Midnight's in surgery now

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm here late and want to add my prayers and good thoughts for Midnight. I'm glad your Midnight is home and is getting some sleep and I'm really glad that he wants to be with you.

Please let us know what the vet says tomorrow when you call. I, too, have had no experience with gabapentin.

for Midnight and lots of
for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet said that the Gabapentin is also as a neuropathic pain med. That's why she prescribed it for him. She said it's such a small amount he wouldn't have to be weaned off of it. He'll be ok just stopping it. Also because he hasn't done number 2 since Thursday, we have to bring him back tomorrow if he doesn't do number 2 today either.

Midnight seems to be doing better, he's doesn't appear to be in pain. He is limping, and a little wobbly. Again I stayed up all night with him in my arms, so he could sleep. He's doing so much better, I don't think we need to even give him this med anymore anyway. So we didn't give it to him yet. We'll see how he does, if he doesn't need it then we'll stop it now.

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's great to hear that you got some info from your vet. Hopefully everything goes well when you take Midnight off of the meds, and he won't have any side-effects. It's good that Midnight is feeling better, hopefully he will be his old self again soon!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It's good to hear he's doing better. If he's having trouble getting in and out of the litterbox, you could try disposable tinfoil (barbecue/roasting) trays or cake pans with some litter in them. Just make sure you get the ones without holes!

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

It's good to hear he's doing better. If he's having trouble getting in and out of the litterbox, you could try disposable tinfoil (barbecue/roasting) trays or cake pans with some litter in them. Just make sure you get the ones without holes!
Midnight is doing ok with the litter box now. We've got it down now. He lets us know when he has to go, we get him right in, and now he stands on his own, he doesn't need us to steady him anymore. If he'd just do #2 today he'll be doing even better, he won't have to go back to the vet tomorrow. But what you said is a very good idea. I'll keep it in mind if for whatever reason, he has litter box problems again.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can someone help me with this?

I don't know how to explain this, so I don't even know if you guys will know what I'm trying to say. I've only seen this 1 other time, with
Lynxx

About a couple of weeks before
Lynxx
died, the fur he still had left was dull, and wet looking, and kinda wet feeling, or rough feeling? His color had dulled. His fur was no longer soft. Midnight's fur looks, and feel just like that. Does anyone know what this is? I'm sure it's something to do with his surgery. Because he isn't sick. We'd wash him later on, but can't help his fur now, because we can't do anything to risk further hurting his paw. But is this just because of the surgery? Once he heals his fur will go back to his normal soft shiny fur?

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really have any experience with that... if you see your vet again maybe you should ask them. Has Midnight been licking himself as much since the surgery? When a cat isn't feeling well, they are less likely to lick themselves, which results in a lackluster coat. Maybe that's why Lynxx's coat looked dull when he was ill. That's just my suggestion, my advice would be to do some more research on the internet, and to ask your vet.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catbehaviors

I don't really have any experience with that... if you see your vet again maybe you should ask them. Has Midnight been licking himself as much since the surgery? When a cat isn't feeling well, they are less likely to lick themselves, which results in a lackluster coat. Maybe that's why Lynxx's coat looked dull when he was ill. That's just my suggestion, my advice would be to do some more research on the internet, and to ask your vet.
He has a cone, so he can't groom himself... I think that, plus the surgery, plus being off food for a bit and then changing the food, plus the stress of the surgery itself, and the medications... All of that together might be causing this - I wouldn't be too concerned about it; I think once he heals he will be just fine

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can always brush him and wipe him down with a damp wash cloth to help him clean himself. I'm sure he feels like I would after not being able to shower for a week!

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catbehaviors

Midnight can't groom himself, he's got that cone collar on supposed to be 14 days. But since he's able to get at his paw with the cone collar on, I guess maybe he doesn't really need it? He's going back to the vet tomorrow because he can't do #2 and he managed to get some of the stitch out of his paw. He's not bleeding but you can see the wound.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

He has a cone, so he can't groom himself... I think that, plus the surgery, plus being off food for a bit and then changing the food, plus the stress of the surgery itself, and the medications... All of that together might be causing this - I wouldn't be too concerned about it; I think once he heals he will be just fine
I know he didn't really eat at the vet's. I spoil them when it comes to their meals. They get 2 different can kitten foods mixed, then water added, then heated in the micro, mixed with a little dry food. I know the vet can't do all of that for him. So that's why he didn't really eat for them. He's eating now though, he's getting extra every meal. So he does eat, that's a good thing

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

You can always brush him and wipe him down with a damp wash cloth to help him clean himself. I'm sure he feels like I would after not being able to shower for a week!
I'm going to wipe him down. I'm sure he feels terrible not being able to wash because of the cone collar. He is normally a very clean little guy.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard that a little bit of canned pumpkin (just pumpkin, NOT pumpkin pie filling) mixed with his food might help loosen up his stool a little bit.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
kluchetta we took Midnight to the vet this morning, they did give him something to make him go. He did go there. I will keep your suggestion of canned pumpkin in mind for any future problems.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how, but some how last night while Midnight was in his carrier. He got his cone collar off of him.

Midnight was in his carrier so I could clean his and Luna's dishes for the night. He was sound asleep when I finished. So I left him there, not wanting to wake him. Luna and I were falling asleep on the bed. His carrier was right next to the bed. I woke up to Midnight's urgent meows. Usually those meows means he's got to use the box. So I took Luna out of the room. I can't have her pounce him, while he's going. I came back opened his carrier door, and saw his cone collar was off of him. It was laying in back of the carrier. I have no idea how that happened, how he was able to get it off. His meowing was probably because it hurt coming off. I don't know how he didn't choke, or cut himself.

He was so happy having it off. That we decided to leave it off. Plus we didn't know how to put it back on. I called my father we checked Midnight over, his neck was fine. Of course the moment he got on my bed he began biting at the stitches in his paw. He pulled the stitches out. He was bleeding a little, not dripping blood, but a little blood. So we cleaned him up. We quickly figured out how to get the cone collar back on him. We wrapped gauze around his paw.

This morning right when the vet opened, we were right there with Midnight to get him checked over. They gave him a new cone collar. They fixed his paw, and bandaged it. This is 1 very stubborn kitten who is going to fight this until he's healed.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by My4LLMA

kluchetta we took Midnight to the vet this morning, they did give him something to make him go. He did go there. I will keep your suggestion of canned pumpkin in mind for any future problems.
Oh good, glad he went!
And don't ask me how, but it works for diahrrea too!