Meowing

lakooda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a year old female tabby named Kitty, and I noticed that she does this odd thing when meowing. When I'm not around, my roommate said she's very vocal, but as soon as I get home, the norm for her volume in meowing is practically mute. She is vocal with me as well, but she meows so softly, it's like a whisper, and it's only when I'm around. At first I thought she was always like this until my roommate noticed she'd suddenly have a voice when I wasn't home. I began sneaking in so Kitty wouldn't notice and caught her meowing loudly red handed many times, but as soon as she saw me, she was back to whispering her meows. I've never had a cat behave like this towards me, she's very unique. What could be the reason she purposely loses her voice around me?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is possible that Kitty is "calling" for you when you are not around. My Panda meows when she is looking for me but she is quiet when she knows I am home. Even when I am talking to her, saying hello or asking her about her day, Panda will answer with some purring and soft meows. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lakooda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I understand what you mean by "calling" for me, and I do talk with her. But I found with everyone else, and when I'm not around, she has a normal volume setting when meowing; she's not loud or yowling. It's just a normal level. But as soon as she sees me or knows I'm around, it's like she loses her voice. She'll meow in a whisper. Lol it's quite cute, actually. I've witnessed her meowing normally, while I was peeking around a corner, and when she spotted me she instantly flipped a switch and was whispering. I've never encounter this behaviour in cats before, it's interesting and leaves me to wonder why she's so soft spoken with me.