Metro issue?

suzieq77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well Mickey has had 3 doses of the metro and things have taken a strange turn.Last night he peed on his carpet on the floor.I didn't see him do it but it was right where he lays by his favourite scratching box.e has seemed out of sorts ever since he started it....worse than when he was sick.

The day I took him to the vet she gave him his first pill at 2:30 and at 4:00 he had a normal bm.There is no way that one pill worked that fast!!! I'm debating stopping the metro because it seems to be making him worse.
Any suggestions or experience with this???

mycatpaulie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, my cat Paulie was on metro last week for soft stools and my vet told me if he acts druck to call her right away. It did seem to make his stools worse too but I think it's an antiboitic so I don't know if it can just be stopped. I did finish the 5 days but it didn't improve his stools at all. Yesterday we sent out a stool sample and they took a swab. Please call your vet and ask, I wish I could help you more but Paulie is my first cat so I don't know too much about medication yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

suzieq77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply
He doesn't seem to be acting drunk just sleepy and the pee issue plus he seems to be obsessively licking his bottom.I'm totally terrified to give him another pill.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Metro can cause neurological issues due to the class it's in. It causes pretty bad ones for me and its why I can never have it again. Though supposedly less common in animals, it can happen so call your vet.

suzieq77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could that be whats causing the obsessive licking too? I just can't help but feel that even if he hadn't been to the vet he would have been fine on Monday.

I'm sure you'd have to agree that 1 hour for a pill to work is impossible right?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by suzieQ77

I'm sure you'd have to agree that 1 hour for a pill to work is impossible right?
It absorbs pretty quickly, so it could have been at peek levels within an hour - though I don't know if it would have already did what it needed to do in the GI tract.

suzieq77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thats what my husband said too.Although he keeps calling me a "helicopter parent"
This is Mickey first real issue and the first baby I ever had that was all mine not shared by my mother.I just think that maybe I jumped the gun going to the second vet.She perscribed the metro because she said it sounded like he had a overgrowth of bad bacteria in his tummy.Something just feels off to me.I can't give him another pill.
God I hope I'm doing the right thing.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have used Metro on two of my cats several times with fantastic results, and no issues - it is a great drug for what it is intended... Your cat can be having a side effect, but also can be having something that is not related to it. Please call your vet before stopping it and before jumping to conclusions - only a vet can guide you on things like this, nobody over the internet is really qualified to do so. This is an antibiotic, and should be stopped under veterinary supervision IMHO.

suzieq77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to thank everyone for their time and paitentce with me.I called my vet and spoke with the tech.She said that the metro shouldn't cause this problem but if it is making very sleepy he may have just peed in his sleep (poor little guy).She also said I could stop giving him the pills based on the info I gave her and just to be aware and watch the peeing issue.If it happens again I will bring her in a urine sample.

Thank you again to everyone for your help and understanding