med talk?

minerva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, most of that stuff doesn't bother me, either, as long as people don't go into detail, like if someone tells me the graphic details of his colon surgery ,how they threw up all night or if i have to watch sb having their blood drawn, I get really weak in my knees!
Apart from that I only don't like medical talk around meal time...especially if someone talks about something rather intimate, like body fluids or such and I'll often say something like, "not at the dining table, please!" cause that kind of talk makes me lose any appetite very quickly.
anything else, whether it's watching an autopsy, surgery on tv, giving medical help to anybody...not a problem at all, I actually like it...

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ClaireBear

Not me, I can handle any kind of talk without ever getting faint.
I usually can too, if I don't wanna see something I just usually look away

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've worked in the operating room as a Surgical First Assistant for the last 25 years. The only thing that ever bothers me is when we're doing trauma surgery. It bothers me to know that the patient probably had to suffer extreme pain before we got them to the O.R. to fix them up. Most people are a little geeked out when they find out what I do for a living, but I really enjoy doing what I do. I couldn't imagine doing anything else!

Pookie & the girls

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I Love to watch DHC where they do the trauma and such, nothing really bothers me at all, except when the start putting those chest tubes in ACK for some reason my legs feel weird when i see that

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
With me, it is amputations. I'm not even picturing anything but I just feel my gut tighten and I feel sick and faint. It was really bad when my former boss had cut off the tip of his thumb. It was all bandaged so you couldn't see anything but for the longest time, I would feel light-headed when I was in the same room with him. It was embarrassing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cool! I'm glad to know there are a few people out there like me.

When I have kids, I don't know what I'm going to do if something happens to them...probably throw them in the trunk or backseat so that I don't have to look at them

Sometimes I try to watch DHC but once they get to the surgery part, OMG I'm flipping the channel.

Heck, I even tried reading about diabetes when B and I first started dating and I felt faint.

But I can sit through most horror movies without getting grossed out...

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

...When I have kids, I don't know what I'm going to do if something happens to them...probably throw them in the trunk or backseat so that I don't have to look at them
When it's your kid, you somehow rise to the occasion. You forgot yourself completely.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I figured out in nursing school that I could handle it all...and I can...just don't come at me with a needle to draw my blood or give me a shot, I get really pale (mind you, I was excellent at drawing blood and decent at initiating iv's..just get weak when it's me!).

And talk about procedures and me needing anesthesia, forget about it.