Mid TN Shelter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nice, now the media is dragging all of the local shelters into this
BUT at least mine is used as the good comparison- the Action News 5 news crews came out to the shelter tonight and interviewed one of my bosses. (they came after i had left work for the evening.- she called me to tell me.) The interview was about our shelter's euthanazia policy and the proper way to humanely pts an animal and why what the other shelter did was wrong and what was wrong and very painful to those animals.

And to make things more of a coencidence- they also interviewed the vet that i take my wolf mix, Ginger to
It was kinda funny to see everyone i know on tv! But- he is a very good, reputable vet- and i hope that he got the point across to everyone watching that what was preformed was very painfull to those animals and very cruel. I pray that as a result of my bosses short interview and my vet's -that someone will really persue this case and prosecute those individuals who did this. What they did was anything but humane- it was aweful. Now that i've seen the video of how they were preforming their heart sticks- it makes me want to stroke! Some idiot was holding them - fully alert- no sedation while the doctor stabed them in the heart....some of them took a while to pass on- and suffered the entire time
Soo sad. I hope those people who did this get a punishment that matches their cruel actions.

Here's the news link:
http://www.wmcstations.com/Global/st...2&nav=menu59_2
(this is the story with the interviews and everything that aired on the actual news broadcast)

another link (this one's out of nashville- but the actual video of the people putting the animals down is in the link to the left - they actually did an interview with the scumbag who did it
)http://www.wsmv.com/news/14481336/detail.html

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catcaregiver

"On Friday, the shelter said it would no longer allow heart shots without sedation."

I can't believe they allowed it in the first place.
Thankfully something is being done about it now.
That's the problem- it's not allowed in their shelter's by-laws if you read it closely- and certainly not without sedation! The animal MUST be in a comatose state or heavily sedated before a heart stick can be administered- this is IF the shelter's rules allow them to begin with- this shelter in question's "laws" did not at all....period- no heart sticks allowed.

Keep in mind that the vet who did this got paid over $9 for every animal that was put to sleep- last year he made over $20,000. He was in it only for the money- a heart stick is one of the more quick ways to pts an animal- but to preform it properly- you have to wait a while for the sedation to kick in - so for the guy to do it without using sedation - he could do it much quicker, save money because he wasn't using sedation drugs, and he would have more animals to pts in a shorter amount of time which translates to more money going straight into his pocket
The guy disghusts me!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

conbrio

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update 11.05

On the news tonight there was a blurb about this story. main points were that the Vet was not longer allowed to come back, and the man in charge of the shelter resigned this past Friday. If I can find the story on the news website i will post the link.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by conbrio

Update 11.05

On the news tonight there was a blurb about this story. main points were that the Vet was not longer allowed to come back, and the man in charge of the shelter resigned this past Friday. If I can find the story on the news website i will post the link.
Thanks for the update! I'm glad that shelter is making changes. The staff and I at our shelter were shown the full video (not the edited one on the news links) - what they left out in that video was after the first heart stick on the dog- they just dropped it do the ground- they didn't show that the dog was staggering around dying for the next few minutes before he passed away. It's soo horrible how cruel people can be- i just don't see how people working in a shelter can be sooo darn heartless- i know all of the wonderful people i work with at my shelter love and care for each and every animal that comes through our door- it's hard not to. I'm soo glad those men will not be allowed back - i do hope that they recieve some prision time for what they've done though- i hope them just being asked not to come back and getting a little slap on the wrist isn't all that happens- they deserve to be locked up for what they've done - there's no excuse!

Here's the link to our station's video of the interview with my boss and one of my vet's (i posted the written link earlier- but now they have the video up- they edited a lot of it though)
http://www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7305312

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by conbrio

here is a link to todays story http://www.wsmv.com/news/14518883/detail.html

The blurb that I saw was not this one, it was later in the news cast. The link above did not state that the vet was fired or not allowed to come back, but the later blurb did.
I'm glad the people in the town are sticking to their guns and demanding something be done- i just hope the leaders listen. I think PETA needs to stay out of it though

conbrio

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update 11.06

According to the local news station that has been covering this story, the state powers that be are holding a hearing tomorrow about whether or not to revoke the vets license.

conbrio

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update 11.7

The vet has had his license temporally suspended for now. He has a formal hearing later this month whether or not to permanently take away is license.