Met An Elderly Lady In Wal-Mart...

menasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PookieBoy

Well, I'm gonna interject a different opinion on this. A woman of her age really shouldn't be adopting a kitten. Afterall, cats can live up to 20 yrs. and that would put that woman at the ripe old age of 90. I mean, what are the chances that you or I will live that long?

I witnessed a unhappy circumstance at the animal shelter I support. An old man had sold his house and moved to an apartment that didn't allow animals (probably senior citizen housing). He surrendered his 2 seven yr. brothers to the shelter and they were there for months & months before someone adopted them and THEN they were both surrendered back to the shelter.

I'm telling you, it just about broke my heart. Not only that but those two big boys were two of the most beautiful cats I have EVER seen! They were deep burgundy red and white tabbies........absolutely stunning! I've never seen such coloring in my life. Yet, because of their age, no one wanted them

Nope, I believe older people should adopt older pets.
I understand where you're coming from, but having an animal has proven to lower a person's blood pressure and improve their overal mental AND physical health. This woman should (as all of us should) make sure that provisions will be made for her cat should something happen to her. When my sister was having an operation last year, she got so nervous something might happen during the operation that she wrote up a letter instructing me what to do with her cats (6 of them) becuase of their various ages and temperments.
I think it's just WONDERFUL that she has a friend to love. My 81-year-old mother has a HAMSTER that she dotes on...

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

And let's consider not only the cats, but the person, too -- who could possibly need the loving companionship of a cat more than an elderly person? For many of them, caring for a pet gives them a reason to go on living, a way to remain active and continue to enjoy life, despite having lost their spouses and many of their friends.

In fact, studies have proven that older people with pets are generally healthier and happier, and usually live longer, than those without. That's why shelters take animals into nursing homes, and some hospitals have "therapy animals" who visit patients.

I don't for one second begrudge an older person the loving comfort of a cat or dog in their later years. Yes, it's sad when an owner dies and the animals are suddenly alone in a strange shelter... but both for us and for the animal, the saying holds true:

'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson
I completely agree. We lost my grandpa Cloud in 2003, and my grandmother was suffering from depression. Last fall, my mom approached her saying that a coworker found an older cat (at least 1-2 years old..we felt a kitten would get too underfoot) that really needed a home and asked her if she wouldn't mind adopting him.

She hemmed and hawwed (like she does) but finally agreed. The first night he spent in her home, he came and sat in her lap anytime she sat down (and continues to do so to this day). This cat was meant to be with her, even if she claims to not like cats (puhlease lady, you coo and babytalk the kitty to death, and you don't like cats!).

She named him Boots, and her life has improved significantly since she got him.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by menasmom

I understand where you're coming from, but having an animal has proven to lower a person's blood pressure and improve their overal mental AND physical health. This woman should (as all of us should) make sure that provisions will be made for her cat should something happen to her.
exactly! when i made my will, i not only chose someone to look after any pets i have at the time of my death, i set aside money to go with them, to help pay for their care.
my sister told me, 'i hope it's not me.' it is her. but i told her she could rehome them - she is just the responsible party for seeing that they're taken care of appropriately. she's also the executor of the will.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My purr-sonal opinion on senior people adopting kittens aside.....it's wonderful that woman will have someone to keep her company, to love & to cherish.
She will not be alone in this world anymore.

mrjonah

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nice story. Helping a little old lady pick out things for her new kitten would make my day too! I can imagine how much brighter her days will be with her new little companion

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think its great, who cares about her age? she is willing to get 1 kitten out of a shelter. She sounds like a nice energetic elderly person and she will no doubt treat and spoil the kitten as if it were one of her grandchildren. Pets are great companions.

I take my hat off to her, for her kind deed, and to KuntryKitty for helping her.

Heres a saying I once heard. I don't know who its from but I think its appropriate for this thread.

"AGE IS JUST ANOTHER WAY OF KEEPING TRACK OF TIME"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
[font= "Comic Sans MS"]Thanks everybody! It is true you should not let your age deter you from doing anything! I hope I run into her again somewhere, so I can ask her how Sammy is doing... It just warms my heart to think she is no longer alone and now has somebody to fuss over, and that that kitten has a loving home where a few days before he was alone in the world too.
[/font]

thepatches

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aww I've seen this happen before with my grandmother.

When I moved away to college in 2002, I had to leave my 8 year-old Jazmine behind. My grandmother still took care of her though. Now that my grandfather is in a nursing home (he has Huntington's Disease) Jazmine has my grandmother's attention quite often and is well-cared for. Every time I call her, she has a new story about growing old with Jazz, or something silly she did tht day. Even though I could take Jaz into my own home now, I can't imagine leaving grandma without her. They are best buddies.

I'm so glad this woman has someone to love in her new kitty =^.^=