Metacam help!!!!

dncngqn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I recently had my cat spayed ( Tuesday 1st August ) and was prescribed Metacam 0.5mg for pain relief. However, after reading up on it today, I’m terrified that it might cause her renal failure! I’ve only given her the prescribed amount once a day ( she weighs 3kg ). After reading about the possible side effects, I have ceased giving it to her, how can I tell if there’s been any adverse side effects because of this? Thank you.

I should add that she seems to be eating fine, although she hasn’t pooped in nearly two days and urine is minimal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dncngqn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I recently had my cat spayed ( Tuesday 1st August ) and was prescribed Metacam 0.5mg for pain relief. However, after reading up on it today, I’m terrified that it might cause her renal failure! I’ve only given her the prescribed amount once a day ( she weighs 3kg ). After reading about the possible side effects, I have ceased giving it to her, how can I tell if there’s been any adverse side effects because of this? Thank you.

I should add that she seems to be eating fine, although she hasn’t pooped in nearly two days and urine is minimal
Another update, she just pooped and there was some bright blood on the outside of her stool

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes this medication is known to be associated with renal failure but that is also in cases where it is used often over a length of time.. it is often given for postoperative pain management . With this it is rare to have any I'll effect on cats such as the renal failure (this is what I have found looking it up)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If your kitty was given a pain med (usually via IV) post-surgery, you can usually skip the pain meds they send home. I refuse to give my kitties Metacam because I did have a cat who went into renal failure after taking it and it wasn't for a prolonged period of time. You are right to be concerned.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your kitty was given a pain med (usually via IV) post-surgery, you can usually skip the pain meds they send home. I refuse to give my kitties Metacam because I did have a cat who went into renal failure after taking it and it wasn't for a prolonged period of time. You are right to be concerned.
Why would vets even have this medicine as an option???!!! That is absolutely horrible! I'm so sorry your kitty went into renal failure.
Yea I know nothing about this medication like I mentioned in my post it is what I found when I looked it up..

dncngqn dncngqn How long did they want your kitty on pain meds??

I also think it has been well long enough since her spay where she should not need pain meds. I say this only from my personal experience with Gabby she only had 3 pain pills which started the day after her spay 1 pill/day..

Last edited:

dncngqn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I didn’t know of the controversy around Metacam when I gave it to her, her prescribed dose for 4 days, she will not be taking anymore, I just wanted to know what the early warning signs were should this occur?

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I didn’t know of the controversy around Metacam when I gave it to her, her prescribed dose for 4 days, she will not be taking anymore, I just wanted to know what the early warning signs were should this occur?
Right I know nothing of the medication.. just what I can look up and read I know to refuse this medication in the future if ever offered to Gabby and ask for something else. Do you know of alternative medication iptions?

dncngqn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don’t believe that she needs to take it at all now, so no other options are needed currently, but it will be refused if offered again

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t believe that she needs to take it at all now, so no other options are needed currently, but it will be refused if offered again
No she doesn't need it now I was speaking about for future purposes. I was wondering if you knew of other options if she were to need pain meds later on. Sorry for not being clear enough on that.