Metacam prescribed after enema

christine159

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I often come across this site when I'm looking for answers to my cat-related questions and am hoping someone can give me some advice. 

My 12-year-old cat Jerry had a fecal blockage on Monday night and had to have an enema. Afterwards, the vet prescribed him antibiotics and Metacam for the pain.

Since then, Jerry has alternated between acting completely normal and seeming sluggish/weak (usually after he gets his antibiotic). He's been eating, drinking and urinating normally. He has pooped twice - once at the vet's almost immediately after the enema and once again on Tuesday night. He hasn't gone since then.

I'm sure most of this is normal, however, being the overly paranoid cat owner that I am, I looked up the side effects of his medications and found that Metacam has been linked to renal failure in cats. I've only given him two small doses since Monday - should I stop giving it to him? I'm so worried it might make him sick but at the same time I don't want him to be in pain/get blocked again. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Christine

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Metacam is prescribed frequently for cats. I have used it on my older cats successfully in years past. There is almost no drug on the market for people or pets that hasn't caused an adverse reaction somewhere along the line. This is true of vaccines too.

If he doesn't need it don't give it. But he appears to have tolerated it well so far. I hope he gets pooping and feeling better soon!