Meet my new foster girl...Vixen

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

I am wondering if she gave birth BECAUSE she knew she was in a safe environment, rather than b/c of stress.
I hope that was the case.

Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

They are simply beautiful
I want the tortie!
Vixen does seem relaxed, this is such a wonderful thing you do
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

You'll have to fight me for the tortie

How beautiful!!
You two can fight over the tortie, but Susan likes her too. Of course England might be a bit too far for the baby!

Originally Posted by LDG

OMG!
I'm late to this thread but how amazing of you!!!!!!!!!!!!
And look how much I missed so quickly!

WHAT a gorgeous kitty! I'm so glad everything is going so well. I hope changing the linens went well.

Laurie
Changing the linens was a big stressful. I now know she's a feral. We set up a nearby box for her to run to and took the top of the carrier off. Instead of scooting into the box she did the feral ninja wall climb, and throwing herself at the windows.
She also peed on the floor and has not peed in the box. There is a urine-soaked paper towel in the box. Hopefully that will entice her. I have a question...if I had to resort to potting soil, which kind would I use, and is it safe now that she has newborns?

ETA: About 20minutes ago I realized a horrible smell was creeping through my apartment. A smell so vile it could only be one thing...nursing momma cat poop.
While I'm happy that she finally pooped, I'm sorry to report that it was not in the box.
It was where she had peed earlier, so I cleaned it up, soaked it in natures miracle, and then wisely placed the box in that exact location (and I put the poop in there and buried it...she can't but miss my point
). I've never had any cat not use the box properly (except for one adult male that peed all over the dry food...I think he wanted to keep it for himself :lol3), so this is new territory for me. She's either more scared, or more feral, or both, than I realized. Tomorrow I'll go get some feliway (should have done in the first place, but on such short notice I didn't think about it). I remember something called cat attract litter...how well does that work?

Originally Posted by katachtig

I hadn't noticed it before, but looking at her picture again, she has those same old-soul eyes that JinJin does. The type of eyes that say they've seen a lot in their short lives.
The first thing I said when I saw her was that she reminded me of JinJin. She doesn't look anything like her, and looks exactly like her if you know what I mean?
Originally Posted by Pami

Whats going on with the girls and the babies tonight?
I had to go to work tonight, which probably gave her a nice break.
When I came home tonight, I refilled her food, changed the water, took a quick head count to make sure everyone was moving, and I'm leaving her alone. She had such a stressful three days, poor baby.
Originally Posted by Marianjela

What a wonderful thing bringing her out of the elements - and just in the knick of time!
We keep saying that. The couple that trapped her says I should name one of the boys Nick...now I just have to see which ones are boys. The only one I'm sure of is the tortie.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

ETA: While I'm happy that she finally pooped, I'm sorry to report that it was not in the box.
It was where she had peed earlier, so I cleaned it up, soaked it in natures miracle, and then wisely placed the box in that exact location (and I put the poop in there and buried it...she can't but miss my point
This morning there was pee and poop in the box!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

This morning there was pee and poop in the box!
Pee and Poo in the box celebration dance.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Still pooping and peeing in the box!

I was looking over one of the kittens...we have fleas.
I do not know why they didn't treat her prophylactically even if they didn't think she had fleas. It puts the babies and risk, I risk a flea infestation, and my girls could get them. I'm really annoyed!

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so impressed that you have taken in such a beautiful girl and her kittens.

Congratulations on solving the kitty litter problem so fast! Sorry about the smell!

You probably know this, but kittens shouldn't be exposed to clumping kitty litter. It can swell up in their tiny tummies if they get any in their mouths.

Can you use Advantage on a nursing mother? Since the kittens are so close to her all the time maybe all the fleas will die?

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katie=^..^=

I'm so impressed that you have taken in such a beautiful girl and her kittens.

Congratulations on solving the kitty litter problem so fast! Sorry about the smell!

You probably know this, but kittens shouldn't be exposed to clumping kitty litter. It can swell up in their tiny tummies if they get any in their mouths.

Can you use Advantage on a nursing mother? Since the kittens are so close to her all the time maybe all the fleas will die?
Yeah, nothing smells worse than a nursing kitty mom's poop!

Yes, unfortunately when the kittens get to the litterbox phase I'm going to have to switch to clay.

I had a heck of a time getting anyone to admit that Frontline Plus was safe for nursing moms. I remember my vet saying it was okay a few years ago, but she was on vacation. I called the number on the box, and they said that on the new packaging it states that it is safe for pregnant and nursing moms. What's better is that she said that as long as they are sealed they were still good, so the one I have is fine!
She recommended flea combing the kittens, which I think I will do to be safe.

zoethor2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Yeah, nothing smells worse than a nursing kitty mom's poop!
This explains so much... I was wondering why Ms Friskers was smelling up my bedroom 16 times worse than she ever had before.

Oh the little things you learn...