Mega colon, euthanasia and guilt

Colleen12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My big bellied, cuddly 13 year old boy Truman was diagnosed with mega colon about 6-7 years ago. He had been on lactulose for several years and Cisapride more recently, but still needed an occasional enema maybe once or twice a year for constipation.
I took him in for an evaluation two weeks ago because he was worried he was appearing slightly constipated. I was told he just had a couple of hard balls and they didn’t do an enema. He eventually pooped those out. His poop usually had a pudding consistency, but I was happy that it was at least coming out to be honest. The vet said she’d like to see the poop a little firmer, so suggested we cut the lactulose in half and double the Cisapride. Before I knew it, he was impacted.
It was Saturday and I needed to take him to ER. He was so impacted that he couldn’t pee. Or maybe it was a bladder stone. I knew he had peed the day before. They suggested the bladder may also have nerve damage. Two days, 6 enemas and $3600 later, they wanted to keep him another 2 days to see if he’d urinate on his own. $3,600 more that I couldn’t pay. He still wasn’t un-impacted and they weren’t certain he would pee on his own. With all of those unknowns, I set up in home euthanasia-for the next day hoping and praying he would at least urinate. I didn’t want him in pain. And he did urinate! He seemed so happy to be home and was playing and loving. He also pooped out a couple of hard balls. I happily cancelled the euthanasia thinking he just needed to be home to do it.
The next day I called my vet to get him in to then deal with any more possible constipation and they got him in a day and a half later as they were booked. I was hydrating him sub-Q and he was on increased lactulose and Cisapride. He was eating. He pooped out a couple more hard balls, but by the time the vet saw him, he was lethargic again, I knew the 3 day stay there would only be $650 and I had come this far with him. He had just been so happy and healthy seeming and it was worth getting him completely cleaned out.
Over the next 3 days, they gave him 2-3 more enemas and tried to manually remove the impaction. However, I received the call that it wouldn’t come out. They were sorry. I visited him and could see that he was uncomfortable at this point and looked depressed. I had already spent $4200. He had been through so much, and I chose not to do a colostomy because I just couldn’t afford another $4-5000. He had been through so much. I was absolutely devastated. I felt like I was hit by a truck... in shock. This was 4 days ago. How could he be so otherwise healthy except for a big ball of stuck poop?
But most of all, I feel like I let my baby down. I keep running through all of the things I would have done differently in my head. Beginning with the lactulose decrease/adjustment down to my financial inability to keep him at the critical care, and then not insisting hard enough that the vet see him the very day he came home. He didn’t deserve it. He was a good boy, and I loved him so much. I apologize for being so morose, but it all happened so fast, and I’m feeling a lot of pain at his loss.

Attachments

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My big bellied, cuddly 13 year old boy Truman was diagnosed with mega colon about 6-7 years ago. He had been on lactulose for several years and Cisapride more recently, but still needed an occasional enema maybe once or twice a year for constipation.
I took him in for an evaluation two weeks ago because he was worried he was appearing slightly constipated. I was told he just had a couple of hard balls and they didn’t do an enema. He eventually pooped those out. His poop usually had a pudding consistency, but I was happy that it was at least coming out to be honest. The vet said she’d like to see the poop a little firmer, so suggested we cut the lactulose in half and double the Cisapride. Before I knew it, he was impacted.
It was Saturday and I needed to take him to ER. He was so impacted that he couldn’t pee. Or maybe it was a bladder stone. I knew he had peed the day before. They suggested the bladder may also have nerve damage. Two days, 6 enemas and $3600 later, they wanted to keep him another 2 days to see if he’d urinate on his own. $3,600 more that I couldn’t pay. He still wasn’t un-impacted and they weren’t certain he would pee on his own. With all of those unknowns, I set up in home euthanasia-for the next day hoping and praying he would at least urinate. I didn’t want him in pain. And he did urinate! He seemed so happy to be home and was playing and loving. He also pooped out a couple of hard balls. I happily cancelled the euthanasia thinking he just needed to be home to do it.
The next day I called my vet to get him in to then deal with any more possible constipation and they got him in a day and a half later as they were booked. I was hydrating him sub-Q and he was on increased lactulose and Cisapride. He was eating. He pooped out a couple more hard balls, but by the time the vet saw him, he was lethargic again, I knew the 3 day stay there would only be $650 and I had come this far with him. He had just been so happy and healthy seeming and it was worth getting him completely cleaned out.
Over the next 3 days, they gave him 2-3 more enemas and tried to manually remove the impaction. However, I received the call that it wouldn’t come out. They were sorry. I visited him and could see that he was uncomfortable at this point and looked depressed. I had already spent $4200. He had been through so much, and I chose not to do a colostomy because I just couldn’t afford another $4-5000. He had been through so much. I was absolutely devastated. I felt like I was hit by a truck... in shock. This was 4 days ago. How could he be so otherwise healthy except for a big ball of stuck poop?
But most of all, I feel like I let my baby down. I keep running through all of the things I would have done differently in my head. Beginning with the lactulose decrease/adjustment down to my financial inability to keep him at the critical care, and then not insisting hard enough that the vet see him the very day he came home. He didn’t deserve it. He was a good boy, and I loved him so much. I apologize for being so morose, but it all happened so fast, and I’m feeling a lot of pain at his loss.
My heart goes out to you. I know you must be devastated. You sound like the most caring, attentive pet parent in the world. It sounds as though the end was inevitable and it was another pet situation where you're damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't. You're grieving deeply and so many of us experience what-if's and self loathing with the loss of a pet. As for the finances - that's on the veterinary community. It's outrageous that veterinary care is as expensive as human health care, and that we're made to feel that we either put ourselves into financial ruin, or keep our beloved animals here on earth. And that information on treatment and outcome isn't shared nationally so that informed decisions can be made by pet parents. You have NOTHING to feel guilty about and I'm sure that the last thing your beloved kitty would want is you blaming yourself.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for the loss of your Beautiful 13 year old boy, Truman... C Colleen12 ....:rbheart: :hugs:
Sending you Strength, Peace, and Love...for the pain that you have to go through. :alright::grouphug:
The Grief that you feel won't go away any time soon, because the Love and Bond that you have with Truman is so strong.
But this Love and Bond, will forever be with you....even if his physical presence is not.

Reading your post, I think you went beyond what a regular person could do...
And you did even more...:hugs:
So I don't think that you should feel guilty...that you did not do enough, nor had the proper finances.

When it comes to these type of decisions, sadly we must all decide what we can afford, which is reasonable within our means,... and also what is best for our cats, too.
(My cat had an enema only once, and even though it helped her, it didn't look too pleasant...so knowing that your strong boy endured multiple enemas...makes me think he was even stronger....to put up with that.)
Yes, he may have come through the surgery, but perhaps not. How would his quality of life been. How much pain and suffering would he have had to go through. Never easy or straight forward answers. And no one could predict them.

Sometimes, it's just their time to leave us, and even though we try and have some control over the situation, in all honesty...it seems to play out like it's meant to. :frown:
But I know that doesn't make it any easier.

I'm not sure if your Truman would have been able to make it, even if you had all the money in the world.
He would have tried, so hard for you, ..but it might have caused him even more suffering.
His body was just so tired, and probably affected by both the megacolon disease, and age, too.

I think he might have come home, and felt a lot better for that short period of time with you...because it was his way of saying, "thank you, for the wonderful life that we both shared, together, and for providing me with all the love and care a cat could want.":touched:💕

(My Vet said that when an animal is near death, they tend to rally...and get so much energy...(sometimes like people do), but it's only for a short time, before their body starts to shut down.) :bluepaw:
(A few of my previous rainbow cats, did tend to rally and then crash.)

I really don't know much about the meds involved with megacolon, but if you were able to give him 'good quality of life' ...for that last six or seven years.. with meds needed in the last few years...then that really says a lot in the caregiving he was given.
He for sure, knows that.
And there is no way, that he would want you to be sad, for too long.
Or feel guilty, and keep questioning your decisions.
The 'what ifs'...and "should haves"...are so normal though...but they will only lead to more circular thinking...and not really benefit you or Truman.
He would not want that for you.:hugs:

That's why I think he wanted to see you at home, before he passed.
Just to make sure that you will be all right...and to show you that he would be, too.:bluepaw:
May your beautiful cat, Truman, run like the Wind, over the bridge, and in heaven...where no health issues or pain exist.
And may he watch over you, and in time....may your pain lessen and only the good memories...of when he was with you in good times, remain.:rbheart: :heartshape: :hugs:

Last edited:

Koda&Jack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry about the loss of Truman. It really hurts to lose a friend that was so close to you. I’ve been through a similar situation and it takes some time for the feeling of grief to fade away. It’s a shock when one day their fine and the next their gone. Just know that you gave it your all and there was nothing else that you could have done. You shouldn’t feel guilty for any reason. You gave him the most fulfilling life you could and that is all that matters. There’s no point in beating yourself up over the things you could have done or should have done because they happened in the past. I’m sure Truman wouldn’t want you to remember him in that way either. The best thing you can do is just try to remember the good times you too shared. Rest In Peace Truman 🐱

FeeshaC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Omg! I can’t believe how much your story relates to mine. My beautiful Nora suffered from megacolon. When I adopted her, she had an old injury from living on the streets that partially paralyzed her intestine. Stool softener seemed to keep her going and she was ok for five years with occasional enemas. My vet suggested cisapride to improve her condition so we put her on it last year. Her constipation seemed to have been getting worse at the beginning of this year so we upped her dose slightly and a month later she died from a known risk of this drug - cardiac toxicity. I lost her three days ago and now can barely go through a few hours without crying until my face aches.

I should have read up on subtotal colectomies sooner. I thought it was a last ditch attempt at treating this condition, but its actually better as an early intervention. I feel like my negligence killed her. She was remarkably healthy otherwise. I should have asked more questions, got more professional opinions, advocated for her more, but I didn’t and now I have to live with my poor decisions and blindly trusting my vet, rather than going with my gut feeling. I don’t know if I can ever forgive myself. At the very least, I promise that I’ll never be lazy about a cat’s care ever again. I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I made the same mistake twice.

It’s a small comfort to know I’m not alone in my pain and guilt. I hope we can all learn to forgive ourselves for failing our furbabies. I know they would forgive us in an instant. They’re made up of pure love and innocence. All I can do is promise to do better. I hope that that is good enough.

My sweet girl. I love you so much. RIP. May you reincarnate into the healthy body you deserve. I’ll miss you forever.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
C Colleen12 and FeeshaC FeeshaC You both tried so hard to do what you could for your cats and nothing that happened is your faults.

Vet bills are prohibitive and if you even approach any high level care it always amounts to a four digit bill, often repeatedly. No one can sacrifice their personal well being and security for that kind of bill. A co worker of mine did several years ago, for a yellow lab with cancer, and ended up losing his house in the long run.

I do agree that animals rally near the end; so do people sometimes. It has happened to me at the vet's office even at the point of euthanasia. An almost comatose cat years ago stood up and tried to shake the needle out of his arm as the vet was prepared to release him. My grandmother in law asked for apple pie, ate it and complained about the crust not being so good, then passed on. I cannot tell you how many of my friends, dog and cat owners, have said that their pet suddenly looked remarkably well once they got to the vet for the final visit.

As for the use of cisapride, eventually we get to the point where a decision has to be made to try something that might have a risk because the condition is becoming more serious. As for a colostomy vs an increased dose of the drug, that is an unknown. When we lose our pets, most of us reframe everything that we did to make it clear that we made the wrong choices. Suddenly a colostomy sounds like a walk in the park compared to what happened; however, they are major and very technical surgeries that are not performed that frequently and really should be done by someone who is very skilled in performing them which opens up a completely new issue.