Message From Vet Saying Will Refuse to Treat Cats If Rabies Not Updated!!!

piano cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has anyone else got a message like this? This is the same Vet that made appointments without consulting me, for days I could not come. They treated all of these cats at the beginning, when they first showed up in my yard, and were not vaccinated. They have all been vaccinated but are overdue. Only one goes outside and inside, and yes, I know that one could possibly bring rabies into the house. I guess I will look for a clinic somewhere, there are six cats. The Vet also wants "routine examinations" done and the whole thing is sounding like $$$$$$.

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can get rabies vaccinations for free in most towns. Check and see when the rabies clinic in your town is held.
I myself have never gotten a message like this, but it might just be the policy of this vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

piano cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm in Ontario, Canada. Only one municipality is showing a clinic and it's not till April. And it's a long way from me. And none of them offered last year were free. Where are you? If you have free clinics, boy, you are lucky.

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm in Ontario, Canada. Only one municipality is showing a clinic and it's not till April. And it's a long way from me. And none of them offered last year were free. Where are you? If you have free clinics, boy, you are lucky.
Oh I’m sorry. I’m in the northeastern USA. My town offers a free clinic every year, as does my moms town. I wonder if your vet would be willing to give you a discount on your additional kitties? Or a group rate? It never hurts to ask.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Im in the same provence as you. Its a bit puzzling for me that the vet didn't just vaccinate the cat at the last checkup (i assume you have history with this vet) I mean unless you missed an appointment its legaly required to have rabies vaccienes.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This could be the policy of the vet and if you are in an area where there is much danger of rabies, even if not extreme, he can probably stand by his policy, especially if it is the law. As for the routine exam, while I can't imagine that he could make it mandatory, in the US a vet has to have seen a pet within the last year in order to prescribe medication, including prescription flea treatment like Revolution. I even had trouble with my own cat vet because the last vet in the practice to have treated one of the cats (within the year) had quit and they did not want to prescribe for me. They did, in the end, but even that was a technicality.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rabies is required by law here, but because all of my cats have some kind of chronic illness, so the vet recommends no vaccines.

piano cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Im in the same provence as you. Its a bit puzzling for me that the vet didn't just vaccinate the cat at the last checkup (i assume you have history with this vet) I mean unless you missed an appointment its legaly required to have rabies vaccienes.
At the last checkup the Rabies wasn't due yet. Three year Rabies shots.

piano cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Vet wants $202 plus tax per cat. I specifically asked for cost of just the Rabies and looks like they are insisting on an exam as well. I am not sure of the requirement for an exam if medication needed to be prescribed as two of these cats were first seen by this Vet when they were injured or sick and since every cat I have just showed up here there was not a previous exam. IN fact, I had to insist on a Rabies shot for the feral Tom who was neutered and live released - the incredibly dumb reason I was given for not vaccinating for Rabies at the time of the neuter was "but we won't be able to keep it up to date if he's wild." So I am having trouble trusting this Vet. No clinics nearby as I said earlier but was busy this afternoon and did not have time to contact other Vets nearby. And yes, my previous dog had Lymphangiectasia and I carried written exemptions for his Rabies.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in the same province as well. It's a legal thing here which I think is ridiculous IMHO. More so these days then ever before. With darn good reason.

I almost understand indoor outdoor cats but that being said....

Would the vet consider a titer test? I'm considering that discussion with my vet. Unsure of the costs though as well.

I wonder if something happened at the vet clinic with an unvaccinated cat that caused them to have to send that out. IE: It's a legal requirement here and if one of the clinics staff was bitten by an unvaccinated animal that would cause Health and Safety to get involved, Health Canada - and a bunch of other places. That would be a real problem for the clinic and they would have been possibly mandated to send that out.

Do you have any low cost spay neuter clinics around you area? They might be able to provide low cost rabies.

Last edited:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
piano cat piano cat I would search far and wide for a low cost clinic.
Check with pet stores and feed stores. In our area (Ohio, USA) vets come to those places once or twice a month to do low cost vaccines and flea/tick prevention and do it at a very low cost.
If there are any cat rescues or TNR groups, even in your general area (non-driving distance) reach out to them via online and ask them who they use for things like vaccines, etc. They might have connections that slide under the radar and would more than likely be sympathetic to your situation and give you some recommendations.
I can't wrap my head around them not vaccinating him when he was neutered/released because they won't be able to keep it updated.... :confused2:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Here at least, tnr isn't really a thing. But rural/semi rural communities are probably different from municipalities in what is available.

Where I am cats are turned over to animal control who will either rehome them or euthanize them if they are unadoptable.

More reciently they have started offering the less social ones up as barn buddies. These are working cats though not pets.

Again larger municipalities are different so may offer the tnr stuff there. That said I have seen the odd pop up rabies clinic in my area but only once.

You may want to keep your eye out for a pop up.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I wonder if something happened at the vet clinic with an unvaccinated cat that caused them to have to send that out.
Me, too.

This is not going to help you, but it has become a "policy" here with the clinics who have joined VCA or AmeriVets corporations that they will do nothing without an exam which is conducted on a separate day with the follow up appointment for the condition or service you really need scheduled later.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
piano cat piano cat If you're in a small town, unfortunately many of them have pretty predatory practices in Ontario since we have such a Canada wide veterinarian shortage.

I had major issues with the small town clinic I had to use before I moved to a city. My grandma still lives in that area and travels to a bigger city about a 30 min drive to one of their vets instead. (Or at least when she last had a vet).

If you're in a very rural area where you are getting cats dumped on or near your property and ending up with many cats that way (we lived in Loretto off highway 50 for awhile and had dumped cats all the time), I'd recommend reaching out to rescues even up to an hour away to see if someone can help with rehoming outdoor cats, updating, and new "dumps" etc.

Unfortunately, Ontario is nothing like how our US companions here on this site have it. Most of our SPCAs even still have surrendering fees ($100-$200). Many cats are dumped and responsible finders have a heck of a time getting support. We don't have hopes for free vaccine clinics for cats yet.

The cost quoted for yearly and vaccine is very high. I pay $160 here for yearly physical, rabies and cat flu shot per cat.

You can use this to find a vet in Ontario: College of Veterinarians of Ontario - College of Veterinarians of Ontario

Unfortunately, very few places in Ontario have rabies shot clinics but maybe one place near you does: Rabies Vaccine Clinics — Ontario Association of Veterinary Technicians

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
piano cat piano cat
If there are any cat rescues or TNR groups, even in your general area (non-driving distance) reach out to them via online and ask them who they use for things like vaccines, etc. They might have connections that slide under the radar and would more than likely be sympathetic to your situation and give you some recommendations.
That is a great idea!

piano cat piano cat
I can't wrap my head around them not vaccinating him when he was neutered/released because they won't be able to keep it updated.... :confused2:
Me either. All my ferals had shots when they were TNR'd.

This is not going to help you, but it has become a "policy" here with the clinics who have joined VCA or AmeriVets corporations that they will do nothing without an exam which is conducted on a separate day with the follow up appointment for the condition or service you really need scheduled later.
We have the same kind of policy here - but on the same day - same appointment. I can understand that as you are paying for a vets time.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around yours though. That is a level of stupid I can't fathom. To stress out an animal and owner twice? Not to mention the wait for an animal in need. Just wow. Your veterinary association should kick up it's heels and lay down the law on those corporations.

piano cat piano cat If you're in a small town, unfortunately many of them have pretty predatory practices in Ontario since we have such a Canada wide veterinarian shortage.
Yup - they are saying for every 10 vets that retire only one is graduating. I saw the impact of that first hand this past summer when Mia was sick.

With that they are having to offer the Doctors more money to join a practise - that is also driving up costs along with the enonomy - I expect that will continue.

piano cat piano cat
The cost quoted for yearly and vaccine is very high. I pay $160 here for yearly physical, rabies and cat flu shot per cat.
I think I'm at around 500+ per cat. I'd have to double check - but I also get blood and urine done annually as well. Not cheap here at all.

You can call them too - they are very helpful.

piano cat piano cat depending on where you are there might be some other options.

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have a hard time wrapping my head around yours though
The corporations have figured out a way to get two vet visits out of what should be one. That is why I wondered if piano cat piano cat was getting the same run around.So far, I have stood my ground and gone to the practice owner who agreed that I did not need two appointments after my long years of fidelity to the business.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The corporations have figured out a way to get two vet visits out of what should be one. That is why I wondered if piano cat piano cat was getting the same run around.So far, I have stood my ground and gone to the practice owner who agreed that I did not need two appointments after my long years of fidelity to the business.
Very unfortunate. Here the VCA ones are some of the most inexpensive.

alexcary26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's crucial to prioritize the health and safety of pets by ensuring they're up-to-date on their rabies vaccinations. Veterinarians have a responsibility to uphold public health standards. This message serves as a reminder for pet owners to maintain their cats' vaccinations, contributing to both animal welfare and public health.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@ alexcary26 alexcary26 While I would agree with that in some cases ( and appreciate what you have said) - and absolute respect keeping the public and vets safe in their workplace.. I think we paint the same brush for everything - and that needs a serious rethink.

Let me give you the flip side of it:

There is strong evidence showing that after the first set of shots, the booster and full year cats often have enough of the antibody still in their system for protection for many, many years to follow. Think on this too: As for those "congratulations your cat qualifies for a three year rabies shot" that the vets sometimes say. It's not a different 3 year dose of the vaccine. It's the same as the one year... which is very telling.

As a responsible pet caretaker I would like the option of a teeter test done along with their annual bloodwork because quite frankly I don't feel like mourning another cat because of, or in part because of, injection site sarcoma (and two secondary ones from what we have sorted out - one of which that was caused from seeding after the lump site was tested. This is the best info based on the info we have as it's a bit more complicated then that.) So - pretty much been there - done that. Was beyond devastating - and actually I'm still devastated over it all. As much as I understand "it's rare" - trust me - it really isn't comforting at all to knowing that it's rare. Especially knowing that perhaps the vaccine wasn't even necessary.

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A little update on titer options for rabies: I just got back from one of the furkids annual check ups. I did ask about a titer test for rabies and there really isn't one available that would be good enough. I suspect, from the sounds of it, it might be due to the law making the test null and void regardless of the results.

This really needs to change especially for indoor cats with minimal chance, yes there is always a chance of an escape outside I understand that but risk vs risk one of far less than the other IMHO

Bless her soul, she did give me the option of dropping one of the other vaccination but I need to do some homework first.