Meow mix?

kittylova

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
hello,

Ok its me asking again. What about meow mix? is that better? or no.
I dont want to pay that much. so yes or no.
thanks

here is the ingrets {hope spelled it right
)
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (Min) - 36.0%
Crude Fat (Min) - 15.0%
Crude Fiber (Max) - 4.5%
Moisture (Max) - 12.0%
Calcium (Min) - 1.2%
Phosphorus (Min) - 1.1%
Taurine (Min) - 0.15%
Ingredients
Chicken By-Product Meal, Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Ground Yellow Corn, Soybean Meal, Beef Tallow Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols (Source of Vitamin E), Fish Meal (Source of Ocean Fish Flavor), Brewers Dried Yeast, Salmon Meal, Turkey By-Product Meal, Powdered Cellulose, Animal Digest, Tetra Sodium Pyrophosphate, Phosphoric Acid, Calcium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, L-Alanine, Taurine, Manganese Sulfate, Red 40, Niacin, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Supplement, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Yellow 5, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Blue 2, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin Supplement, Rosemary Extract, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin D Supplement, Biotin, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity). A-1300

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meow Mix is probably the WORSE cat food on the market! A lot of cats are allergic or get sick from the red dye that is in the food. I remember a lot of people coming in to cat shows (as spectators) asking why their cats were sick all the time and throwing up. The first question we asked was "what are you feeding your cat?" The most common answer: Meow Mix. We told them to switch to a NON dyed food - better quality like Iams, Science Diet, Nutro Max and see what happens.

IMO you get what you pay for - get cheaper foods and your cats will be more sick or have long range problems. Get a better/top quality food and you will have less vet bills.

My cats (for over 20 yrs) have been fed Iams and are in good health - oldest rexes I have are 17 and 15 yrs old (the 17 yr old lives with a good cat friend).

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Wet or dry? Abby gets the wet, but I wouldn't feed her the dry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylova

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
they are about $11.79 a pound!! I will love to feed them that.Plus i have to feed 7 other cats!!!!

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our brood does very well on either the Meow Mix or Purina Indoor Formulas. No throw-up, less poops, great activity levels. We have from 13 year old to 3 month old, all are healthy and hyper on those.

stephenie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My understanding is that the cheaper the food the more litter you go though. As the cat eats more in order to get the nutrition they need and there for have more waist.

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As for the dry, no thanks! I do feed the pouches once in awhile.
Personally I try to stay away from cat chow, whiskas, meow mix and friskies, plus any generic dry food brand. (except maybe a brand like authority). I do occassionally give my cats a bit of junk dry food as a treat, that's it, but never as a main source of food.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely a no darlin. Although, if you're looking for something a little less expensive than some of the more pricey brands...i recommend Purina. It's a great brand, and all of my kitties love it...i switched them off of Science Diet and Iams onto Purina and they all love it. Good luck

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
not all quality foods are an arm and a leg. Chicken soup for the cat lovers soul for one...not overly pricey but much better than Meow mix.

I am not rich by any means. But all my cats get quality food and car. and i have 14 and 2 dogs.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
KittyLova,
I do hope you will consider trying to afford a little bit better grade of food than the Meow Mix. If nothing else, is there a program in your area where they help those in need and give cat food? Our local humane shelter takes donations and gives food to those in need. It might be worth checking out.

I have a large pride of cats, (I think that's the right word. LOL).
Anyway...I am on a fixed income and am feeding them Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul as a not too expensive choce for quality.

Before I came here I had been feeding Kit "n" Kaboodle and simply never gave it a thought that I was giving those little souls that depend on me to do the right thing for them garbage.

I've tried the real expensive foods and the cheaper. For me I don't find the large bags of Chicken Soup any more expensive than Iams, Purina One or Eukanuba.

I am thinking of ordering some HealthWise which seems to be priced about the same as Chicken Soup. It is made by Natura who also makes California Natural and Innova. The only reason I'm considering that is that Chicken Soup has never seemed to be a real favorite for my little furballs.

My biggest problem with expense is that they are all wet food piggies and although I give them Friskies wet those prices can mount up, but I just don't have the heart to cut them back when they give me those "Mom, I'm starving" looks.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The wet pouches have great ingredients and that is what my cat gets, he has bad food allergies but is fariyl okay with these. He doesn't itch hardly at all on it.

I like the ingredients... and the price for the wet food is fairly cheap. You can buy a 12 pack for $5 which isn't too bad considering I was having to spend $30+ for 24 cans of another food I was feeding.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My opinion comes from some finicky kitties in my past as well as a love for them. Purina definitely! My Pandora would only eat Cat chow, bless her soul, and it is much better if cutting corners!
As well Iams has become much more available and affordable........

toffeemao

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well the wet meow mix is better than the dry meow mix because there's no by products. I feed my cat solid gold, and so far she's doing well on it.

i

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylova

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
From fancy feast?? If so that what i feed my cat too. Birdie has science diet
and fancy feed solid gold.

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Solid Gold is NOT Fancy Feast. Fancy Feast makes Gourmet Gold which is also a very inferior food. Solid Gold is one of the oldest natural pet food companies and makes an excellent food.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Harley gets the Meow Mix wet pouches - 3 of them a day

Its the only wet food he'll actually eat! I go with what works

kitmao

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm wondering though. My cat is almost ten years old now, and I got her when I was 16. Her whole life she has been mostly fed Meow Mix because that is the only thing she will eat. Anytime I've tried to fed her something better, she starts puking it back up every time she eats, so I always end up back at Meow Mix. I never knew Meow Mix was really bad for cats, any suggestions, or anyone have problems like this with the cat throwing up when you change their food?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kitmao

I'm wondering though. My cat is almost ten years old now, and I got her when I was 16. Her whole life she has been mostly fed Meow Mix because that is the only thing she will eat. Anytime I've tried to fed her something better, she starts puking it back up every time she eats, so I always end up back at Meow Mix. I never knew Meow Mix was really bad for cats, any suggestions, or anyone have problems like this with the cat throwing up when you change their food?
Graudually change her food by mixing old and new together for about 3 weeks or so ... I would recommend a chicken or chicken meal( i like meal better) senior formula... If you have a Petco or Petsmart look at Nutro and Royal Canin .... both are good foods but are not "fancy" with lots of meat sources or grains

smilla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In the long run premium foods are not more expensive than inferior foods such as Meow Mix.

Say you have an 8 pound cat. You could feed your cat a premium food (I'll use Science Diet as an example) or Meow Mix. Your cat needs to eat 1/2 cup of Science Diet a day compared to 1 1/4 cup (or more) of Meow Mix a day. A 7lb bag of Meow Mix costs $8 US on petfooddirect.com. A bag of Science Diet costs $21.49 for 8.5 pounds.

SD = $2.53 a pound
MM = $1.14 a pound

1 pound = roughly 4.5 cups

SD = 9 daily feedings a pound
MM = 3.6 daily feedings a pound

SD would cost you 28 cents a day to feed your cat.
MM would cost you 32 cents a day to feed your cat.

Kind of hard to follow, but can you see how it really doesn't cost more to feed premium food?

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meow Mix is definitely not a good food. The ingredients tell you the whole story.

Buy a big Rubbermaid container and use it to store large quantities of dry food. Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul is an excellent food (much, much better than Iams or Science Diet or even Nutro) and if you buy the 18 pound bag it comes to barely more than $1/lb. You get a much better value for your money if you buy the larger bags of food.