Merlin's death from pneumonia or something else

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My thread on Merlin and pneumonia in the cat health forum is here. I will continue updates here on what is going on. I am doing a necropsy on him at Cornell and will be making complaints most likely against both hospitals and at least one dvm after that. I will also update on any health aspects of what happened to him. And discuss the terrible trauma I am going through losing him in these circumstances. Please see the thread linked here for more information if you are interested. I am very sorry for all of your losses. It is so very painful to lose our fur babies no matter the circumstances.

After staying up all night writing a report of my own to include with paper work for the necropsy etc., getting him ready and getting the cooler full of fresh ice packs etc. at the door for pick up by ups overnight air, (which took 6 hours to arrange by phone calling Fed Ex and UPS who have the absolute worst customer service on the planet/) I arranged a pick up but the time scheduled was not good so I had to call and make it for 12-3 pm. When I scheduled it I assumed they would come in the am, not between 9-7pm. If you are ever trying to call them, it is nearly impossible to get a person and when you do most of them have no clue what they are doing! lol. But to try to get to a person just swear and speak gibberish to the computer and it may transfer you to a person, also keep pressing 0 and say complaint if they ask you what your reason it, that worked once. Finally at 3 pm they came and picked him up when they dropped of another package. Cornell said they would email me when he arrives there.

I hope I get some answers as to what really caused his death and if he even did have pneumonia. And on the effects of telazol a sedation he was given, which should never had happened, on whatever was going on with him. I felt so heart broken and sad to see that cooler there and remember how he first showed up there. I saw his beautiful face out the window, I think it was before we had the path and door redone when he first showed up. I have some wonderful photos of him there and on the new path when he started to tame up.

I want to warn everyone, never to allow dvm to sedate your tame cat who is ill for any reason unless it is a true emergency and they need surgery or something like that. And never with telazol which is dangerous in cats with any heart/pulmonary and kidney issues. One of our members here says it is never safe in cats since they cannot treat them if they go into respiratory failure from it by placing an airway. I read of two cats who had bad immediate reactions who needed naloxone and another anti diazepam type drug to come out of it.

The pain I am going through in Merlin's death is 50 mil x worse than if there were no circumstances like this of negligence and also abuse of me on part of dvm and the suddenness of it all, compounded by the nastiness of some people I interacted with at the hospital after he died. I think one of the things I hate most about all of this is having to deal with these awful people. I have gone through it before, but this time feels so much worse for many reasons. It's like a final ‘get lost’ from the people who should care about our furry loves but who are more interested in making as much money as they can and then blaming you, and from the world in general.

I think one of the things I always think of with my cats who came from outside or who were older when I adopted them is I wish I could have seen them as kittens and also that I could know their full story. I still think of Marlon, Merlin's twin brother who I did not realize was there at first and who vanished before I even got a chance to tnr him. I hope someone else gave him a chance and took him in. Otherwise maybe they are together again now. I wonder who dumped these two beautiful, sweet, ginger cats to fend for themselves 😥

I will write more later and ad some pics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Merlin, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

I am so very, very sorry for your loss, and especially the manner of it. I will light a candle for the best resolution possible.
00LitCandle.jpeg

This is the deepest Truth I know, that love never dies. It is translated and purified into love and continues on. Now, from his home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, Merlin blesses you, and knows of your fight to find justice for him. He now sends his Love back to walk with you down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Merlin, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

I am so very, very sorry for your loss, and especially the manner of it. I will light a candle for the best resolution possible.
View attachment 473719

This is the deepest Truth I know, that love never dies. It is translated and purified into love and continues on. Now, from his home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, Merlin blesses you, and knows of your fight to find justice for him. He now sends his Love back to walk with you down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.
Thanks so much, I hope Merlin forgives me for everything he went through. I miss him so much just feels like an silent, empty house without him even though I have three other cats. And they all miss him too especially Quinn and Zena. I’m just trying to hold it together for them because they need me, but they know I’m a mess, I’d give anything to reverse that day and not have taken him there. Maybe have taken him to another one who was a little bit further away. But I was worried it would take longer to get an appointment there, which it usually does.

in the future, I will not be taking my cats anywhere unless they let me be in there helping them to do treatments. So if the cat gets resistant to doing some like an x-ray, I can help and they will be calmer with me there. my previous DVM where I went when my cats were sick and it was not just an average check up retired in 2018. And I was always present with them with a lot of the things that they did when they were ill.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your pain. Sometimes, no matter what we do, it is not enough.....
To have guilt and anger is a very real emotion with losing someone you love, I think it is a way of redirecting our pain when we are on overload and cannot handle what we are going through. When we are in the middle of a heartbreaking crisis, decisions are not what we would do if our thinking was clear and not clouded with pain and fear. That comes later. We always search for something, anything, to redirect our emotions. I pray your determination and research help to save more little lives in the future, and that something good comes through this awful time in your life.
It will take you a long time to sort through all this, it takes a long time to mend a broken heart and there is always a scar.
Remember, love is spiritual, so eternal. That precious boy's love will forever be a part of you, he will never leave you. He lives on through you now, make sure you send him thoughts and prayers of love and thankfulness for having him share your life's journey. You were his world and you gave him everything he wanted so badly in this life, a home with love and care. I hope, in time. you can take comfort in this.
I know you are hurting right now, and will be for a long time, time is the only thing that brings peace and comfort. Know I am keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers, may his love come to enter your heart when you need it the most. Take care of yourself, my friend, and try to comfort those little ones left in your care, they are mourning too. Your boy is at peace because he has someone to care,to continue loving him, he holds that in his heart for eternity........RIP dear Merlin, you will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My sincere and heartfelt sympathies go out to you on the passing of your sweet boy, Merlin. :hugs: It's always difficult but under the circumstances you went through at your vet it's unthinkable. I'm so sorry for both of you. RIP dear angel.:angel:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sincere and heartfelt sympathies go out to you on the passing of your sweet boy, Merlin. :hugs: It's always difficult but under the circumstances you went through at your vet it's unthinkable. I'm so sorry for both of you. RIP dear angel.:angel:
thanks Neely, I am devastated. I'm having a really hard time. I feel panicky etc. and ptsd symptoms on and off. I have to be strong for my other boys now. It's not easy. Merlin was the sunshine sweetness that always made me feel better. I know his brother's miss him and I just keep telling them it is my fault he's gone etc. and I'm sorry. 😥
The lady from Cornell called to say they received him. I have to email her and tell them to please check to see if he aspirated at all and what type of pneumonia it was if at all. Plus I want them to see how healthy he was just two weeks before too, so I will send my video.

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with you, Meowmee, about being in the same room during the exam. I still hate myself for letting the vet take my cat in the backroom for a bloodtest. Also putting them under anesthesia when they‘re not well. My cat’s previous vet (before we moved to Florida) always did the exam and bloodtest with me in the same room.

I’m really sorry for the loss of your beloved Merlin. It’s heartbreaking to read your story. My deepest condolences to you. :hugs:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Marshmallow 🤗 I don’t know when that became a thing because in the past, they always did everything with me there. I would think that would just cause more stress for your cat or dog even if they’re not a cat that tends to get stressed it’s much better to have their owner there with them.

I’m still pretty much in the shock. I don’t think I’m ever gonna get over this really I mean, you never do, and I’ve been through stuff like this before but this is just the worst- I just can’t believe he’s gone it doesn’t seem real. 😿 my other kitties are very upset too. I can tell. they don’t understand what happened to poor Merlin.

So sorry about what happened to your kitty too, that’s awful. I guess I will find out from the necropsy why he died and if there were underlying causes. I’m thinking that Telazol had to have played a role here in no matter what else was going on. Because it can cause pulmonary edema. I just don’t know if they will be able to determine how much of a role it played or if they will say.

I can never take back that I took him to that place and they did that. Nobody should be sedating a cat to do an x-ray, unless the cat is a feral cat or something and there’s no other option… it’s just pure laziness & negligence.
I have a lot more I want to say about it, but I will have to do that later I’m so exhausted I’ll write more when I’m more rested.

You have to always be on guard about what you let them do. Not only did I lose Merlin, but I was abused by those people too. I just wish I could turn back the clock and not have taken him there, etc.

I remember now that Merlin had x-rays before he had an x-ray when I took him to the hospital when his stomach got all bloated and hard, he had an x-ray when he possibly swallowed string. And none of them had to be done sedated. So there was no reason for it other than their incompetence.

I can’t get it out of my head now I remember hearing that Dvm telling the tech or whoever was there to just get the release signed to do sedation. And his voice was so cold. I don’t know why I didn’t question any of that I must’ve been crazy.
I’m remembering now that I had a bad feeling about him because I was telling him that Merlin was licking the floor in the garage and I thought he might be lacking some minerals.

He just kind of looked at me like I was an idiot and he said oh maybe there was water on the floor sarcastically.
You have to realize that you can’t really automatically trust any of these people, especially if you don’t know them, and also realize that they don’t always have the best
interest of your fur baby in mind.

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First and foremost I want to tell you how sorry I am for your loss. I went back and read your other thread and this one and I was heartbroken for you.

I have a lot more I want to say about it, but I will have to do that later I’m so exhausted I’ll write more when I’m more rested.
That's good. It's important for you to be able to get this out. It will help with your healing, among other things.

I just wish I could turn back the clock and not have taken him there, etc.
I understand this kind of statement much more than I wish I did. You couldn't have known how things would have turned out and you did the best you could. XO

I can’t get it out of my head now I remember hearing that Dvm telling the tech or whoever was there to just get the release signed to do sedation. And his voice was so cold. I don’t know why I didn’t question any of that I must’ve been crazy.
*hugs* you're not crazy. I can tell you from experience that I'm really good in emergencies... but... when Mia was sick (one of my babies) there was so much going on - and so much confusion. I was trying so hard to sort things out with most of the help coming from here - not the doctors that it should have been coming from BTW.... and at one point I remember screaming things in my head and being literally unable to get the words out that I wanted too. I froze and I don't normally freeze. What I learned from this is that if anything similar were to transpire that I am going to bring someone with me who knows what I want to ask or do so if I break again - they can speak for me - or keep me grounded in the chaos. Since I had never frozen before in bad situations - I was expecting to this time so I didn't think to bring someone in with me.

I don't think what I wanted to say would have saved Mia but it might have helped me comes to better terms with things and perhaps given her a bit more time. Maybe even made her passing far better than what it was.

So no - you're not crazy. You were trusting the process and perhaps dealing with shock too or overwhelmed. Not on you.

I’m remembering now that I had a bad feeling about him because I was telling him that Merlin was licking the floor in the garage and I thought he might be lacking some minerals.

He just kind of looked at me like I was an idiot and he said oh maybe there was water on the floor sarcastically.
You have to realize that you can’t really automatically trust any of these people, especially if you don’t know them, and also realize that they don’t always have the best
interest of your fur baby in mind.
I think sometimes they go through the motions without thinking outside the box. They are human.

It's something that happens with most people... it's often called "white coat syndrome" meaning that we have it ingrained it us to auto trust the lab coats. Often holding them much higher than we should and not questioning when we should. We forget they are fallible humans and sometimes trust them too easily because they are "the white lab coats" and to be honest - we should be able to trust them - but like all humans there are okay ones, simply decent ones, good ones, great ones - and excellent ones. It can be really had to discern the differences quickly, if not impossible to do so. Especially when in the throws of something urgent. That's not your fault.

I know it's easy to say now "Don't beat yourself up" but I get how the mind plays back every minute, every word, every action. Been there - done that and I sometimes still do it.

You gave them the information, did what you could and should have - and they failed you and Merlin on every level possible.

Biggest of hugs to you.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First and foremost I want to tell you how sorry I am for your loss. I went back and read your other thread and this one and I was heartbroken for you.

That's good. It's important for you to be able to get this out. It will help with your healing, among other things.

I understand this kind of statement much more than I wish I did. You couldn't have known how things would have turned out and you did the best you could. XO

*hugs* you're not crazy. I can tell you from experience that I'm really good in emergencies... but... when Mia was sick (one of my babies) there was so much going on - and so much confusion. I was trying so hard to sort things out with most of the help coming from here - not the doctors that it should have been coming from BTW.... and at one point I remember screaming things in my head and being literally unable to get the words out that I wanted too. I froze and I don't normally freeze. What I learned from this is that if anything similar were to transpire that I am going to bring someone with me who knows what I want to ask or do so if I break again - they can speak for me - or keep me grounded in the chaos. Since I had never frozen before in bad situations - I was expecting to this time so I didn't think to bring someone in with me.

I don't think what I wanted to say would have saved Mia but it might have helped me comes to better terms with things and perhaps given her a bit more time. Maybe even made her passing far better than what it was.

So no - you're not crazy. You were trusting the process and perhaps dealing with shock too or overwhelmed. Not on you.

I think sometimes they go through the motions without thinking outside the box. They are human.

It's something that happens with most people... it's often called "white coat syndrome" meaning that we have it ingrained it us to auto trust the lab coats. Often holding them much higher than we should and not questioning when we should. We forget they are fallible humans and sometimes trust them too easily because they are "the white lab coats" and to be honest - we should be able to trust them - but like all humans there are okay ones, simply decent ones, good ones, great ones - and excellent ones. It can be really had to discern the differences quickly, if not impossible to do so. Especially when in the throws of something urgent. That's not your fault.

I know it's easy to say now "Don't beat yourself up" but I get how the mind plays back every minute, every word, every action. Been there - done that and I sometimes still do it.

You gave them the information, did what you could and should have - and they failed you and Merlin on every level possible.

Biggest of hugs to you.
Thanks 💕

I am sorry for what happened to Mia also. I read part of your story and I can’t imagine how you got through that 💔

I’m completely heartbroken, no way to get myself out of it.

taking someone else with you is a great idea, it would also deter a sociopath from doing this type of thing. I am going to do that in the future.
I have a lot of experience with negligence like this so there is no excuse for me allowing all of that. I am self trained not to trust right off the bat, and to question everything. I have been under huge stresses lately and that is the only reason I can come up with why I did that and I was being manipulated by a lazy, incompetent sociopath.
I think you are being way too kind about what med professionals are like. I’m guessing I have had more experience than you have in the human and animal area. Some are really great, like my uncle, but many are not and unfortunately more than a few are sadists and sociopaths and have god complexes.

The whole system is set up in their favor, so that if they make serious errors, such as this, they pretty much get off scot free for the most part. Although reading some of those sanctions that were given to veterinary professionals in my state, I saw that there were a very few people who lost their licenses., and in one case where a dvm euthanized a dog without authorization or permission for no reason, it seemed like that wasn’t enough.

The first dvm is really crazy and not stable. His behavior when I brought Merlin back was not only abusive but also insane/ crazy. That pretty much says it all. I’m not sure how I’m gonna go about doing this, but I have to find a way to warn other people to stay very far away from him, and never to take their animals to him.

I’m traumatized, almost as much by that as by what happened to Merlin and that I allowed all of this. And that Merlin‘s gone, etc.

This is going to be a trauma for a very long time and it will never completely heal. And there’s a lot of other stuff I have to deal with with my own health.

I also wanna make a comparison between this dvm, who is horrific and the Dvm I took Fred to when he was badly misdiagnosed by the hospital where Merlin ended up dying. The Dvm for Fred was a human being and he was compassionate. He was almost crying himself when I told him I just wanna let Fred go, and then he went and examined him and showed me his tumor. He had to sedate him and he said you’re making the right decision. That is a good person and even if he may have made mistakes at times he is competent and thoughtful. This other guy is a total psychopath of some sort. His only concern is for himself.

Last edited:

Mptom72

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My thread on Merlin and pneumonia in the cat health forum is here. I will continue updates here on what is going on. I am doing a necropsy on him at Cornell and will be making complaints most likely against both hospitals and at least one dvm after that. I will also update on any health aspects of what happened to him. And discuss the terrible trauma I am going through losing him in these circumstances. Please see the thread linked here for more information if you are interested. I am very sorry for all of your losses. It is so very painful to lose our fur babies no matter the circumstances.

After staying up all night writing a report of my own to include with paper work for the necropsy etc., getting him ready and getting the cooler full of fresh ice packs etc. at the door for pick up by ups overnight air, (which took 6 hours to arrange by phone calling Fed Ex and UPS who have the absolute worst customer service on the planet/) I arranged a pick up but the time scheduled was not good so I had to call and make it for 12-3 pm. When I scheduled it I assumed they would come in the am, not between 9-7pm. If you are ever trying to call them, it is nearly impossible to get a person and when you do most of them have no clue what they are doing! lol. But to try to get to a person just swear and speak gibberish to the computer and it may transfer you to a person, also keep pressing 0 and say complaint if they ask you what your reason it, that worked once. Finally at 3 pm they came and picked him up when they dropped of another package. Cornell said they would email me when he arrives there.

I hope I get some answers as to what really caused his death and if he even did have pneumonia. And on the effects of telazol a sedation he was given, which should never had happened, on whatever was going on with him. I felt so heart broken and sad to see that cooler there and remember how he first showed up there. I saw his beautiful face out the window, I think it was before we had the path and door redone when he first showed up. I have some wonderful photos of him there and on the new path when he started to tame up.

I want to warn everyone, never to allow dvm to sedate your tame cat who is ill for any reason unless it is a true emergency and they need surgery or something like that. And never with telazol which is dangerous in cats with any heart/pulmonary and kidney issues. One of our members here says it is never safe in cats since they cannot treat them if they go into respiratory failure from it by placing an airway. I read of two cats who had bad immediate reactions who needed naloxone and another anti diazepam type drug to come out of it.

The pain I am going through in Merlin's death is 50 mil x worse than if there were no circumstances like this of negligence and also abuse of me on part of dvm and the suddenness of it all, compounded by the nastiness of some people I interacted with at the hospital after he died. I think one of the things I hate most about all of this is having to deal with these awful people. I have gone through it before, but this time feels so much worse for many reasons. It's like a final ‘get lost’ from the people who should care about our furry loves but who are more interested in making as much money as they can and then blaming you, and from the world in general.

I think one of the things I always think of with my cats who came from outside or who were older when I adopted them is I wish I could have seen them as kittens and also that I could know their full story. I still think of Marlon, Merlin's twin brother who I did not realize was there at first and who vanished before I even got a chance to tnr him. I hope someone else gave him a chance and took him in. Otherwise maybe they are together again now. I wonder who dumped these two beautiful, sweet, ginger cats to fend for themselves 😥

I will write more later and ad some pics.
Friend: So so sorry for your loss!! We just lost our precious Cleo yesterday to chylothorax. We can’t even enter our homes because it hurts so bad. She was first tapped off fthoracic cavity fluids 3 weeks back when we took her with slight labored breathing (after running). She went blue under anesthesia but they got her back. Came home and within one week breathing was back even worse. So last Tuesday took her and doc tried to tap her again. They KNEW she was vulnerable to anesthesia!!! But busy practitioners so forgot? Cleo had cardiopulmonary arrest for 2 minutes!! She came out 24 hours later completely blind and wobbly. Made a sudden recovery for one day just to acknowledge us and comfort us and then went back to horrible breathing. Couldn’t bear to watch her suffer so had vet alllow her to pass peacefully!! Remember we know there were mistakes made here and it is likely during tapping he tore her lungs a bit permitting pneumothorax!! But we don’t think he did it intentionally. Mother Nature has her divine plan. Can’t do anything once she decides it’s time. So let’s look deeply whether it is indeed true negligence or just errors by hardworking people that are overworked!! If true negligence and/or worse (deliberate!!! which is rare but could happen?) then yes we should fight the system or be extremely upset at the system. Otherwise these people could just be like us but overworked and tired. Our love and respect is the only thing that can bring them back to becoming empathetic and caring to the next patient!! Hope you are able to find peace!!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friend: So so sorry for your loss!! We just lost our precious Cleo yesterday to chylothorax. We can’t even enter our homes because it hurts so bad. She was first tapped off fthoracic cavity fluids 3 weeks back when we took her with slight labored breathing (after running). She went blue under anesthesia but they got her back. Came home and within one week breathing was back even worse. So last Tuesday took her and doc tried to tap her again. They KNEW she was vulnerable to anesthesia!!! But busy practitioners so forgot? Cleo had cardiopulmonary arrest for 2 minutes!! She came out 24 hours later completely blind and wobbly. Made a sudden recovery for one day just to acknowledge us and comfort us and then went back to horrible breathing. Couldn’t bear to watch her suffer so had vet alllow her to pass peacefully!! Remember we know there were mistakes made here and it is likely during tapping he tore her lungs a bit permitting pneumothorax!! But we don’t think he did it intentionally. Mother Nature has her divine plan. Can’t do anything once she decides it’s time. So let’s look deeply whether it is indeed true negligence or just errors by hardworking people that are overworked!! If true negligence and/or worse (deliberate!!! which is rare but could happen?) then yes we should fight the system or be extremely upset at the system. Otherwise these people could just be like us but overworked and tired. Our love and respect is the only thing that can bring them back to becoming empathetic and caring to the next patient!! Hope you are able to find peace!!
I am so sorry about your beloved Cleo and for what happened. Hugs to you❤

This was most definitely negligence and It's not acceptable in any way no matter what was going on with Merlin. I don't believe in divine reasons for such things. Cleo being sedated was also negligence.

People need to be held accountable for negligence on whatever level possible whenever possible. In addition there was abuse of me which has caused me more pain/harm. This was done out of laziness, incompetence and pure negligence. Unfortunately it is very difficult to hold people in medical professions accountable because the system is set up to protect them.

Also I think as you have expressed, dvm etc. think many people will just say it is divine will or whatever and believe it is ok, and that people will not fight back. But even when you fight back, unless you have lots of money to sue and the laws allow damages for pain and suffering, they still get away with it most of the time.

We are not talking about a "bad day", and even if it were a bad day it's not ok. There was a life at stake that is now gone forever. If you can't handle being in that profession and hold true to your oath to do no harm you should find another one. These are not mistakes/ errors, this is a pattern of laziness and blatant incompetence which results in negligence that seems to be taking over in veterinary medicine. There is also 0 compassion in most of the younger dvm I have encountered recently and this one was a sociopath.

I was reading on a veterinary forum recently and many were complaining about their profession, having to deal with people etc. nearly all said or implied they disliked people and dealing with them, that they had no time for their own life and more. It was hard to read. Do they think that other careers are not demanding? A couple said they now made over $200,000 for being remote pathology dvm or something to that effect. One said he was thrown out of school for failing/cheating accusations, and was having mental health issues and was medicated. Many said they were medicated for mental health issues.

As I mentioned above Merlin had xrays before and was not sedated for them, many of my cats have had xrays and none were ever sedated. No one would have thought of sedating them, they weren't feral cats, and they were friendly. Including two cats with hcm/chf.

There is no reason to sedate a touchable cat to do an xray, blood work or anything like that and ESPECIALLY not a cat who had breathing issues the night before with a drug that is contraindicated. Please read my entire post for the full information. Sedation is dangerous- that's why you have to sign a release for it. Someone who worked in the profession here said Telazol should never be used in cats because it doesn't allow them to put an airway in if they need to in an emergency.

Many will say that the death/complications rate from sedation/anesthesia is low in veterinary medicine, but it is significantly higher than for humans, and that death rate would never be tolerated for people.

It's on you as the owner to control what happens to your cat/dog etc.

Last edited:

Mptom72

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry about your beloved Cleo and for what happened. Hugs to you❤

This was most definitely negligence and It's not acceptable in any way no matter what was going on with Merlin. I don't believe in divine reasons for such things. Cleo being sedated was also negligence.

People need to be held accountable for negligence on whatever level possible whenever possible. In addition there was abuse of me which has caused me more pain/harm. This was done out of laziness, incompetence and pure negligence. Unfortunately it is very difficult to hold people in medical professions accountable because the system is set up to protect them.

Also I think as you have expressed, dvm etc. think many people will just say it is divine will or whatever and believe it is ok, and that people will not fight back. But even when you fight back, unless you have lots of money to sue and the laws allow damages for pain and suffering, they still get away with it most of the time.

We are not talking about a "bad day", and even if it were a bad day it's not ok. There was a life at stake that is now gone forever. If you can't handle being in that profession and hold true to your oath to do no harm you should find another one. These are not mistakes/ errors, this is a pattern of laziness and blatant incompetence which results in negligence that seems to be taking over in veterinary medicine. There is also 0 compassion in most of the younger dvm I have encountered recently and this one was a sociopath.

I was reading on a veterinary forum recently and many were complaining about their profession, having to deal with people etc. nearly all said or implied they disliked people and dealing with them, that they had no time for their own life and more. It was hard to read. Do they think that other careers are not demanding? A couple said they now made over $200,000 for being remote pathology dvm or something to that effect. One said he was thrown out of school for failing/cheating accusations, and was having mental health issues and was medicated. Many said they were medicated for mental health issues.

As I mentioned above Merlin had xrays before and was not sedated for them, many of my cats have had xrays and none were ever sedated. No one would have thought of sedating them, they weren't feral cats, and they were friendly. Including two cats with hcm/chf.

There is no reason to sedate a touchable cat to do an xray, blood work or anything like that and ESPECIALLY not a cat who had breathing issues the night before with a drug that is contraindicated. Please read my entire post for the full information. Sedation is dangerous- that's why you have to sign a release for it. Someone who worked in the profession here said Telazol should never be used in cats because it doesn't allow them to put an airway in if they need to in an emergency.

Many will say that the death/complications rate from sedation/anesthesia is low in veterinary medicine, but it is significantly higher than for humans, and that death rate would never be tolerated for people.

It's on you as the owner to control what happens to your cat/dog etc.
Totally agree. If only the vet was a bit focussed and diligent he should immediately have realized my dearest baby wasn’t candidate to use anesthetic on. What hurts my heart more is in the morning as if some power earned her of the impending doom she hid herself in her nest. She had absolutely zero clue we were going to take her to the vet!! We had just woke up and she NEVER EVER does that. So my 9.15AM I had to pull my dear one out. OMG it hurts bad my friend to think about that!!!! It’s so hurtful that she is not here anymore and all because I kept a vet appointment

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Totally agree. If only the vet was a bit focussed and diligent he should immediately have realized my dearest baby wasn’t candidate to use anesthetic on. What hurts my heart more is in the morning as if some power earned her of the impending doom she hid herself in her nest. She had absolutely zero clue we were going to take her to the vet!! We had just woke up and she NEVER EVER does that. So my 9.15AM I had to pull my dear one out. OMG it hurts bad my friend to think about that!!!! It’s so hurtful that she is not here anymore and all because I kept a vet appointment
I feel the same way. Wish I never took Merlin there.

Mptom72

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel the same way. Wish I never took Merlin there.
The truth is after Cleo passed we now take a diff route to completely avoid passing by that veterinary hospital where she was abruptly called from us. We now have pledged to support local SPCA and shelters with canned food and anything they require eat. That way we are doing something to the spirit of our beloved girl!!!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness, I've read some of your other thread and I just want to say my heart goes out to you and Merlin, I am so sorry for your loss and I hope you get some answers :(
Thanks Epona, I am still devastated. We miss him so terribly, his brothers are lost without him. Poor Zena meows a lot as if asking where is Merlin and Quinn does stuff too. They are all getting more bonded with Cinnamon now too who also misses Merlin.

No answers yet because the necropsy is still not done. I called the hospital and they said they had called Cornell who said it’s not done yet. I’m not sure what that means if anything. I can’t remember how long it took last time I did one, which was a long time ago. I am going to post the results in the lounge eventually and I’ll link it to here or something.

It’s so hard I really have fallen into a depression from this and I just can’t accept the reality that he’s gone forever. 💔

This was Merlin just 2 weeks before he died. 💔

At first I was looking at all the pictures of him and my videos a lot, and in the past few days I feel it is too painful to even look at them. 😿

It reminds me that I’m responsible for what happened to him. I remember feeling that way with my Byron who was basically murdered by another Dvm who pierced his spleen and then sent him home. I already knew that he was very ill then but I just wanted to take him home to say goodbye to everybody and he died a horrific death due to that. We had to rush him to the regular dvm who was very close then to euthanize. He suffered so much. I’ve never really recovered from that.

I just wish I could give my big ginger boy a huge hug and a kiss…hear him purring again and get head butts, and that none of this had ever happened.

Last edited:

Mptom72

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Epona, I am still devastated. We miss him so terribly, his brothers are lost without him. Poor Zena meows a lot as if asking where is Merlin and Quinn does stuff too. They are all getting more bonded with Cinnamon now too who also misses Merlin.

No answers yet because the necropsy is still not done. I called the hospital and they said they had called Cornell who said it’s not done yet. I’m not sure what that means if anything. I can’t remember how long it took last time I did one, which was a long time ago. I am going to post the results in the lounge eventually and I’ll link it to here or something.

It’s so hard I really have fallen into a depression from this and I just can’t accept the reality that he’s gone forever. 💔

This was Merlin just 2 weeks before he died. 💔

At first I was looking at all the pictures of him and my videos a lot, and in the past few days I feel it is too painful to even look at them. 😿

It reminds me that I’m responsible for what happened to him. I remember feeling that way with my Byron who was basically murdered by another Dvm who pierced his spleen and then sent him home. I already knew that he was very ill then but I just wanted to take him home to say goodbye to everybody and he died a horrific death due to that. We had to rush him to the regular dvm who was very close then to euthanize. He suffered so much. I’ve never really recovered from that.

I just wish I could give my big ginger boy a huge hug and a kiss…hear him purring again and get head butts, and that none of this had ever happened.
Hang in there however excruciating the pain is. We are going through the same. Disbelief is our status now too. No way to touch or hug or get that look right into your eyes. But it is the reality!!! There is simply no way out but through this valley of torment and pain. Pray if you are a believer of any faith and that has helped us. Your pain is a respect for the departed spirit so don’t be afraid of grieving. It’s natural healthy and respectful. But at the same time please try to engage in something that for sometime keeps your mind away for a while. Slowly slowly you will reach the other side of the valley because that’s what the spirit of the departed companion wants!!! It won’t be happy to see you grieving for long time!! So cry out and then slowly let go. Use some distractions for that. God bless!!!