Meow Mix Kitten food

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have already had some great responses. Just to add on...in a more modest price range but still decent quality is PetSmart's Authority brand. I used this with two recent kitten strays.

In addition to the avoids that folks mentioned, I recommend avoiding any food with a large amount of grains - wheat flour, soy flour, no need for sugars, garlic (IMO) is also something I suggest avoiding.

danalee2682

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
could anyone please give me some more information on science diet and where it ranks. i was always under the impression that science diet was a good brand (it's what i have for my baby right now) but after reading the label, i just noticed that it does have chicken by-product and corn in the ingredients.

thanks!

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone else's responses to your thread thus far but would like to add that once the kitten is older and eats more grown-up food, the Meow Mix pouches are actually quite good. All real ingreadients. The ingredients list off the back of one called "Hook, Line and Sinker" is:
TUNE, FISH BROTH, SARDINE, TUNA LIVER, RED SNAPPER, OCEAN FISH, GUAR GUM, VEGETABLE OIL, CARRAGEENAN, TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, VITAMINS..... ETC.

Al really good stuff... she loves it too. It does have bigger chunks in it though so I would definately wait until she is older to give it to her! Good luck finding a brand good for her and that she likes!!

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by danalee2682

could anyone please give me some more information on science diet and where it ranks. i was always under the impression that science diet was a good brand (it's what i have for my baby right now) but after reading the label, i just noticed that it does have chicken by-product and corn in the ingredients.

thanks!
BEST food is EVO as it has NO Grains. I do not know if it is for kittens though. The next best would be Felidae and it is for both cats and kittens, and then there is wellness, and then one's like Nutro and Authority.

Cats do NOT utilize grains! They just poop them right out and grains are used ONLY for fillers!

The MORE MEAT in food the better for them, and Felidae is made up of three different kinds of meat. My adults eat that (except when they can get into Missy's fancy feast. FF is not good but Missy has stomatitis and other health problems so I let her have whatever she will eat.

My youngest, Panther is on Evo and loves it!

The FIRST THREE ingredients in the label of cat food is what is in it the most!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

straykat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MyBabies

BEST food is EVO as it has NO Grains. I do not know if it is for kittens though. The next best would be Felidae and it is for both cats and kittens, and then there is wellness, and then one's like Nutro and Authority.

Cats do NOT utilize grains! They just poop them right out and grains are used ONLY for fillers!

The MORE MEAT in food the better for them, and Felidae is made up of three different kinds of meat. My adults eat that (except when they can get into Missy's fancy feast. FF is not good but Missy has stomatitis and other health problems so I let her have whatever she will eat.

My youngest, Panther is on Evo and loves it!

The FIRST THREE ingredients in the label of cat food is what is in it the most!
I totaly agree those are great foods but I have 4 adult cats,mama cat that was just spayed and her four 7 week old babies.The foods you suggested are VERY exspenive so I'm trying to feed nine cats good but affordable food.
Thanks for the input

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Affordable foods are Authority and Nurto Natural and a few other comparable grade feeds.

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Straykat

I totaly agree those are great foods but I have 4 adult cats,mama cat that was just spayed and her four 7 week old babies.The foods you suggested are VERY exspenive so I'm trying to feed nine cats good but affordable food.
Thanks for the input
BOY you just said the E word! I just spent $20.00 for a bag of Evo! I don't have that kind of money! Wish they would give coupons. I DO get free samples at one store but it costs money to drive to it!

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

where can evo and felidae be found at?

thanks!
You would find them at SMALL pet stores not in chain one's, or online. Type in the names of these foods in your browsers and it should show you where to buy them!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
High cost
EVO I didnt like and many have had the same trouble
Cal Natural great but other stuff can be gotten for less$$
Wellness My two wouldnt touch wet or dry
Eagle Pack My vet vetoed this one in dry the wet is a huge hit
Solid Gold noot a big hit at my house

Mid range
Nutro Natural choice great , good flavor choice ( Zoey likes
)
Chn soup a bit grain heavy but good
Felidea great if you can find it reasonably
Royal Canin good but many have corn and cellulose

Lower Priced
Nutros Max cat has wheat but good ( KK loved the senior)
Authority some have corn and cellulose, wet is great for the price and all like

YMMV as to price in some areas

danalee2682

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i am so thankful for y'all and this forum. i found a great local pet store that carries evo, felidae, natural balance, wellness, etc. now all i need to do is make up my mind as to what i think he'll enjoy most and is best for him. i am so distraught over what is in science diet and the fact that i've been giving it to him for the first few months of his life (he's 5 months old now). my only question is, should i finish out the bag of science diet i have now or start switching him to something better now and throw away the rest of the old food? while i don't care how much i spend in the future for his food (only the best for my boy
) i just hate to throw away a big open bag of food.

thanks! you guys rock!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

i am so thankful for y'all and this forum. i found a great local pet store that carries evo, felidae, natural balance, wellness, etc. now all i need to do is make up my mind as to what i think he'll enjoy most and is best for him. i am so distraught over what is in science diet and the fact that i've been giving it to him for the first few months of his life (he's 5 months old now). my only question is, should i finish out the bag of science diet i have now or start switching him to something better now and throw away the rest of the old food? while i don't care how much i spend in the future for his food (only the best for my boy
) i just hate to throw away a big open bag of food.

thanks! you guys rock!
I would start switching him - gradually mixing in the new food you choose with the current food. What ever is left, donate to your local shelter if they'll take an open bag

I personally would take the Wellness off the list to try, they use garlic, and no one knows how much garlic it takes to cause the same issues that onion consumption can cause - Heniz Body anemia (and the sensitivity to garlic varies cat to cat).

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MyBabies

You would find them at SMALL pet stores not in chain one's, or online. Type in the names of these foods in your browsers and it should show you where to buy them!
My Pet Value store started carrying Felidae just recently. They also have Eagle Pack, Chicken Soup, Merricks, Solid Gold, and Dick Van Pattern's food.
I picked some Felidae samples there today. Also, sometimes they have sales and today I picked up a carrier (75% off). I also bought Booda Dom litter box there for 75 %.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by elizwithcat

My Pet Value store started carrying Felidae just recently. They also have Eagle Pack, Chicken Soup, Merricks, Solid Gold, and Dick Van Pattern's food.
I picked some Felidae samples there today. Also, sometimes they have sales and today I picked up a carrier (75% off). I also bought Booda Dom litter box there for 75 %.
Felidae is a great food ..