medicating cat

preciouscat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I have to give my cat Metronidazole and Prednisolone everyday. I have it in the liquid form with tuna flavor. I tried the synrige for a couple of days, She hates me and runs away and I didn't know how to give her the meds. I have changed her food cause of IBD and she is on grain free rabbit and duck diet, I decided to put the liquid small amount of food for her to take it. She ate the food. I am just worried if it is okay put the liquid meds into her food is a good way to administer the drugs.

Any advice....thank you

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as they don't say something like "take on an empty stomach" you should be fine. Not sure any med for cats would say "take on an empty stomach" but you never know. What kind of med is that first one? The steroid should be fine mixed with food.

As long as you get it into your kitty, that's the important part. Have had to get seriously creative with giving my cats meds so rule of thumb - whatever we have to do to get it into them, do it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

preciouscat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Metronidazole  is a prescription antibiotic used in dogs and cats  to treat various conditions such as inflammatory bowel disease, nonspecific diarrhea disorders, infections caused by Giardia, and periodontal disease.

The meds are getting in just want to make sure they are getting in a way they should 

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as you are able to make sure they are getting the full dose, you should be fine. It doesn't hurt to run it by the vet of course. If you do give with food, better to give with a very small amount (with a lot of liquid, going by experience) to make sure they get the full dose. Mixing with a large amount would make it more difficult to ensure they are getting it all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

preciouscat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes i mix the meds with small amount and then once she finishes it I add more food to make sure all the med is in. :) thanks!