Members - PLEASE read

cat52

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some info on what CAN be used - I did research on this for college not too long ago! I think some of this appears above, too.

Copyrighted pictures now no longer need to be marked as such. It used to be safe to use a photo unless it had the photographer's name and a copyright mark - but this is no longer true.

Generally, up to 10% of a copyrighted text can be quoted (with attribution to the source) under Fair Use.

Written and graphical items can be linked to or used in their entirety if and only if they are labeled "For public use".

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's my fault this time, guys & gals - albeit an accident.

I'm sorry.
I promise I won't do it again.

~KK~

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
It wasn't directed at you. There have been a lot more copyright photos posted lately, so it was time to bump up the reminder.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

It wasn't directed at you. There have been a lot more copyright photos posted lately, so it was time to bump up the reminder.
Well, that makes me feel a little better!
I'm happy to hear I'm not the ONLY person who's done it!
But I was partially to "blame", so an apology was in order.

~KK~

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
The Moderators have been having to remove a lot of copyright material from the board lately, so it is time to bump up this reminder.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shorty14788

I must admit, I did not know that until I read this... I'll have to watch what I post now...
I didn't either. On another forum I am more active in, people get mad if you DON'T copy the whole article and paste it because people are too lazy to click on a link. I understand that the website is trying to cover their butt, but at the same time I think the chances of litigation ever being a possibility are slim to none. I'm a 3rd year law student and don't know much about copyright laws, never having researched them and being too lazy to do so.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sakura

I didn't either. On another forum I am more active in, people get mad if you DON'T copy the whole article and paste it because people are too lazy to click on a link. I understand that the website is trying to cover their butt, but at the same time I think the chances of litigation ever being a possibility are slim to none. I'm a 3rd year law student and don't know much about copyright laws, never having researched them and being too lazy to do so.
We have been contacted by authors/owners of the work on threads that we (the mod team) have missed numerous times.

While the general netiquette is that the owner will ask for the offending item to be removed (basically a "Cease and Desist"), and if refused then they may file a lawsuit, it's not law that they must ask nicely first. They could just sick the lawyers on any site that violates the copyright law.

I realize that there are a lot of other forums that allow or even encourage posting copyrighted materials, but this forum isn't one of them.
Anne is quite aware and respectful of other author's/artist's/photographer's rights and internet law.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
What Heidi (valanhb) said. As the owner of the site, I just wanted to add that I've had my share of litigations. It has happened to me not once but twice already, so don't be counting on the odds on that one - or at least I won't be. Like Heidi said, most people will contact you first and once you follow their request, all will be fine. At least two pepole so far went ahead and sued me over things which were said in a forum that I was moderating at the time. No initial requests or anything, just a lawsuit and a court order in my mail box. They were wrong too, but it didn't stop them from dragging us through the courts for three years, costing me legal fees, countless hours wasted in court and finally a settlement where we paid her $1000 just to get it over with. The other lawsuit is still on btw. The sum we're talking about is $100,000 and although we're 100% sure the guy won't win, it is still not something very pleasant to go through.

It's something I prefer not to discuss on the boards too much, but yes, it does effect the moderating style on this board. I hope it helps to clarify why we sometimes seem to be over-cautious and "covering our butt". When you get kicked in the behind, you tend to cover it more

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just out of curiousity..why not just sticky this thread instead of having to bump it?

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by okiron

Just out of curiousity..why not just sticky this thread instead of having to bump it?
Yeah! I was wondering the same thing. Just sticky this sucker!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by okiron

Folks don't always read stickies but they do tend to read threads IMO.