Metronadizole (Flagyl, "metro") is genotoxic and potentially carcinogenic

ankitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just saw your article at CatCentric.org. Thank you for writing this. My cat didn't do well with Metronidazole, and I noticed that vets prescribe it so too often. 

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know, my cat was on it for two months at a pretty low dose until he went on prednisone  and everything went to hell so we stopped everything.  I do have 5 refills left though, so you are right that he could have been on it for months.

sarah ann

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Very interesting. I personally had a severe reaction to metronidazole so I won't be taking it again.

Not sure why you can't use Fenbendazole for giardia instead of metronidazole?

Cancer studies are a funny thing... some drugs or herbs work both ways. They may increase the risk for some cancers and decrease the risk for others. Aloe Vera and quercetin come to mind. Then there is the issue of rodent studies. Some rodents are genetically prone to cancer... I had one line of gerbils that all developed cancer and another line that never did. So where are these studies getting their rodents from? Say a study accidentally uses all the cancer prone rodents in the experimental group? Or genetic relatives who are prone to cancer end up with more relatives in one group than the other?

If an animal who is genetically prone to cancer develops cancer how do you know it is from that drug? Or just the animals genetics?

Even if the drug might increase the risk of cancer in rats doesn't mean it will apply to a different species, especially when different doses are used.

If the rat developed cancer after being on a drug for two years at ten times the normal dosage, would it apply to cats who are on a much lower dosage for a shorter time period?

Another consideration is that cats are less likely to have cancer than dogs. Species makes a difference! I would assume cats are more resistant to cancer than rats. Most rodents tend to have very high cancer rates (maybe scientists are just inbreeding them to much!).

I would use an alternative drug if possible. But if it's really necessary I would not be afraid to use the drug on my cat!

ankitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search2/r?dbs+hsdb:@term+@rn+443-48-1

Multiple studies showing statistically significant increase of cancer in mice in higher doses. If higher doses increase cancer cases, genetically prone or not doesn't matter. Also, these studies probably use mice from the same strain so that genetic factors are unlikely to affect the results. Lower doses seem ok. After all, almost every herb or vitamin I buy these days has California Prop 65 warning. 

Last edited: