Mega colon and colectomy

jenpasqua

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has been living with constipation for years and has been sedated around 5 times to have several intensive deobstipations. The last one ended up really bad he ended up with a UTI. We are having the surgery on Wednesday. Most of the posts I have read are old. Anyone have experience with a colectomy. My cat is 7.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello, and welcome!
May I ask what you've been feeding him, and whether the water he is drinking is filtered?

I can't help directly about the colectomy, but this information is helpful for hydration in general;

Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake – TheCatSite Articles

this is from todaysveterinarynurse .com ;
making sure all water bowls are cleaned daily may encourage water consumption. Circulating water fountains can be provided for cats that like to drink running or dripping water, and multiple water bowls should be offered throughout the home. Also, the size and depth of water bowls may need to be considered, and different types of water (e.g., distilled, warm, cold) may need to be tried.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenpasqua

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is on the prescription diet biome and has soft food. We have also used royal canin prescription food. He has two filtered water fountains He has been on lactose and cisapride for years. This past deobstipation was really bad. The surgeon just called and they want to wait for him to be a bit constipated before they do the surgery. They think the issue is loss of motility.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He has two filtered water fountains
Is the water you're using really hard water? Are you filtering it before you pour it in the fountains? Try more water bowls, tall drinking glasses, everything and anything to help with hydration, since that is an enormous part of this especially after the surgery.

Did you mean lactulose? Can you use miralax instead especially since the lactulose isn't working? It doesn't draw moisture from the rest of the body like lactulose does, and more vets are suggesting miralax.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No experience with a colectomy yet - Daisy's five and has early megacolon, and has been on Cisapride and Osmolax (same as Miralax) for a few months, but the surgery doubtless waits in her future. I’ve found the Osmolax much better than lactulose, much easier to give to her - there’s even been times she’s wanted to drink it - less messy, and more effective. Good luck with the surgery!