Meltdown (again!)

justagimmick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Things have been going well between Belle and Freddie as of late.

There had even been occasions where you could almost say they've been affectionate (Freddie slept on top of her back legs, some grooming) and I've just had another complete setback.

Today I let Belle out in the back garden for the first time.  She's been making mad dashes to go out and explore a lot recently.  The plan has always been to let her roam, I live in a low-traffic area and Freddie is in and out as he pleases already.

They greeted each other ok the first couple of times in the garden, tails up and curious, rubbing cheeks.

Then, mid-housework, I hear what sounds like a cat screaming.  run out to see Belle all puffed up.  Guessed she has come across another neighborhood cat, but no.  There's Freddie, equally puffed up.  She chased him inside and went for him, repeatedly.  I have no idea what triggered it, I put her back in her room (she hasn't been kept in one place for a while now) and by the time I'd sorted that I can't find Freddie.  The fight took his collar off and there is ginger fur everywhere!

I'm freaked out by how vicious is was and no idea what steps to take next.  Help?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How are things now?  My guess is that it's either because she was in his territory or something else spooked one or both of them and it set them off.