Medicating for specific outing (grooming session)

MalibusMum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. I joined so I can ask this question.

I've searched and cannot find anything on Google or on here, so admin please delete if this is already covered somewhere.

RE: Clomav - otherwise called Clomipramine hydrochloride".

My question is : Does anyone know if this will work on an AS NEEDED basis? Or is it the kind that takes 6 weeks to start working?"
Thinking of using it just for a trip to the groomers.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Malibu's Mom.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a question for your vet to answer :)

I did find this on a reputable veterinary web site for pet owners: Several weeks of use are needed before a therapeutic effect is seen Clomipramine (Clomicalm, Anafranil) - Veterinary Partner - VIN

For a brief trip to the groomers or other place, your vet can prescribe a different sedative such as gabapetin. Bach's Rescue Remedy or Feliway may be options to use to keep a cat from stressing out too much.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Last edited:

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did your vet prescribe it specifically for grooming/travel related anxiety or for something else? I know it’s prescribed sometimes for obsessive overgrooming and it takes a while to build up in the body and actually have an effect, so I would be surprised if it was a good candidate for treating anxiety related to vet or groomer visits. You should ask your vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MalibusMum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI Everyone,
Thanks everyone for your responses, very helpful. I will not give it to him for the groomers visit.

It was originally prescribed for him last year. Short story is we got a rescue dog that was tested as Cat-Safe, and actually was too full on for my boy. For the 3 weeks we had her, she playfully chased my cat a lot. Malibu did not cope very well. He hid out for days at a time, not coming home, hiding in cupboards, stopped eating properly. So I got our vet to medicate my little guy to help him. Then we sent the rescue dog back.

We have some of the meds left over - as he's recovered.

I'll get the vet to give us something else more for once only.

Thank you so much everyone. I will have a good read of the other threads suggested.