. Generally, I will take a couple of Excedrine when the aura first starts and then get home ASAP to sleep in a dark room. It used to be that vomiting would help them. Not sure what triggers mine, but often it is right after a stressful time. Almost like the drop in stress causes them.

The scariest one happened when I was in my mid-teens where I thought I was having a stroke. My arm went numb, I had a hard time speaking. But it quickly went away and the headache came full force.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leto86

My aunt gets really bad migranes. She ends up in the ER at least once every other month or so because of them. They can't find anything wrong. She does have a strong medication that she takes, but if she doesn't take it before a certain time into the migrane, it won't work. As well as the Extra strength advil liqui gels every day to prevent the migranes.
Wow, do we have the same aunt? My auntie Laurel gets really, really bad migranes and she's been on nearly every medication and hardly anything works for her.
But when she gets a migraine she takes her meds, and has this pillow that takes the strain out of your neck/head. Then she has ear plugs and a eye mask. That seems to work for her.