MEGA vibes needed for Palekana

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
what about syringing some broth or thinned out baby food? might help... vibes & prayers on the way!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Palekana.

I second Laureen's suggestion about syringing some food into her, if she'll let you of course.
Good luck with the treatment.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Baby food works wonders... I've never seen a kitty resist baby food chicken. Just be sure it doesn't have any onions or spices in it.

Continuing to send light and love to Palekana...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the continuing vibes. The baby food idea may work. I had forgotten about that.

I got most of her meds into her tonight. A little medication got on her rather than in her and a little got on me but the majority is in her. She now knows what's coming so she fought more than she did this morning. That's my Palekana girl. At least she wasn't mad at me. She let me pick her up for a cuddle as soon as I finished syringing her.

I received more information about the results of the x-rays today. There is something unusual about the small intestine where it attaches to the stomach or the pancreas. The vet was a little unclear about it because she is not sure what it is. She may need a more specific x-ray in order to make a final determination. At this point the vet wants to wait for the biopsy results. Something else to worry about.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still sending prayers and hugs from Mississippi for Palekana, I hope she gets to feeling better soon.

Please keep us updated on her.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, she is definitely feeling better today. The meds to soothe her stomach seem to be working. She's eating more than she has in the last month. She's not eating enough but it's a huge improvement.

I was not able to syringe the meds into her today. She's feeling stronger and is fighting me every step of the way. This morning I finally got the syringe in her mouth, pressed the plunger and she moved. So, 2cc. of the 3cc she is supposed to have ended up on me. At that point I decided to try hiding it in her food. The vet said that was alright. I mixed the 1cc. remaining in a small amount of food and she ate it. Yea! It took two or three trips to the food dish but she ate it. I mixed some more meds later and hid it in more food. She only got part of that down. I think the food sat around too long, plus I refrigerated it for a while. Seems she's not fond of "leftovers". Tomorrow I'll try small amounts of food with small amounts of meds throughout the day.

Thanks again for all the good wishes. I'll report as soon as I hear about the biopsy results.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so glad she is starting to eat! That is a very good sign.
I wish there was some way to communicate the necessity of medicine to them, but it looks like you have come up with a way to get it to her. Continued vibes and prayers

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's good to hear that she's getting stronger. Hopefully she'll keep eating the meds in her food and keep getting better.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, back to syringing the meds today. She ate very little at breakfast. I allowed her all morning to finish the medicated food and she never did. She was also hiding again so I knew she didn't feel well. After lunch I decided there was no choice except to syringe it down. It was a battle but I got it done. I just finished giving her another dose. It's now 9:30PM here. This was a worse battle than in the afternoon. As I was trying to medicate her I told her that I was only doing this because I love her, that the medicine will make her tummy feel better so she can eat etc, etc.

I know the meds help the irritation in her stomach so that she can eat comfortably. Within an hour and a half after giving her the first meds today she was in the kitchen looking for food. Since it was much too early for the evening wet food I gave her some dry and she ate it immediately. She did well again at dinner. She still needs to eat more. I'm hoping that her appetite will eventually improve it she keeps getting the meds. How about some easy medication by syringe vibes for us.

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just saw this thread for the first time.

Sending you many hugs and thoughts from the mainland.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just saw this thread and o my I am sending major get well vibes ur way
I am so glad that she is feeling a little bit better tho, I am also sending u guys lots and lots of hugs
U guys are in my thoughts nad prayers !! Please continue to keep us updated

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keeping my fingers crossed that it is something treatable. I think I would just feed her when she shows interest in eating, and forget about normal mealtimes now, especially if she needs to put some more weight back on.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

Keeping my fingers crossed that it is something treatable. I think I would just feed her when she shows interest in eating, and forget about normal mealtimes now, especially if she needs to put some more weight back on.
Yes, that is basically what I'm doing. I offered wet at the morning feeding and she wasn't interested. After I gave her the meds she came looking for food. I offered both dry and wet and she just picked at both of them. After I finish posting here I'll check on her and try again. My poor baby is having such a hard time.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First off
and healing vibes sent your way from me and my crew.

Just wanted to mention that you might also try some NutriCal. It's a high caloric supplement that is supposedly very tasty. Now, you can't tell that by my cats, but..other animals I've had have loved it. It will help her get her weight back. (And, if it's strong enough, you might be able to sneak the meds into it).

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

First off
and healing vibes sent your way from me and my crew.

Just wanted to mention that you might also try some NutriCal. It's a high caloric supplement that is supposedly very tasty. Now, you can't tell that by my cats, but..other animals I've had have loved it. It will help her get her weight back. (And, if it's strong enough, you might be able to sneak the meds into it).
Thanks for the hugs and vibes.

Actually, I have some NurtiCal. The vet suggested I try hiding her antibiotics in it. She wouldn't touch it.
I may try again, though. Anything is worth a try to get calories into her little body. At least your cats and one of mine agree on the NutriCal.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, well, I was dabbing it on Joyeux's paws when I wanted her to eat it. You can only get a little bit of it on there at a time, though, cause it's pretty runny once it's warm. She seems to like it once she's got the taste of it, but perhaps isn't enticed by the smell.