Mega Colon. Need Help And Advice

itsybitsy15

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone! My cat had a C-section 3 years back and ever since she isn't struggled with constipation her hips were broken when she was younger and they grew back and fused and so the openings in her pelvis are much smaller than what a normal cats would be and recently she was diagnosed with megacolon. I have her on laxatives every other day and we've been putting pureed pumpkin into her food to help bring in some extra fiber but recently I've noticed that she is constipated again and I cannot afford to take her to the vet again at the moment as I just spent my last $200 on Care Credit for shots for my litter of pups as I was really not expecting this issue to get this bad right now.

I guess what I'm asking is are there any ways to help her at home other than giving her laxatives and pumpkin she is in unable to pass much in the last few days nearly a week, does anyone have any advice or ideas?

I have given her veda lax, wet food, pumpkin, milk (approved by my vet in hopes to cause some bowel upset so she could poop) I'm willing to try anytging at this point!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

itsybitsy15

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Yes she has free access to the Auto waterer and several bowls around the house,

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is always constiPated and won’t eat pumpkin. I used to add psyllium husk to her wet food but it was recently recommend to give her 1/4 tsp of miralax mixed well with liquid and added to wet food 1x per day. I’ve taken my car completely off dry food due to dehydration. She gets “soup” 2 times per day of 1/2 large can Hills science Diet Hairball control with dash of olive oil, and enough beef broth to make soupy. Now I add the 1/4 tsp of miralax to one of those meals. She also takes a grain free probiotic 2x per day. I had to play around with my cats diet to figure out what works best.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know when people take laxatives frequently they can get nerve damage and eventually things don't work anymore. Soo.....
I had a cat with megacolon and I used to give her enemas at home. I know this is rare a cat would allow that but she did. I had a baby ear syringe and I filled it with warm water, put vasaline on the tip and just did it. That worked. I did that for her every other day for 6 years. Way too long! But like your kitty, she had nothing else wrong with her.
You might need to try to find a way to get her to the vet. She needs to be looked at. How long has it been since she has gone and is she still eating?