messing issues

ulao

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know there are posts on this issue but I always feel messing issues come down to human behavior and thus always unique

History: My cat is now 10 years old and has lived in 4 places with originally 2 sisters ( now moved on ). She has never had issues messing outside the box till 04 when I was helping strays. I had to quit doing that mainly due to the lack of facilities. Since this she adopted the habit if watering the carpets.  I since have went mainly all wood floors and replaced the other carpet. It helped a great deal but was not 100% fixed. I’m now in a new home and there have been a few spills in certain corners ( 2010) but all has been fixed with ( A.I.P and new carpet ).  She is now the only cat in the house. the urinating seems to be gone.

Current situation :When we have guests over, she likes to let them know she does not appreciate their presents by dropping a number two in the corner of the guest room. This has been with multiple guests and 3 times since we moved in. We thought we had this fixed by closing the door and it has stopped for 6 months. For some unknown reasons she now does a number 2 on the rug next to her box ( 4 feet away ), yet she does a number 1 in the box?. This does not always occur at the same time, it could be hours apart.  I’m glad it’s the rug! Now I can experiment without the cost of carpet repair.

Info: We have tried moving the litter box, more and less litter, liners, daily changes, and the litter we has had not changed in 5 years. We have a dog but the cat owns and feels she comes first. (i.e She gets feed first ). We have a 16 month old that is discovering the cat. They do have it out at times. We has a box up and down stairs but she only uses the upstairs box as of late. Currently we are trying two boxes upstairs. I have not taken her to the vet on this issue, not sure if there is a need.

Any advice?

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Just out of curiosity,. have you ruled out any medical issues?

I'm not an expert on this subject, but I'm sure someone with experience will come along shortly. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ulao

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, as I mentioned I have not taken her to the vet yet. Stools look normal, but its certainly a possibility.

ulao

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I I tracked down the hours she does this and now she is spending those hours in the back screened in porch with a box near by. She has used her box both days so far. Maybe she just needed some retraining. 

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats don't like to poop and pee in the same litterbox. . .have you tried giving her another box? It can be right next to the first one.

ulao

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah mentioned that in the first post "Currently we are trying two boxes upstairs". The verdict was the same. We are having good luck leaving her in the porch over night. She has used the box for 4 nights. We forgot to put her out at the right time once and messed upstairs again. So I guess we will continue this for a few weeks and let her try again ( removing the rugs )

Last edited: