Midnight is confusing me

soopermouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As you may remember I had some problems with her peeing and pooing in my room. It's hard for me to detect it at times because my sense of smell was very poor, but today she did it while i was in here, with the door open to the room where her litter tray is.

So I took her to the vet who established that she is healthy, quite big for her 4.5 months- she is weighing 2.5 pounds and is muscular and active. She is playful, had all her shots, she is also very sweet and affectionate.

She is not in heat and the vet thinks we should only spay her at 6 months t ensure her growth is not stunted.

Her diet has not changed. She now has 2 litter trays which she uses.

Only problem we found was that she appears to have caught some fleas when Shandy was last in here but she got a bath- which she endured with very little fight and is now all OK.

So why is she doing it? Also, she isn't covering her poo in the tray. Never did.

She eats Felix wet food pouches and she likes the fish based ones most. She gets cooked chicken or raw tuna from the can 2-3 times a week. She gets  dry treats once a week. I am very weary of dry food because my first cat that I had in Romania developped kidney failure and died because of dry food at age 7. I am still very sad about that because that cat was amazing. My sweet Morisu Mitzu Pisu. 

Midnight is not unhappy. She is still a bit pouncy at night but she's learned to let me sleep. She is affectionate, chatty and sweet. When I am on my PC she comes from behind and taps me on my back to demand attention. Or she gets under my desk and paws at my knees to be taken on my lap and snuggled.

SO why is she doing this? What am I doing wrong? I want her to be happy and healthy. She has a nice bed she rarely uses because she prefers sleeping with me. She doesn't like toys but she spends hours looking in the mirror.

What am I doing wrong? Am I a bad mommy?

cat dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It could be she doesn't like the litter. You saying she doesn't cover up makes me think either her mom didn't teach her, or it hurts her paws. Is she declawed? Is she the only animal in the house?

Have you tried changing litters and using a litter attractant?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

soopermouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is not declawed.I have had her since she was 7 weeks old.... msybe dhe never learned?
I use the same make of litter as always and she's always been ok with it

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats just never learn to bury.  One of mine digs all around; without covering it.  

I've heard that some cats prefer a different place to pee and another for poos.  Could you try adding another box?  Perhaps even in your room where she keeps going would help.  At least as a temporary measure to get her to stop going on the floor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

soopermouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She has two boxes. I think maybe Cat Dad was correct- I went out and bought new litter and she immediately went in the litter tray so hopefully that's that. Thank you all for your help :)