Menu foods: list of products made by them, but not necessarily on the recall list?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's a link from tonight about the melamine:

http://www.charter.net/news/read.php...CL2_UNEWSstory

And here's another one about a new recall (only one cat product listed):

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...23&newsLang=en

BRANDED/
Production Code/Best By Date :

Jerky Treats Beef Flavor Dog Snacks
Code: TP7C05 TP7B07 TP7B08 TP7B09 TP6B10
Best By: Aug 05 08 Aug 07 08 Aug 08 08 Aug 09 08 Aug 10 08

Code: TP7B15 TP7C05 TP7C06
Best By: Aug 15 08 Sep 02 08 Sep 03 08

Gravy Train Beef Sticks Dog Snacks
Code: TP7B19 TP7B20 TP7B21
Best By: Aug 19 08 Aug 20 08 Aug 21 08

Pounce Meaty Morsels Moist Chicken Flavor Cat Treats
Best By: Sep 04 08 Sep 09 08
Code: TP7C07 TP7C12

PRIVATE LABEL

Ol' Roy Beef Flavor Jerky Strips Dog Treats
Code: TP7B06 TP7B07 TP7C05 TP7C06 TP7C07
Best By: Aug 06 08 Aug 07 08 Sep 02 08 Sep 03 08 Sep 04 08
Code: TP7C08
Best By: Sep 05 08

Ol' Roy Beef Flavor Snack Sticks Dog Treats
Code: TP7B19 TP7B20 TP7B21 TP7C08 TP7C09
Best By: Aug 19 08 Aug 20 08 Aug 21 08 Sep 05 08 Sep 06 08

Ol' Roy Bark'n Bac'n Beef & Bacon Flavor Dog Treats
Code: TP7C14
Best By: Sep 11 08

Ol' Roy with Beef Hearty Cuts in Gravy Dog Food
Code: BC6M21
Best By: Dec 21 09

Ol' Roy with Beef Hearty Strips in Gravy Dog Food
Code: BC7A19
Best By: Jan 19 10

Ol' Roy Country Stew Hearty Cuts in Gravy Dog Food
Code: BC6M15
Best By: Dec 15 09

Dollar General Beef Flavored Jerky Strips Dog Treats
Code: TP7C06
Best By: Sep 03 08

Dollar General Beef Flavored Beef Sticks Dog Treats
Code: TP7B20 TP7B21
Best By: Aug 20 08 Aug 21 08

Happy Tails Beef Flavor Jerky Strips
Code: TPY7B08 TP7B09
Best By: Aug 08 08 Aug 09 08

Happy Tails Meaty Cuts with Beef in Gravy Dog Food
Code: BC7A29 Best By: Jan 29 10

hareting

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i've been checking the PetsitUSA list of safe product (http://petsitusa.com/blog/?p=210) and according to them, high end brands like Wellness, Innova Evo, Eagle Pack do use Menu Foods to manufacture some of their can product. However, when I talk to my local pet shop owner today, (It's Global Pets in Markham, Ontario), she told me that she's been getting letters from all of her suppliers stating that they make their own product and non of them use Menu Foods. (except wellness use Hagen). I'm totally confused by this new piece of information, i think i'd personally call up these company (wellness, innova) to find out if they actually use Menu Foods or not

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by hareting

i've been checking the PetsitUSA list of safe product (http://petsitusa.com/blog/?p=210) and according to them, high end brands like Wellness, Innova Evo, Eagle Pack do use Menu Foods to manufacture some of their can product. However, when I talk to my local pet shop owner today, (It's Global Pets in Markham, Ontario), she told me that she's been getting letters from all of her suppliers stating that they make their own product and non of them use Menu Foods. (except wellness use Hagen). I'm totally confused by this new piece of information, i think i'd personally call up these company (wellness, innova) to find out if they actually use Menu Foods or not
Yes they are .... Now it may be only part of the line... nautra ( innova s parent company evan put out a video on how they plan to build there own plant and only use domestic ingrediants

I am still avoid all menu cans for the time being but that is me being paranoid

milos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This all shock me that compony can be so impractical and bad for securing proper foodstuffs...

I don't like it when this happen

hareting

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Yes they are .... Now it may be only part of the line... nautra ( innova s parent company evan put out a video on how they plan to build there own plant and only use domestic ingrediants

I am still avoid all menu cans for the time being but that is me being paranoid
yeah...i'm totally paranoid too...like who knows if the plant is contaminated and the non-recall food would be affected becuz they r manufactured using the same machines with the recall ones.

also I'm so annoyed that they start out saying the toxin is aminopterin and later say it's melamine..so..can't they just do a proper test? i mean..why do they think it's aminopterin earlier and now say it's melamine? it was just a wrong result ? or it actually contains both..

and now dry is being recalled too, so..what's safe to feed?

i'm just going to stick to my raw for now

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wellness customer service just called me back. Here is what he told me:

MENU foods does make some of their foods. But since they DO NOT use any wheat products in any of their Welllness foods, they say that they are not affected. (Rats! I wish I had asked if they were planning to continue using Menu!)

Any wheat product that is used (in Old Mother Hubbard) is grown in either the U.S. or Canada. They say nothing is imported. Neither wet nor dry Wellness has any wheat product at all.

The newest brand of cat food, called Wellness CORE has NO grains of any kind and is higher in protein. This is a brand that is just being introduced.

I hope that this clarifies things for those of us using Wellness.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I called Wellness this morning to clarify which Menu Foods plant they were using for their canned cat food.

I was told the Kansas plant.
The Menu Foods Kansas plant, has a cuts and gravy machine and did make some of the food that was recalled.
Wellness was not involved.

Personally, I am afraid to buy any wet food that was or will be manufactured in a plant that made recalled food until ----
we are sure the source of the toxin has been found and removed.

It's a shame...
I bought several cans yesterday hoping to use it...
I will return it to the store until this is resolved.
That is just my opinion.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also haven't bought any wet foods since the recall! I just want to be safe i cherish my cats too much! My older cat won't eat wet food but my kitten loves it! She has only had it once and it was the Wellness Kitten Wet formula! I think Ill hold off until all this chaos blows over! Thank you so much for the information!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Right now I am risking my kitties by feeding them some Natura's California Natural Chicken & Brown rice.
It was made in Menu Foods N. Dakota plant which does not have a cuts and gravy machine.
Natura has had no recalls.....
yet.
I hope it is safe.

What a mess.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope no one encounters any issues with theyre kitties! What a scarey situation! I would be furious if I was a victim to the recall affects and lost my pets!