Meowing At The Bedroom Door

hmorton92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am in need of help!

We live in the country and of course have mice in the house from time to time, which is taken care of by our kitties. However, our male likes to bring the mice upstairs and slide them under our bedroom door (not alive)... hence why we sleep with the door closed.
So lately, our female has been meowing at the door until I wake up and I am assuming it is a cry for attention. She is a healthy girl and has no issues what so ever that way.
I am at a loss. I don't know what to do to make her stop. I'd love to leave the door open but, I really do not want to wake up to a little dead mouse in the bed in the middle of the night or the morning.. Obviously if I don't find a solution, I will continue to deal.
I am just really hoping that someone might have some insight into this!!

Thank you all in advance! :crazy:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hmorton92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can block off the bottom of the door with a draft guard to keep presents from being pushed under.

Try the tips here to keep your cat from waking you up at night: How To Stop My Cat From Waking Me Up At Night (step-by-step Plan)
I am going to read that right now! I am not extremely worried about the presents under the door, only because then I know where the little bodies are and he doesn’t hide them somewhere else
That is a good idea though, maybe it would block some of her meowing!

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have had problems on and off with one of our two cats meowing at the bedroom door when it was closed, I swear it alternates between the two. We used to allow them into the room, but unfortunately our ragdoll would climb all over me all night and I could not sleep. As a result her sister got kicked out too not really fair but no way to let one in and one out. We tried putting a fan near the door as cats don't like fans, it did not work. We tried putting tin foil near the door so when she stepped on it she would run, also did not work, she just would scream meow from downstairs, lol. In any event the advice I have for you is the only thing that will work is time and consistency. They say it takes about two weeks for a cat to learn a new routine and I have found that to be true. When your cat meows outside the door, ignore it. Don't respond at all, literally if you can don't even move. You need to keep doing that, and eventually I promise you it will stop. The cat will learn that they are not getting any sort of response from the meowing and they will give up. If you need to use earplugs to block out the meowing (we had to do that), as well as a noise machine and fan. And whatever you do do not slip up and let her back in the room or respond to the meowing, because once you do you have to reset the whole process. Make sure all the people in your household follow the same plan and be consistent with it. For us our cats now understand that they can be in our bed/room while we are awake but as soon as the lights go out, they must leave. It took awhile, it was not easy, but it does work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hmorton92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have had problems on and off with one of our two cats meowing at the bedroom door when it was closed, I swear it alternates between the two. We used to allow them into the room, but unfortunately our ragdoll would climb all over me all night and I could not sleep. As a result her sister got kicked out too not really fair but no way to let one in and one out. We tried putting a fan near the door as cats don't like fans, it did not work. We tried putting tin foil near the door so when she stepped on it she would run, also did not work, she just would scream meow from downstairs, lol. In any event the advice I have for you is the only thing that will work is time and consistency. They say it takes about two weeks for a cat to learn a new routine and I have found that to be true. When your cat meows outside the door, ignore it. Don't respond at all, literally if you can don't even move. You need to keep doing that, and eventually I promise you it will stop. The cat will learn that they are not getting any sort of response from the meowing and they will give up. If you need to use earplugs to block out the meowing (we had to do that), as well as a noise machine and fan. And whatever you do do not slip up and let her back in the room or respond to the meowing, because once you do you have to reset the whole process. Make sure all the people in your household follow the same plan and be consistent with it. For us our cats now understand that they can be in our bed/room while we are awake but as soon as the lights go out, they must leave. It took awhile, it was not easy, but it does work.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I am going to have to train myself not to get up and give into her meowing by going to comfort her.... I know, it’s bad lol but when it’s 2am and you’re half asleep, it seems easiest Lol