micro chipping

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mskitty666

Each year when they have their annual exams, i request that they be scanned to verify the chip is still good.
I have never had my kitties micro-chips re-scanned to be sure they are still working.
Next time they are at the vets, I am going to request that they do that.
Thanks for sharing that exellent idea.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats are all indoor/outdoor and so far I've had 16 microchipped with Avid chips. One of my chipped cats disappeared last spring though never to be seen again. She never went toward the road so I am thinking that someone may have taken and kept her because she disappeared in the past for a week and more at a time, always returning home eventually and never looking any worse for the absence.

There are three that have not been chipped and they are outdoor ferals. One that comes in from time to time may eventually go in for the whole ball of wax, but at this time I can't afford to do more than feed and keep them as warm as possible.

Boo-Boo and Sassy just got their chips when they were spayed so now I have to send in the registration information to Avid for the last 6 cats and we will all be up to date again. Whew!

Oh yeah, the previous vet charged $25.00 each for the Avid chips and the one I am with now charges $29.50 each.

This concludes our life history of microchipping.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Very interesting...

I had no idea, before reading about it in this thread, that the chips might stop working....
this is not good news.

I wonder if the micro-chip company (mine is AVID) would pay the vet to replace it if it does not show on a scan.
One would think that either the vet or the micro-chip company would guarantee the chip.

Also... does anyone know if this is a wide spread problem with chips?

It seems like it might be good to have the chips scanned at our kitties annual exams to be sure they are still working.

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The scanning issues are exactly the reason why Chester wears a collar. He has his name, ID# and the petwatch phone number on his collar, so I can change my information when I move (student) but I'm always assured that he'll find his way home.
On a side note, apparently his has moved into his shoulder area. Strange eh?

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sylorna

On a side note, apparently his has moved into his shoulder area. Strange eh?
The chip has moved to your Kittie's shoulder area?

How did you find out about this?
If the chip is migrating, has anyone addressed the issue of a potential health problem?

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

It seems like it might be good to have the chips scanned at our kitties annual exams to be sure they are still working.
I always do Lei, and will be even more so because i've had to pay the microchip company an admin fee to have the girls new address changed on their records. Rosie's has been confirmed by letter but i'm still waiting on Sophies, but if i havent heard anything this week i'll be ringing them.

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

The chip has moved to your Kittie's shoulder area?

How did you find out about this?
If the chip is migrating, has anyone addressed the issue of a potential health problem?
When he was brought in for his first year checkup the vet could feel it under his skin in that area. She said it was quite common in very active cats (which he was at the time) to have some migration and not to worry about it. Also, right after that we had to see a cardiologist because he has a severe heart murmur. There were chest ultrasounds done and the cardiologist never brought it up as an issue.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad that the chip has not cause any health problems.
I hope that your kitty is doing OK.

Next time my cats go to the vet...
and every year after that,
They will be scanned to be sure their chip is working.

This has been very useful information.
Thanks

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Microchips move all the time. When I brought Frito home I ( he was very tiny ) I felt his microchip a couple weeks later and his had moved to his side. He is too chunky now to feel it.

One time we fould a microchip in a dog foot. Go figure! This is why when we scan animals at our shelter they get scanned everywhere on their body.

Anyway I am glad to hear people are microchipping their cats. Two cats went back to their owners this week because of a microchip. One Handsome Jack had been missing for a month. Then Linus who had been missing for two weeks went back home as well.