Megacolon Kitty

romulus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Needed advise/help. If anyone out there has an extra bag of Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Fiber Response diet, can you please let me know.
My kitty is highly constipated .. a few yrs ago he was diagnosed with this condition Megacolon. Unfortunately his food is not available and he is constipated. It is out of stock everywhere, also is there anything I can give him so he could go poop.
Thanks in advance .

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you try Miralax while you search for his food? At least 1/8 tsp (maybe for megacolon, up it to 1/4 tsp) mixed with just a bit of water, and then added to his food. Once a day, and if that doesn't reap results, twice a day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

romulus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are giving him Miralax, Lactulose and soft food with little water so he can eat it .. giving him water thru a syringe as he is not drinking any. I am in Calif... .. getting it from Canada will be expensive.

romulus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have contacted both Chewy and Royal Canin... Both say they r not sure when they will be back in stock. My cat has to suffer thru this ordeal.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

romulus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our vet told us about other diet but unfortunately 'cats will be cats', he's not eating it.

romulus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all.. if anyone else can think of anything.. please let me know.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In addition to the Miralax (which needs lots of water but it sounds like you're on top of that) you can give him coconut oil or olive oil. Ask your vet if they recommend a sliver of infants glycerin suppository. You are giving the same meds that we gave my disabled daughter's ESA cat and she lived to be 18. She did have to be hospitalized for enemas once (cats should have enemas done professionally and it's done in small increments over a long period of time).

romulus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He did get enemas done 4 times already before, once under Anesthesia and the others under sedation. But that was 7 yrs ago. After a long gap it happened again obviously because his food is out of stock. I will try giving him coconut oil. I will as the vet about the suppository though 👍

romulus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Latest update.. he is still not using the litter.. my vet did prescribe Cisapride.. hopefully I will start it today as soon as I get it.. prayers

romulus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We did go to the vet 4 or.5 days ago and he underwent enema under anesthesia.. he still has some left inside .. and has not done any since.

romulus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I picked up Cisapride today.. I am keeping fingers crossed he will go in a few days .