Metacam!!

dncngqn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, my three year old female cat was recently spayed and given Metacam, of which I didn’t know the controversy at the time. She took the prescribed dosage from the Wednesday to the Sunday and had no side effects to note. However, after I stopped the dosage over a week ago, is there any chance now that it could cause any effects after she’s been off it for over a week? Thank you.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm not sure anyone can answer that question. Probably everything will be fine. She could develop kidney disease in 10 or 15 years and maybe, just maybe it could be from the Metacam, but I sincerely doubt it. Lots of things could happen to her in her lifetime, or, hopefully, nothing health wise will occur. Life is a roll of the dice.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, you can find something bad about nearly every medication out there, and even about almost every food out there. Try not to worry. Your Vet would not have used Metacam if it weren't safe to do so. Yes, some cats have bad reactions to it, just as some have bad reactions to other pain meds. Same with people. You just do the best you can for your little one and go from there :alright:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The thing about looking up medication on the internet, is it will ALWAYS be skewed towards the negative. Afterall, how many people with cats who has normal or mild reactions will be out on the internet posting about it?

Those people will have moved on, perhaps even forgotten the name of the medication.

Nobel had medicam for years with no issue. Another cat may have an allergy to it.

Even with human medicine, there's long term side effects of Tylenol and Advil. But there's also long term effects from living in pain.

It is good to know what to watch for in terms of side effects. I always read the manufacturer's notes and check on the VCA website for their list. I search: medicine name cats VCA and it usually comes up.

Meloxicam | VCA Animal Hospital | VCA Animal Hospitals

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also with medicine the vet will weigh the pros and cons of whatever it is. If the pros of using the medicine outweigh the negatives then it is to the vet better to move forward with it than without.
Same with different options of medicines. They will give the one that has the best chance of having a better outcome than the other.

Everything A Alldara said is spot on as well. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Whenever you have any questions about medicine or procedures being done ask the vet what other options are available and what the outcomes would be for each. This might help put your mind at ease in the future

ipnotica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Roxie, was injured at age 15 and she had to have a drain put in her wound. She already had kidney disease at the time, and one of the drugs they prescribed for her was Metacam. She recovered from her injury and we were able to give her a comfortable, happy life for another 3-4 years.

Wishing you and your kitty all the best ❤

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I truly hate Metacam and wish vets wouldn’t use it. That being said, If your cat is young, her hydration was and is good, and she got fluids during the surgery, she will probably be fine. But nobody knows for sure.
Many cats get Metacam and do okay after. It is usually the cats that are compromised that have issues. The cats, whose blood pressure dropped to low during surgery, or weren’t kept warm during recovery, or didn’t eat well once returning home, they can have issues.
With these kinds of medications it can damage some cat’s kidneys, but cats can survive just fine with one kidney.

I see much more damage done with Lillies than Metacam. But still, I personally wouldn’t use it on my cat.