Meowing. Lots of meowing.

princesscatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have three female, neutered, indoor cats who get along well - one aged 18 months, and two aged three years.

However, recently (the last few weeks) one of my older girls has started meowing at/near the front door. At first I thought it was something to do with her being upset, for want of a better word, about my boyfriend not being here since she only seemed to do it within the first ten minutes of leaving the flat. Today, though, she has been meowing at the door almost constantly despite the fact that we're both in the flat. She stops as soon as we pop into the hallway and will occasionally stop to come back into the living room for cuddles but nothing we have done has settled her.

She was at the vet today and I'm wondering if perhaps this is the cause of her behaviour? Maybe she's upset? I really don't know. I also caught her growling at the door earlier when I opened to see if there was something outside bugging her. I have used feliway, tried to distract her from the door, everything.

I just don't know what to do. I don't want to ignore it and hope that goes away because there might be something wrong with her but then again I don't want to reward her behaviour with attention and therefore cause it to continue.

Help?

I should mention that she has always been an indoor cat and has never been bothered by this before. She has never been outside. I live on the 3rd floor of a secure-entry apartment building (so getting her in and out of the building would be a problem even if my flat itself had a cat flap) and we live next to a very busy main road and busy carpark so I am also worried that even if I did manage to let her outside she would be run over.

Again, please help?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:yeah: That's all I can think of too.

A vet check would be a good idea, just to be sure there isn't a physical trigger.

Feliway diffusers might help her relax a little, and interactive play is a great stress buster too. Other than that, I'm not sure what to suggest.[article="30274"][/article][article="30307"][/article][article="30316"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="0"][/article]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

princesscatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not that I know of. The folk on the bottom floor of my building have a one-year-old outdoor cat (she gets in and out through the window but sometimes people let her in via the building door) but my cats have never seemed to bother with her scent in the building before.

Do you have any tips for de-stressing my girl if it is the scent of a new pet that's throwing her off? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

princesscatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The feliway spray seems to have helped a little bit but not loads. She was still meowing yesterday but it wasn't the constant meowing like the day before. I'm taking her back to the vet on Monday for another matter so I will mention it to them then if it continues.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are calming treats available on Amazon and pet stores, but I think it may be behavioral. She hears/smells something 'out there' and wants out. Maybe she knows now that there IS a 'out there' now since she went to the vet. I would ignore her and try to distract her with toys or treats. If she's a indoor cat she'll come around if she's not let out. Good luck!