Mexican Food

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Authentic Mexican is like any ethnic food - whatever can be pulled together to make a meal. You have a lot of variation by region, too. (no, I don't mean cali or tex, I mean in Central America and Mexico)
And yes, the real stuff isn't the highly seasoned Tex-Mex that most people know.

My area has a lot of Hispanics, so much so that the grocery stores all carry beef tripe and a lot of Mexican products. Who here has seen muenudo on a mexican restaurant menu, for example?
(if you have, it's not that common).

Tortillas are ridiculously simple to make, that's why they were made in the first place. Just like how fry breads are all simple, too.

There wasn't any excuse for the loud music, however. That was just bad taste.
we have a great mexican restaurant that has muenudo weekly usually, I do not eat it

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Krazycatlover

I like fake Mexican Food. Im not so sure about real Mexican food though
I 'm with you! I used to travel quite a lot for work, and once I was working in Calexico, so some of us went down into Mexico for "real" Mexican food. I found it to be really bland!! I'll take the fake stuff any day.

Although, I have to add to the above statement (mine), that my former father-in-law did some missionary work in deep Mexico, and he taught me how to make tacos and stacked enchiladas (with a fried egg on top) the way they taught him, and they are mighty tasty! Not all that spicy, but very flavorful, none the less. Yummy. Now I'm getting hungry

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work with several people who immigrated from Mexico. One lady her family gets together and makes tamales and she brings them to work to share. I could eat a great deal of them. Another I observed using a little jar of seasoning on his food and asked to try it and it was wonderful. His mother (whom I also work with) makes it as she used to have a restaurant in Mexico. I bartered some produce for her seasoning. Not sure what is in it salt, chili peppers?? its great on vegetables. He have a good hispanic population and several Mexican gorcery stores, Mexican restaurants owned and run by Mexican and several booths at local farmers markets. I like it!!