midnight knows I'm going away- I think she's moping at me

soopermouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm going on holiday for a week. Midnight will stay home  and my neighbour who is a nice kind lady will come daily to give her food and pettings.

But i think she knows I am going and she's moping. Normally she's all over my lap and purrs like a little tractor. Today she's distant and gives me the big eyes look. She looks sad. Earlier she had a load of treats- cooked prawns and some sausage. For the past hours she's sat on a cupboard staring at me and when i put her on my lap she didn;' purr, just went away and continued to give me the big eyes.

My old cat back home knew in advance when I was going away- when I left my homeland he was distressed for 3 days and ran constantly around the house meowing.  Next time I saw him he apparently sat at the front door for 2 hours before I got home.

Then I never saw him again. It's been 10 years and I still can't help crying when I remember my little baby Morisu Mitzu Pisu.

I love Midnight. She is cute, smart, overdemanding, affectionate, my little baby princess.

I feel awfully guilty to go on holiday without her.

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh golly, I SO know that look. 

This sounds a bit odd, but when you think about it, can you shift your thoughts?... ie, not have 'oh dear' ones, as I'm sure they pick up on it.  Jolly her along a bit. Lots of fun love and cuddles rather than guilty ones, if you know what I mean.

I'd also invest in a Feliway diffuser for when you are away.  And things around with your scent on them.

It's great you have someone who will love her a little while you're gone too.  I imagine that, since she's a kind lady, she'll make a bit of a fuss of her.

And we all need holidays.  You need to really enjoy it, for your sake and Midnight's.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

soopermouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
now she's decided to go all razy pouncy, attacking things, stealing papers and yet again hiding my passport. I am terrified at her intelligence

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry but I have to laugh first at the thought of the crazy play and stolen passport. Yes, they are scarily intelligent!

I agree with Mani, I think cats are amazing at picking up on our thoughts and emotions and will both pick up on changes in your routine and changes in your feelings.  Trying to overcome some of your guilt and anxiety is probably the most important thing to do. Do that together with the Feliway diffuser and leaving some of your things around to keep your scent about the home while you're away and I'm sure it will help Midnight a lot.  Try not to let 'that look' eat you up - she will do an even better job of making you feel bad when you get home. 
   You need a holiday to prepare for your return....

To help lift your mood and may be feel a bit better, if you haven;t seen it have a watch of this Simon's Cat video:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

soopermouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She tried to hide in my suitcase too. Thanks for the video