Meaty bites of cat food vs. meaty bites of human food

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby has been eating pates since deciding on her own to stop eating dry food altogether. She is waning from the pates, but does not like canned food that are chunky meats - she licks off the gravy and leaves the meat chunks behind. However, I can give her human food such as chunks of hamburger, turkey, tuna, filet, bacon, fish - you name it - pretty much any human protein and she readily eats them without issue.

What is the difference - does anyone know?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like your cat is a gravy licker.

Casper is, too! ;)

Some cats just like to lick the gravy off their food and leave the rest.
Sometimes, Casper will come back later and nibble on the rest.

You can actually buy some canned cat food that comes with extra gravy just for cats that are gravy lickers. :)

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hima is the same. My hypothesis for Hima is that she doesn't like chewing (probably due to her gingivitis) but she loves fresh cooked meat too much for her dislike of chewing to stop her. That and pate foods have everything totally mixed. Including that gravy sort of things they love. That must create a better taste and smell!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sometimes, Casper will come back later and nibble on the rest. You can actually buy some canned cat food that comes with extra gravy just for cats that are gravy lickers.
Unfortunately, she can't live off of just gravy whether it is an extra amount or not - and, Feeby never returns to eat the meat!!
My hypothesis for Hima is that she doesn't like chewing (probably due to her gingivitis) but she loves fresh cooked meat too much for her dislike of chewing to stop her.
Feeby does not have gingivitis or any real issues with her teeth/gums, so this probably doesn't apply - but it is a good theory for Hima!

Last edited:

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't be of much help, but my cat does the same thing. Any wet food products that aren't pate, he will just lick the gravy and leave the rest. But some chunky chewy bits of kangaroo? Chicken? No problem.

Frustrates me to no end, but at least it's not caused by a health issue and he is just lazy (I think) unless it comes to high reward foods such as raw.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't be of much help, but my cat does the same thing. Any wet food products that aren't pate, he will just lick the gravy and leave the rest. But some chunky chewy bits of kangaroo? Chicken? No problem.
Frustrates me to no end, but at least it's not caused by a health issue and he is just lazy (I think) unless it comes to high reward foods such as raw.
I am going to try putting one of the chunky canned foods in a blender and see what happens. I already have some cans that I previously bought, so might as well try and see what happens.