Medical mystery- cat keeps injuring her tongue

poohandwendy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I have been searching the net trying to find any information regarding why my cat keeps injuring her tongue and I keep coming up empty. I thought maybe someone else might either have personal experience with this or know more about something like it.

Lilo is 3, exclusively indoors- NEVER outside. About a year ago, I noticed she was drooling and not acting herself. Upon inspection, I found that she had a slice in her tongue along the side. Took her to her vet and he prescribed an antibiotic, did not do surgery because it looked like it would heal fine on it's own, which it did. Albeit, she definitely had a tiny notch on the side. He was certain it was not due to a fight with another of our cats, his feeling was that she somehow bit down on it and cut it with her teeth.

Just yesterday, I noticed she was drooling again and opened her mouth...AGAIN, her tongue cut open. This time was not so uncomplicated. This time, it was deep slit (on the side) with a flap exposed. This time surgery was inevitable. The vet removed the flap and dead tissue, then stitched it closed. Everything looks pretty good so far, obviously we are hoping she heals well and is back to herself soon. She will have to be fed wet food that has been pulverized with water for a while, the doc doesn't want her to feel the need to chew at all.

What makes this so mysterious is that the vet noticed that besides the original cut and this new one, she also had a few small scars of previous cuts in her tongue that must have been minor enough that we never noticed and healed on their own. (she was last seen by the vet for a regular check up about 8 months ago and these scars were not there then)

Her jaw alignment is perfect, her teeth are perfect, her tongue appears totally normal and not irregular (other than the cuts, obviously). We are all just baffled as to why this keeps happening. (her vet works only with cats, this is his area of expertise and he and his staff are just left scratching their heads LOL)

He does not think she is having seizures because he is pretty certain we would know if they were that severe. She isn't exposed to anything my other cats aren't exposed to in the house, no sharp objects, no food cans with sharp edges, etc. She has never fallen or anything like that, at least in our presence-- her balance is perfect and even if she has fallen, it seems odd that this has happened multiple times. We are all convinced that the lacerations are due to her biting down, perhaps when she jumps down off of something(?), but why it is happening is just a mystery. She is the only cat I have ever had who had such an issue. (we have 9 cats currently)

I wish we could figure out what the cause is so we can prevent it from happening, and thought maybe someone else in this vast group of cat lovers would maybe have an idea or insight? I feel so bad for my little Lilo!

So that is my mystery LOL, any ideas?

mnjulz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you changed her food at all? Could she be allergic to something and in turn her tongue swells causing her to accidently bite down on it? How about when she cleans her paws? Anything unusual there? Does she clean one of the other cats? How about litter. Could she be allergic to the litter and after cleaning her pads her tongue swells up? Seriously, how would a person know if there cats tongue was swollen. I would never think to look. I don't know just a few thoughts off the top of my head.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing I can think of is strings. . .some cats like to play with string and it can rip up their tongue like that. Or possibly her teeth are misaligned so that she's more likely to bite her tongue. That's all I can think of. Poor kitty!

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How often are you home that seizures are being ruled out? and when you noticed the ones anything the same of those 2 days?

I have seen dogs have seizures and do the same.

I would double check cat trees tho I would expect to have had more of the others injured if its anything like that. She hang anywhere the others don't? Under a bed that may have staples/"chhese cloth"?

Far as her biting down/jumping she have any weakness? Was any bloodwork run to rule out an early stage organ issue(diabetic cats are prone to losing muscle/feeling in legs so the glucose would show in bloodwork but double check)

I got more then you and never seen this either

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She could be in pain. I would suggest you have bloodwork done just to be safe. Cats, like people when they are in pain they grind their teeth or they bite their tongue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poohandwendy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all of your responses, I'm going to mention all of them to my vet and see what he thinks.

Her cut doesn't appear to be the kind a string would make, I think I can rule that out. And her jaw/teeth alignment is perfect.

There is almost always someone home here. I don't think seizures can be totally ruled out, just that the doctor thinks it's not super likely because no one has noticed ANY strange behavior or loss of bladder control or anything like that.

Allergies? Pain? Weakness? Definitely things I will run by my vet when I talk to him again tomorrow.

Nothing has changed in her food or litter, but that isn't really helpful because the first time this happened was about a year ago...so I can't be sure of anything really.

She is doing pretty well today. I was so impressed when I saw her tongue today when she yawned....omg, he did an excellent job with it! It just looks like a new tongue and it was so messed up, I don't know how he did it. She ate a VERY small amount last night but has refused it since. (although she is very interested, she just can't bring herself to tasting it. She has been drinking, which is good. Also urinating.

She definitely seems to have pain (who wouldn't?) and is most comfortable and relaxed when I lay next to her and keep my hand on her belly. LOL I barely got any sleep last night at all!

If she doesn't start eating by tomorrow afternoon, we have to come up with a solution (says the doc). She is taking her antibiotic by dropper fine, so maybe he will suggest I supplement her that way? I don't know.

Again, thanks for your responses!

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A/d is made to be fed to cats who are recovering-It SAVED my Gabby who had a bad outcome from going under(We think there is a heart issue that may have been there as her son has a heart murmur(tho he made it under just fine!)

I used to take a syringe and open the top(35 cc but not all way filled) and stuf the food in it and then cap it and turn upside down to take air out.

Gabby was very near death tho(would not move if you made her sit she'd fall over). My vet saved her life.

Also if so alert may try a popsicle/stick to put some wet food on tounge/mouth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poohandwendy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsallaround

A/d is made to be fed to cats who are recovering-It SAVED my Gabby who had a bad outcome from going under(We think there is a heart issue that may have been there as her son has a heart murmur(tho he made it under just fine!)

I used to take a syringe and open the top(35 cc but not all way filled) and stuf the food in it and then cap it and turn upside down to take air out.

Gabby was very near death tho(would not move if you made her sit she'd fall over). My vet saved her life.

Also if so alert may try a popsicle/stick to put some wet food on tounge/mouth.
She definitely is alert now, the only real issue is that the vet wants her to do as little chewing as possible so that her teeth don't have as much chance to rub against the wound and stitches. So I am liquefying her wet food with some water in the blender.

Glad to hear that worked for Gabby, I'll ask about the A/d...it's only found in vets offices, correct?

Thanks for your suggestion!