Meowing all day and night !

Lizv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
So a few years ago we began feeding a stray cat in our garden. At the time it was very skinny and looked like it needed a good feed. Purely fed her outside to keep her healthy. We tried letting her in the house in the winter but she was really feral (hissing at everyone and ruining furniture). Therefore we resort to feeding her outside at set times. We notice though every time someone is in our kitchen the cat is meowing at the door even though it isn’t feeding time. She literally lives in a space in the garden, but the meowing is constant all day and through the night. Is there anyone who could answer my question as to why she’s meowing so much?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
H and welcome to TCS! How long ago was it that you tried to see if she would stay inside somewhere? Maybe try again?

You don't really know how old she is, so she may be reaching an age where she feels more vulnerable and is looking for some kind of security? She must be hanging around in the area that allows her recognize activity in your kitchen? It would seem to me that she is not straying very far away. (I presume she was spayed at some point in time?)

Could you set up a warm spot outside in the area where she hangs out close to your kitchen, if she is not willing to come inside? This TCS article might have some ideas for you.
How To Help Feral Cats Stay Safe & Warm During Winter - TheCatSite

Another article if you think you might like to keep her as your own -
The 5 Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside - TheCatSite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lizv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you and thank you your reply!

I’m not 100% sure how old she is, I assume she is an older cat (obviously not sure how old). We have set up a house outside with blankets etc for her to sleep in. We tried a few months ago with letting her in but it was just really hard to have her in the house. However we can’t stop feeding her as we have done it for so long! We’re just not sure why she’s meowing so much recently, even straight after a feed she’ll be walking around meowing constantly.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She is looking for something from you and apparently trusts you. She may not actually know what exactly she is looking for, so it all depends on how far you want to go with her to find out. She could be ill too, and again, looks to you for help.

Hanging around to the degree that she seems to be doing, and meowing all the time is a certain cry for help - the question is what kind of help is she looking for? As I said, she may not even know herself, she just feels she can find it from you.