Mesha getting spayed tomorrow

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My little 6 month old kitten is getting spayed Monday. I'm worried and I just want it to be over. She's my baby (have no children) and I'll be in agony until she is back to normal. Any advice for when I bring her home?

machell hager

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi kitty mom,

After surgery she will need a quiet place away from high traffic for a little while. She will be groggy and not acting "right"  don't fret too bad it does pass. She should NOT be allowed to jump or run around and play for 48 hours. Allow her to decide when it is best for high activity, she may not want to eat or drink right away either, this is also normal....all cats react differently.  
Rest easy it is pretty regular surgery, and I am very glad you are having her spayed.  The Vet will give you after care instructions also to help you.

Best wishes, The Cat Lady and Kitty Crew <6cats>

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I got Minnie spayed she bounced out of the carrier, did a few rounds of the wall of death with Max, stuffed herself, played a bit more and slept.

However in the UK the normal spay (which she had) is via the left flank, and nothing is cut apart from the skin and of course whatever is necessary to remove the uterus & ovaries.  The incision is usually tiny (Minnie's was about 1cm - the width of my thumb) and the stiches are often subcutaneous dissolving ones.

You can try all the 'keep quiet, light diet' stuff the vet tells you but don't be surprised if your kitten wasn't listening!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vast majority of cats come home, sleep it off and a few hours later are demanding food and attention. But of course, when it is your baby, you are worried. The vet will give you after-care advice - be sure to ask what to do in case he assumes you know. I am sure it will all go fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll be glad when I can pick her up Tuesday. Are vets wants her to stay overnight......which might be god. They can watch her while she wakes up and she won't be jumping around etc. she is very active!

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They would never let her home unless she's completely over the anasthetic.  I wonder if they have scheduled her for late in the afternoon?  I'm sure she will be fine, let us know tomorrow.  Cats really know how much to do after operations, it's very rare for them to hurt themselves jumping around.  Picking stiches is another matter - hope she has the subcutaneous ones which are what the two vets in the UK I have experience of use.

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They said she would be done by noon. However, they require them to stay overnight which I guess it is good. Goo for the kitty, bad for me.....I miss her already.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh have never had to leave a kitten overnight after a before noon neuter - would normally be collecting them at 4-5pm, maybe a little later.  They are usually fine, just tired when they get home, sometimes not even tired.  The boys are trying to work out what's different!

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lol some vets in out area require it, others don't. I guess it is a safety precaution. I'll pick her up tomorrow.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck to Mesha!

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: :heart3:

My vet keeps spays overnight.

Keep us posted.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just checking in for an update.....

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Oksana hit the ground running (albeit wobbly running). She ran from the carrier to my bedroom and hid under the bed until her anesthesia wore off totally. I set het food and water under the bed. I tried my best to make her take it slow the next few days, and she'd have none of it.

My Leo is being Neutered today and I am going to keep him locked in his safe room until it's safe. He will be too tempted to chase his sister (and vice versa), otherwise.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OBSESSIVELY checking for an update......:)

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I was at a conference yesterday.

Mesha was fine yesterday and my husband is going to pick her up now.

They did not not not declaw her. They probably think I'm nuts for leaving tons of notes but oh we'll. Lol

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay, she's coming home! :banana1:

This is the way I look at it. Because of all your notes, you have established that you are a hands on concerned pet owner. You care what happens to Mesha, and expect to be involved in everything that happens to her at the vet. It's a good precedent to set.

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! The vet said she is not a happy camper. Lol as soon as she saw my husband she stuck her paw out the carrier cage. my husbands heart melted.

The only concern is they said she was dehydrated. I leave water out. I feed her wet food and I even put a little water in her wet food to make it wetter. The only time I give her dry food is some on her wet food to entice her to eat. Any suggestions?

I should post on health but thought I'd ask you Otto.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the vet show your hubby how to check if she is dehydrated?  By lifting her scruff and seeing how it goes back?  It will probably sort itself out over the next day or so, I would not bother with the dry food until it has.  Adding some more water sounds like a good idea so long as it doesn't put her off eating!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would think dehydration would be normal for a cat who was fasted for at least 12 hours, then put under general anesthesia and gone through major invasive surgery. I always insist on a catheter drip when my cats have anesthesia, no matter what the surgery is, and for some vets (like the one I use now) the catheter drip is standard procedure, though it does raise the cost.

I'm sure she will be fine on her canned food diet. If she likes a little water added, even better. It will take her body a day or two to recover from all that she's been through, but as long as she is eating her wet diet, I wouldn't worry about dehydration.