Message From Vet Saying Will Refuse to Treat Cats If Rabies Not Updated!!!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I suspect, from the sounds of it, it might be due to the law making the test null and void regardless of the results.
LA county, and I think the rest of CA, does not accept titres. My dog had received immunotherapy, but I was declined on my request by LA county to skip the rabies vaccine. It is a very long process with a lot of rules; filing taxes with the IRS is easier and more fun.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LA county, and I think the rest of CA, does not accept titres. My dog had received immunotherapy, but I was declined on my request by LA county to skip the rabies vaccine. It is a very long process with a lot of rules; filing taxes with the IRS is easier and more fun.
Probably the same here, which is IMHO kinda dumb. Especially if the risk of contact is low. CA has a lot of really good animal regulations which I love, but it sounds sadly that the downside is that it make getting those exceptions near impossible. :-( Maybe the rabies one had to do with it not being a live vaccine? I remember trying to get an exception for BH with her immune issue. I was told I probably wouldn't get one for that reason.

Side note on Vaccines: She was very kind and thorough and even suggested I could skip one of the vaccines, the leukemia one, which would really make me happy to have one less vaccine in them and one less injection.

I hesitated though as I don't know enough for my comfort level on it. The two other girls are former ferals, while they all (Mia included) tested negative on snap tests for everything before being allowed into the whole household, I learned after that that the snaps tests are not 100%. Had I know at the time I would have done a full blood test on them for it.Later on I found out not only that but once I immunize them for it - you can't do a blood test for it as they have the antibody now in their system. If the snap test was wrong - I run the risk of Charlie getting it.

I asked, what I think, is the the most important question: If the snap test was wrong, what's the risk to him - and the risk is there unfortunately.

Soooooo.... catch 22. I opted to leave it for now as I'm not sure what's best in this case. The risk I would think is low but....

Last edited:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Probably the same here, which is IMHO kinda dumb. Especially if the risk of contact is low. CA has a lot of really good animal regulations which I love, but it sounds sadly that the downside is that it make getting those exceptions near impossible. :-( Maybe the rabies one had to do with it not being a live vaccine? I remember trying to get an exception for BH with her immune issue. I was told I probably wouldn't get one for that reason.

Side note on Vaccines: She was very kind and thorough and even suggested I could skip one of the vaccines, the leukemia one, which would really make me happy to have one less vaccine in them and one less injection.

I hesitated though as I don't know enough for my comfort level on it. The two other girls are former ferals, while they all (Mia included) tested negative on snap tests for everything before being allowed into the whole household, I learned after that that the snaps tests are not 100%. Had I know at the time I would have done a full blood test on them for it.Later on I found out not only that but once I immunize them for it - you can't do a blood test for it as they have the antibody now in their system. If the snap test was wrong - I run the risk of Charlie getting it.

I asked, what I think, is the the most important question: If the snap test was wrong, what's the risk to him - and the risk is there unfortunately.

Soooooo.... catch 22. I opted to leave it for now as I'm not sure what's best in this case. The risk I would think is low but....
Spacing them out is much preferable (to me personally) than doing it all in one day.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The lukemia one is nice for them to have in case they have any accidental.contact with other cats. It's my preference and I don't think it needs redone after the initial two.