Merlin's Journey

merlinsmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well not just Merlin, as Miku and Mimi will also be starting their new regime today.

Merlin has an intolerance to biscuits, but I just think they would all be better on a raw diet. It just makes sense, all my cats already want raw meat when I get it out to cook for us, especially liver.

The dry food has gone, gave wet pouches this morning, which are only 4% meat 
 and now we are off shopping. We are really lucky here as the Spanish tend to have all sorts of things from brains to chickens feet but will ease them in with some raw chicken tonight on the side of the wet stuff and work towards other meat, heart and offal eventually.

My main worries are the amounts to give. Feeding 3 times a day as the kittens are almost 4 months and the adult cat isn't interested, only at night which is fine but how much for her one meal ? How much per ration for the kittens ?

I have done lots of research and would like to freeze all the portions to kill germs plus it's 35c plus here so won't take long to defrost and serve. Anything not eaten straight away will be thrown away.

Love the forum by the way 

Last edited:

pawpurrints

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww I love Spain :) I studied there for 5 months when I was in college.  Stayed in Granada, traveled all over.

Lots of foreign countries have a plethora of animal parts that aren't easy to come by here.  I'm lucky enough to live in an area where it's culturally diverse, so global markets are all over the place.

I've got 3 almost-6-week-old kittens who weigh almost 2lbs (.9kg), and I started them on raw chicken last week...they were doing fine until I increased the food intake to 1.5oz (42g) per meal.  Turns out it wasn't a good idea.  Two of the kittens ended up throwing it up within an hour, and after some sleuthing with members here, we're guessing it was probably too much for them, even though they ate all 1.5oz (42g).  One said their adult cat eats around 1 (28g)to 1.5oz per meal.  So maybe shoot low, then increase?  But I'm sure the forum experts will chime in.  I'm still new to raw and learning along the way. :)

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Adult cats usually eat about 2-4% of their body weight. Kittens however can go as high as 8-10%, so there is a big range to work with. It is very individual so you will have to experiment some. Maybe start with 2oz servings and adjust up or down as necessary?

What are you using as the calcium source? Calcium is very important for growing kittens, so if they don't won't eat bones right away, you need an alternate calcium source like eggshells.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

merlinsmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Gave them some chicken on the bone, which they had a chew at but weren't too keen.

Today will mix some chicken liver in with their wet food.