Meet my handsome new man

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yep. So many sweet kitties out there who need homes. And I totally would have taken him regardless of the diagnosis at the time, I really did fall in love with him when I met him, from the moment I saw his gums I knew it wasn’t just gingivitis, I just wanted as much info as possible so I could be prepared, but the whole experience with them was pretty negative and demoralizing and their application was honestly just awful and asked nothing in regards to my experience owning cats, why I want a cat, how my place is set up for cats/what I provide for them, nothing like that (the rescue I got Moose from asked all these things and wanted pictures of my home, too)… it was all just questions like “how important is it that the cat likes children? how important is it that the cat likes to be held?” and I felt like I was just waiting around for them to eventually tell me they had given him to someone else despite knowing virtually nothing about me, or that I just wouldn’t hear back from them at all :dunno:

BUT I’d like to think these things all happen for a reason, had they communicated more and been a bit friendlier I would have waited it out instead of giving up hope and never would have gone to the SPCA/found this handsome little man who very much needs a cat savvy person to help him shine :blush: and clearly the SPCA thought I was great because they approved me the same day, which they apparently don’t usually do lol

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
“how important is it that the cat likes children? how important is it that the cat likes to be held?”
If the cat likes children and is affectionate, they run a much lower chance of having him returned. Those are really designed to make sure that they don't have to deal with any follow-up. They have nothing to do with the quality of care that the cat will receive in the new home.

Biomehanika

Adult Cat
Purraise
If the cat likes children and is affectionate, they run a much lower chance of having him returned. Those are really designed to make sure that they don't have to deal with any follow-up. They have nothing to do with the quality of care that the cat will receive in the new home.
Of course, and those personality matching questions are of course important too, but the fact that they didn’t ask anything about me/my experience with cats seemed kind of weird.

Anyways, I will stop derailing my own thread talking about all that, THIS THREAD IS ABOUT MY HANDSOME NEW MAN :vibes: who is currently hanging out in his crate, I am going to try to coax him out for some cuddles….

Attachments

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wellington is really quite cute but all my brain imagines when I think of it is Chef Gordon Ramsay yelling “THE WELLINGTON IS RAW!!” because Beef Wellington was one of the super difficult dishes he always made contestants on his show back in the day cook :flail:
Oh gawd, that would spoil it! Never watched the show so never heard it. :lol:

Biomehanika

Adult Cat
Purraise

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Usually, the sympathy is not with the hoarder, but his story is so different about how it happened and how he tried to help by not even buying enough food for himself. This is really an example of "no good deed goes unpunished" and he did the right thing to try to get help for himself and the cats. He would be thrilled to know that one of his is now in a great home! I wonder if the BCSPCA is giving him any follow-up so that he knows the cats are getting homes.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Horrible to think that during Covid, people just dumped taped shut boxes of cats at the end of his driveway in the freezing cold. I really hope he has peace, health & time to have a life separate from cats once in a blue moon!

Biomehanika

Adult Cat
Purraise
Well my little man is definitely a dry food addict! He was free fed dry at the shelter (and almost 100% likely at his old home too) with wet only once a day so I’ve been trying to get him onto the same feeding schedule as my resident cats (wet 3x per day, dry 1x) and it’s so hard. Sometimes he seems to really enjoy the wet and eats a good amount of it but other times he won’t eat more than 10-15 grams of it, if that! I don’t want the little dude to go hungry so I usually end up giving him some dry to compensate, but I really need to get him developing a taste for wet, especially since he’s a boy so I’m of course paranoid about urinary blockages. He does drink a lot of water though, so that’s good, but I might have to buy some “naughtier” brands of wet food I usually wouldn’t consider just to entice him and get him in the habit of eating it.

Also, he loves loves loves being brushed! I think it’s his favorite thing in the world at this point. I brushed him for the second time yesterday and he was just loving it, rolling and flopping around everywhere, circling me, and purring like a madman, which is great because he’s got a very floofy coat and sheds like crazy lol.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
He is probably thrilled to have enough food, with no criticism of the man who tried to rescue them. I was very glad to see that no charges were going to be brought against him. Cats who get started on dry seem to like it. Keep trying to get him to accept the wet, but at this point I would not leave him hungry. He needs to see that he will have enough to eat in his new home.

Graycie was a matted mess when I rescued her and she loves to be brushed. She will even come to get me if I don't get around to it.

Biomehanika

Adult Cat
Purraise
He is probably thrilled to have enough food, with no criticism of the man who tried to rescue them. I was very glad to see that no charges were going to be brought against him. Cats who get started on dry seem to like it. Keep trying to get him to accept the wet, but at this point I would not leave him hungry. He needs to see that he will have enough to eat in his new home.

Graycie was a matted mess when I rescued her and she loves to be brushed. She will even come to get me if I don't get around to it.
Yep, fed is best. He does eat some wet always, he just doesn’t seem to like it in the same way he likes dry so when he leaves a lot of it I always give him some dry to make up for it.

He just had a coughy type fit while laying down with me 🙁, he did it once before within the first 24 hours I had him too, but he had just gotten his FVRCP vaccine and they told me some mild URI symptoms/coughing was considered normal after that, so I didn’t think much of it. Could be a persistent hairball I guess (the amount of fur that came off him the first time I brushed him was insane) but I’m more so worried he might have asthma or something. Got it on video both times though so will show it to the vet when I bring him in on Monday.

Last edited:

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well my little man is definitely a dry food addict! He was free fed dry at the shelter (and almost 100% likely at his old home too) with wet only once a day so I’ve been trying to get him onto the same feeding schedule as my resident cats (wet 3x per day, dry 1x) and it’s so hard. Sometimes he seems to really enjoy the wet and eats a good amount of it but other times he won’t eat more than 10-15 grams of it, if that! I don’t want the little dude to go hungry so I usually end up giving him some dry to compensate, but I really need to get him developing a taste for wet, especially since he’s a boy so I’m of course paranoid about urinary blockages. He does drink a lot of water though, so that’s good, but I might have to buy some “naughtier” brands of wet food I usually wouldn’t consider just to entice him and get him in the habit of eating it.

Also, he loves loves loves being brushed! I think it’s his favorite thing in the world at this point. I brushed him for the second time yesterday and he was just loving it, rolling and flopping around everywhere, circling me, and purring like a madman, which is great because he’s got a very floofy coat and sheds like crazy lol.
The more you tell us about him the more convinced I am he's Daisy's very distant younger brother! Dry food - check (she likes the odd bit of wet but doesn't eat even a whole sachet). Loves being groomed and goes nuts purring - check. Super floofy coat that sheds everywhere - check!

Biomehanika

Adult Cat
Purraise
The more you tell us about him the more convinced I am he's Daisy's very distant younger brother! Dry food - check (she likes the odd bit of wet but doesn't eat even a whole sachet). Loves being groomed and goes nuts purring - check. Super floofy coat that sheds everywhere - check!
Haha, aweee. I think I saw a picture of Daisy in another thread awhile back and if I recall correctly they really do look a lot alike, but feel free to post another one here, for science :lol: