Metacam question

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet prescribed it for my kitten after her spay surgery, but only for a few days. I also use it for my dogs who have arthritis and hip problems and it has helped them a lot, but they get bloodwork done every few months anyway so we can also tell if it is starting to cause any problems and they have not had any problems with it.

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a unique Vet, she only gets a little upset when I question every thing she says or does, and I do it all the time. She is very good at helping me find safe alternatives. I question and research every thing the vet wants to give my fur friends. They can't read or let thier choices be heard so I feel it is up to me research and make good choices. Her partner prescribed Metacam for my cats without telling me the side effects even after I asked, which made me upset when I researched it and found how many problems it can cause, it just is not worth it. Cats are very different than any other animal in the way they handle things, thier livers are not very efficient at clearing things out so they are more apt to have side effects at some point from the stuff we give them. One thing that is very dangerous for cats is aspirin and aspirin derivitives. I used to give Kao Pectate for diarhhea but the formula was changed and it now has aspirin in it so I give one just for pets. If you have a holistic vet in your area you might consider that, even herbs can have side effects if not used properly. For Arthritis you may want to try accupunture or chiropractic if you have a vet that does that. ASK QUESTIONS of your Vet, some think they know best and don't inform clients so DO YOUR RESEARCH.

twokatz

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah I have a great vet. She always explains all the options to me and does not try to "dumb down" the medical explanations because she knows I understand them. She does not mind the tons of questions I always ask her; actually I often take more appointment time than I have alloted because I ask a lot of questions.
My vet is also interested in holistic medicine so we often are given supplement recommendations before we try any prescription medications (depending on the condition.) I don't know if this helps for the arthritic cat issues but for my dogs who both have arthritis and other joint issues, my vet first recommended glucosamine/chondroitin supplements and fish oil. These worked for quite a while before my dogs' joints deteriorated to where that was not enough. The next thing my vet recommended was a joint supplement called Duralactin, which also helped them and I think there is a cat version of that supplement. We only went to the NSAIDs when the other supplements were no longer effective enough. Unfortunately with arthritis is generally worsens over time, and my dogs' issues are now pretty severe so we are using NSAIDs now in addition to the supplements.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
After several Vets watched Phoebe walk...they don't think that she has arthritis....they think she may have a disc problem in her spine. But we'll deal with one problem at time.
One Vet did suggest massage, acupuncture..that sort of thing....didn't realize that there was so much out there for cats.

Since she responded outwardly so well to anti-inflammatories...there is something going on. I don't have arthritis myself, so I don't know the pain or the relief felt from medication that people take for it.

Since even testing stresses Phoebe, we'll just take things easy and get her kidneys back to normal for now. She will be having her third Cartophen shot this Saturday....perhaps that's all for naught....but at least it's not expensive....the value of the drug is $1.24....the cost to inject it....$22 Wonder if they'd teach me to inject it....

saundby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They may be willing to teach you to inject it yourself. After all, diabetics and their loved ones are taught to do injections for themselves. Also, people often give thier cats subcutaneous hydration. Ask about it, they may just think you'd balk at doing it yourself.

As to Metacam, I have a cat that's a Metacam success story. Our Menelaus had arthritis so bad we were ready to put him down two years ago. He'd had a miserable winter, the treatments we'd tried hadn't worked. He had a haunted look to him and life was no fun at all for our poor boy.

Our vet was relunctant to suggest Metacam, but with the alternative being euthanasia, he did. We give 3-6 drops a day, and we have a happy active cat. Our vet worries about the Metacam and we test him regularly, plus I'm just in the habit of monitoring urination and all after having had several geriatric cats.

He's happy and playful and lovable again. After being at the point of being ready to give him up two years ago, each day with him being like this is a wonder for us.

Cats and circumstances vary, but in my mind Metacam is a miracle. I wish I'd had it to try on Phillip, he suffered from arthritis as well and aspirin was the best we could manage for him. He also had kidney problems, but cancer was what finally got him. I can't help but wonder if he would have been happier and more comfortable at the end if we'd had Metacam.

At any rate, it's worked for us. Chances are other things will come along that are better for more cats. At this point Menelaus looks to be around long enough to see the day.

Best of luck with your kitty. I'm in no position to second guess your cat's treatment, I sure hope all goes well.

maxiecat03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you Mark for your support. Phoebe is getting her fourth and final shot this Saturday..so I won't persue learning how to give shots...for now.

I agree, if she were diabetic and needed shots..I would learn.

Glad to hear that your cat did well on the Metacam. Phoebe seems to be fine...I'll find our her kidney levels after her blood work...but she certainly doesn't look sick. I now have some codeine pills in case I feel that she is in pain.

No one knows for sure if she does have arthritis...it could be a disc problem...but she gets around willingly, and purrs easily and is happy to be petted and loved. She even tolerates her pesky 'brother'....most times

You're right....'cats and circumstances vary' and given your choices..Metacam wasn't going to do any more harm than what euthanasia was going to do. It was worth the risk...and I'm so happy that your kitty is doing well. I hope he does well for a long time to come.

As for Phillip..you did the best for him that you could....and he knew that...we all second guess ourselves..and who doesn't when we love our pets so much. He is not in pain now...and his memory will live on forever in your heart.