Meet Frankie!

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A couple of weeks after our Sammy died, one March afternoon a skinny black kitty showed up in our front yard. I went out there to check him out and he started to pour his heart out to me, chatting and chatting and chatting some more. I brought him some food and he came and ate next to me. Poor little guy was so skinny and so so friendly. And intact.

For the next few weeks we taught him to eat at a feeding station in our back yard where there was more privacy. He started showing up for breakfast and chatting sessions every morning and every evening, and slept on our deck. We decided to see if we could place him with a local shelter but had absolutely no luck, even though we volunteered to pay for his vet bills and offered a generous donation. When they heard he is black they all said nobody will adopt him and they already had a lot of black kitties.

After 10 days of trying to place him, he did not show up to eat for two days and when he reappeared he was very sick. Did not say a thing, looked lethargic and barely touched his food. We decided that we could not leave him out anymore (our main concern from the beginning about adopting him in our home was the fact that our Leo had a very difficult time accepting Sweet Pea and made life miserable for all our kitties; this is the reason we tried to find him a home). We took him to the vet and boarded him since he was running a fever. When he felt a little better he got neutered and then we brought him home and has been here, in his room for two weeks.

He is about 1 1/2 years old and an absolute sweetheart. We have been doing the scent swapping and are waiting for his pee to be less hormone stinky before we put the baby gates up and start the introduction process. He loves to sit on my chest and look me in the eyes. And he loves Da Bird.

Our sweet Sammy did a great job at letting Frankie know there is a vacancy at the Isaac residence.

So here is Frankie Isaac

http://tinyurl.com/3dqoe86

http://tinyurl.com/3f6yqrg

http://tinyurl.com/3h39yo5

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, Frankie looks so at home!!! Just hanging by the door stop!

Why don't people like black cats??? If they are so shallow as not to like a black cat, I would worry about the care any cat would get with those people.

Yes, Sammy did a good deed for his little friend.

And so did you.

He is precious!!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OH WOW is Frankie Isaac ever stunning, sleek and gorgeous. He looks so content and happy in his new home. Love the video, he is quite relaxed.
. Well, I guess congratulations are in order for your newest addition. Much luck with the introductions, and I am sure it will go off without a hitch.
. It is amazing how when one leaves us, another seems to find it's way into our lives and hearts

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Darn it, I don't have enough bandwidth right now to watch the video... but is he GORGEOUS or what?

Isn't it funny how sometimes we just seem to have no control over our rescue work?

Apparently
Sammy
felt you needed to put that room to good use as Sweet Pea hasn't needed it for some time now....

I hope that the intros go smoothly. I remember how scared we were with Chum given past experiences... we got lucky, and I hope you (and Frankie) does too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes farley, I wonder the same thing. It's all so terribly sad. I have had three shelters telling me that is more than likely that he would be a "lifer" with them; they all had black kittens they could not adopt out. He is very very social, and very subdued and we were concerned about putting him out again.

We checked the local ads and put fliers for him with no luck. Somebody loved him very much because he is so very social and cuddly.

Thank you Lauren. Yes, he is sleek looking, he's got a long thin tail, huge ears with tufts on the tips, and a tiny mouth. And now I clearly understand what you are all saying about the difficulty of photographing black kitties

Laurie, can you believe it all happened so fast? Last year I bought this beautiful cat statue for our patio and it looks exactly like Frankie, long and slender, with a long thin tail wrapped around the body, and an angular face. So it is meant to be...We will just take it very slow with the intros...

I just went to give him his wet food snack and clean his boxes. He cracked me up because he went in the box to pee while I was still getting the small clumps out. He also digs to China and throws litter everywhere

I have a question for you guys. We will have roof work done soon and am concerned about the noise. The work will last approx. 3 days. We have a split and Frankie's room is on the third level right under the roof. We have been debating about boarding everybody at the vet (except Sweet Pea), but am not sure about it. Chloe stresses out terribly when she is away from the house, and Frankie is still adapting to his new life. What would you do?

Marina

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The concern is just for the noise, right? No hole in the roof that will be covered with a tarp or something (fear or escape?)

If that's the case, in our experience, the stress of change in the environment they know is far less than being put in boarding.

They won't be working 24 hours a day - by day 3, they'll be somewhat used to it - and then it'll be over!

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you Laurie, I too was inclined towards keeping them home. I know they will hate it but it needs to get done.
Marina

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Marina
I also agree with Laurie
! For the last three days we have had a a guy working here in the house to install a new furnace/AC unit, it was WAY past due, many years LOL. Anyway, I had to keep all of the cats in the foster room for those three days because the guy was having to go in and out of the house alot and I didn't want any escapes. So they were at least safe in that room. They were none to happy about it and there was alot of noise downstairs in the furnace room (which is below the foster room), but I was surprised at how quickly they acclimated to it. I turned on the TV and had the volume up a bit.
You could also have some music going in Frankie's room and just spend some extra time in there reading, computer work, etc. Just to keep him company. As Laurie says, after the first day he will realize he is safe and it is just "noise", he will be just fine
and less stressful than being boarded

Lauren

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you Lauren
I know they will have a hard time with it but there is no other way. We had damage this past December during those terrible ice storms so the work needs to get done. It's Chloe and Frankie I am most concerned of. Chloe is terrified of noise and strangers, she hides when she hears the mailman on the porch (they all run but she is really really scared). And I don't know yet how Frankie will react to noise, he is doing OK with the big scary vacuum cleaner. I am glad to hear your little turkeys did well with the noise

Thank you Kailie, he most certainly did

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Marina, my Perla sounds just like your Chloe. Extremely afraid of people and strangers, except of course Larry and myself. If she thinks anyone is approaching the house, off she goes under my bed for the entire time the person is over. It is so unfortunate, my little
Perla, because she is the cutest thing you would ever see. Just adorable face and profile. She looks like the little girl from Whoville in the Grinch movie
. As a matter of fact, the guy is back this afternoon to put in a new vent downstairs to circulate air better in the house, so the "turkeys"
are back in their safe room and actually are getting used to the drill

Many vibes that your furbabies do good during the work
. They will survive, I promise you
. Much luck .

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you Lauren! Little Perla is your trouble maker, right? I LOVE her face. Yes, pretty much everybody at our house runs and hides when somebody rings the doorbell, when we have company, even when people walk in front of our house etc.

Tubi and Chloe did this even since they were little. Then when Leo came home, although he was not afraid of anyhting and anybody he joined them in the running and hiding, the typical "copycat" behavior. And not Sweetsie does the same thing. It is hilarious to watch them, they are really not afraid but run because it's the "thing to do".

Last night when I went to visit Frankie I was too tired to play with him. So I gave him his snack and told him I would just hang out in his room, and I just sat down on the sofa. He started eating but as soon as he saw me sit down, he stopped eating, chirped something and came running to my lap. He is really long and lanky and does not fully fit on my lap since he does not want to curl up, so his bum kept falling off my thigh. I ended up supporting it with my hand and he eventually found a comfortable position and stretched out his front paws and neck and rested his face on my thigh. So cute and so loving! Then he nibbled at my hand for a while and we just sat quietly together enjoying the closeness...His pee is not smelling anymore so this weekend we will put the baby gates up and start the intros. Leo, Tubi and Chloe saw him so far and he saw them.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had to laugh about your comment "It is the thing to do". I really think Perla taught everyone to scatter when someone approaches, because if Perla runs, then we all must run
. I think she does it on purpose just be controlling

AW Frankie sounds like a real lover and snuggler.
Wants loving over eating.... I can't wait to hear how intros go. I am sure it will be smooth sailing