Mice

whiterabbit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We've got mice. I know that because my kitty caught a mouse today, but wasn't experienced enough to kill it and let it go. I heard the cat bustling in the kitchen when I went to get a drink. Then I heard her making strange sounds on the stairs (probably she wanted to hand in her trophy to my husband in the bedroom but then changed her mind). I saw her holding something having like a stick on a side. No, it was a tail. She noticed me, walked down and put the thing on the floor. The mouse was alive and well and ran behind the bookcase. It looked like a regular house mouse. The kitty tried to catch it, but it was too late. At the moment I felt like catching the mouse myself and we could hunt it together. But it was too late and the bookshelf was too heavy. Now she's sitting where the mouse disappeared behind the furniture and probably waiting. It's night, I have to go to sleep. 

Should we set up mouse traps or something? How can we set them up so the cat doesn't get trapped? I don't mind the cat having fun hunting, but she never caught a mouse in her life. Or should we trust her instincts? 

Last edited:

lynx13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats are natural hunters & ninjas. When cats prey they could kill it is prey to eat it or they attempt slowly killing it for their own amusement but a cat can't focus well close up, and sometimes must release the prey in its mouth to get a good look and a proper grip. Both to prevent the catch from escaping and for the cat's own self-protection, prey is preferably motionless before it is released. Thus the cat, whether wild or domestic, "plays" with its catch. In fact, this is an attempt to stun the victim into unconsciousness.

When you came in the cat lost it focus thus, she lost it is prey. Once confident of the prey's submission, the cat uses its sensitive whiskers to feel for signs of movement before it delivers the killing nape bite. Then, it's back home with the kill if there is a litter to feed. Or, as is the case with most wild and feral felines, it's time for a fast-food meal on the spot or even to show it to you to let you know that "I like to hunt, now where is my trophy? "

If you want to get rid of that mouse in your way, set up the traps and close the doors to prevent the cats form getting in.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Lol, I don't know what kind of cats you have, but that doesn't describe any of the cats we ever had. XD

In My experience most domestic/non-feral cats don't have a clue how to kill mice. So they'll just kinda pick on them and carry them around till they die.

I second setting up traps if you don't want to wait.