Metacam Safe in Cats?

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is a subject that is always up for discussion and needs to be aired every once in a while, so that people can discuss it with their vets when necessary and make informed choices. Personally, I never allow my cats to be given Metacam.

stevie61

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had two cats who have been given Metacam, first of all both of them immediately reacted badly, assuming the crouching posture that indicates discomfort in many cats, definitely in mine, clearly feeling sick and uncomfortable. Both subsequently developed kidney issues, the first cat suffered total renal failure, the second now has enlarged kidneys. Neither had renal problems prior to taking Metacam. From my research, Metacam is widely recognised to cause problems, there are alternatives. I now insist on an alternative when pain medication is required. Personally I believe your concern is wise, especially as your cat is young. In all my research, even the sites which recommend Metacam, it is quite clear that long term use is dangerous to a cat.

I do hope your cat becomes well and happy soon, and lives a joyful, love-filled life.

Atb

Stevie

stevie61

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello there, I have just joined this group, partly because I am so upset at the vets who try to force us to give this drug to our pets. Having read your post, my heart goes out to you. I do hope that your cat is feeling better by this time as I realise your post is not recent. I felt so betrayed when I realised my vet had been giving a drug he knew was detrimental to the health of my cat. By the time I had found out what Metacam did, my cat was very ill. I took her off it immediately, but permanent damage had been done. 

But, I just wanted to mention a medicine my sister sent me, called 'Astro's Oil' (I think) 

I had spoken to her about the terrible effect Metacam had had and she told me she had tried this stuff and it had helped her cat, she insisted on sending me some to try.

I tried this on Kettle (my cat) and she went from total renal failure to "mild renal dysfunction" in less than three months. I continued to give the oil to her for several more years, till she died age 16. I am sure she would have lived longer if it hadn't been for Metacam, but also believe that the oil my sister sent me, helped to reverse some of the damage the Metacam had done.

I wouldn't have even tried the "Astro's Oil" if I hadn't been so desperate at the time, I am suspicious of palliatives and panaceas, especially for animals, but this really did seem to make a significant improvement to Kettles health. The cat I have now was given Metacam before he came to me and has enlarged kidneys and is subject to urinary tract problems, I am going to try the oil on him too. Mind you, Kettle HATED it, and took ages to forgive me for each dose I administered, but the improvement was visible, she began to play and hunt again, and stayed healthy for a few years more. 

Maybe do some research into this "Astro's Oil" and see what you think. I just thought I'd mention it.

I wish you all the best with your furry friend.

wildog47

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I goty cat spayed today. She is 8 months. She got the injection during the spay and the low cost soay neuter clinc I did it at only give metacam for 2 days. There was no alternative choice. Unfortunately I don't know of a vet that will give me another painkiller without me paying for a check up which I can't afford right now as I just got one a month ago. Should I give her the metacam or should I not give her it at all and see how she does?

koba77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Metacam almost killedy cat when doctor gave her oral dosage for simple uti. We have spent 1400 dollars just to save her. The vet never will admit this buty new vet confirmed she was in renal failure from the metacam. Do not give this to a dog or cat. Its poison!!!

koba77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It almost killed our cat!! It is not safe at all don't listen to these people its poison to cats...