Microchips - What are their purpose?

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
This is just a random thought that has crossed my mind and I would love to hear other's opinions and point of views on the subject. So, first and for most, are any of your furbabies microchipped and why? I've always cringed at the thought of having Felix or Smokey or any of my animals microchipped because I can't imagine doing it to myself. They are also so scared of outside, they never touch foot out there unless they are forcefully carried. My vet has also never recommended it so is it just for dogs?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Cats can be microchipped as well and it is a very safe procedure. The microchip itself is smaller than a grain of rice and contains all your information if your cats, for some reason, escape. The microchip is also inserted skin deep so it doesn't damage any organs. Cats with microchips have a dramatically greater chance of being reconnected to their humans than cats without a microchip, even if the cat normally wears a collar, because collars will "break away" to prevent from strangling your cat if s/he gets caught on something. In the end, the decision to microchip is up to you. I'll attach a link to an article if you're interested in reading more:

http://www.animalplanet.com/pets/5-reasons-cat-microchipping-is-important/

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Microchips are a "must" for me, even for indoor cats, especially after working at an animal shelter. A microchipped stray is generally back home within hours. One without a microchip may be at the shelter for days or weeks, or never reunited with its owner. Microchipping is a very simple procedure that most pets barely seem to notice - just a quick injection.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hekitty will be microchipped when she goes in for her annual checkup and shots in April.  

Hekitty is also an indoor cat, but that isn't a guarantee of safety.  This is a perfect illustration.  About 4 years ago while I was at work my water heater blew up.  It was a HUGE deal.  It knocked power out of 12 apartments and totally flooded the apartment below me.  The fire department was called, along with the police department, the electrical folks and the water department.  One of the neighbors headed out to get me home, but in the uproar of emergency personnel entering to make sure nothing was burning and trying to get the water off, Hekitty panicked and ran.  Now, she's a canny girl, and she went down my stairs and right back up the next door stairs, turned left, and scooted in that apartment.  Right directions, wrong stairwell.  HOWEVER, it was closer than I care to think, and what if the building had been on fire?    What if this building catches fire?  I THINK I could make it out while holding her, but maybe not.  SO...I want her chipped. 

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I got Honeybee microchipped. It was an easy injection. It has all 4 of my phone numbers and email addresses and my dad's info and Jon's info. That way if something happened to me they could still contact dad and Jon. If one or both pass away I will update it with someone else but so far I haven't met anyone who I trust as much as my dad n Jon. That's the crappy part of trying to find a reliable source to take care of the cats. I would have to put her on a plane and fly her to any of my online friends before I would trust anyone in my area.

Microchipping is safe and a must.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too believe they are important to have. Always better safe than sorry!
Since Sammie is indoor/ outdoor, she is also microchipped. If for some reason she lost her collar, which happened Monday, by the way, (& was picked up for some reason) I feel better she has it, so she can be returned to me. There are strays around my neighborhood, & I've seen at least one other black one, so wouldn't want her to be mistaken for a stray, by wearing a collar.
When she came in Monday afternoon, I noticed her collar was gone!
I said, "and where is your collar young lady?!" I made her stay in While I went & got a new one & tag.
She didn't like that, but oh well! Most of the breakaways are a little too easy to breakaway.
I found a Kong brand breakaway that was a little tougher to get open, so bought that. It's a dark pink, w/ a defective strip down the middle. I also got her a new tag. A pink heart w/ her name on it, & on the back,
Mom, & my cell #. (I was mad, because I forgot I wanted to add "microchipped.")
I always get a glow in the dark, or reflective collar. I do make her come in at night, before dark, but being a black cat, I figure it helps w/ more visable anyway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! Thank you everyone for your responses. My eyes have been opened! I think I'd like to have my new dog microchipped because it's harder to find them if there is no identification.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sammie's new collar & tag.
I was spelling her name w/ a "y" because at first, thought she was a boy, (for Samuel) until our vet visit. But then kept it that way, because I liked it, & my name ends in a y, But, everyone else was spelling it "right" for a girl, so I gave in & changed the spelling on her new tag. That's OK, now I can just top the i with a heart when I write it! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Correction on my first post. Reflective, not defective.
Gotta love autocorrect. ..Not!!
Also don't want her mistaken for a stray by not having a collar on.

boydogcatmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is just a random thought that has crossed my mind and I would love to hear other's opinions and point of views on the subject. So, first and for most, are any of your furbabies microchipped and why? I've always cringed at the thought of having Felix or Smokey or any of my animals microchipped because I can't imagine doing it to myself. They are also so scared of outside, they never touch foot out there unless they are forcefully carried. My vet has also never recommended it so is it just for dogs?
I wholly recommend microchipping your cat, even if it's not an outdoor cat. My small cat was the victim of a "good samaritan euthanasia" two weeks ago because he was neither wearing a collar nor microchipped. He was sick, and had taken a turn for the worse over that weekend. He'd been trying like crazy to get outside, even though he hated being outside. I went to my vet's office to pick up his medication that Monday, and when I got home it was time to feed him his wet food. We put the food out, but he didn't show up (which was highly unusual). Long story short, one of my neighbors found him outside and called animal control. Animal control saw that he was sick and took him to the vet (the same office I was at). They thought he was too far gone, so they euthanized him. I managed to get his remains back, and we buried him on our property. Please, please, please get your cats microchipped! I might still have my small cat had I done that.